Options

Eddie as a songwriter

Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
I have loved Pearl Jam since the beginning so I guess I am biased when is comes to all things PJ. I have been talking to some of my friends and others about Pearl Jam and the lyrics. They are somewhat fans of the band but not die hard. I said that I believed Eddie was a great song writer and probably going to go down as one of the greatest song writers of all time. I know that is a huge thing to say. I really believe it. They laughed. My friends sad I was full of it and they didn't think he was that good of a song writer. I think a lot of non die hard fans don't look too much at his lyrics. Which is a shame. Still I believe when it is all said and done he will go down as one of the greatest song writers of all time or at the very least my generation. Any thoughts?
This is Not For You
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    I think that at times he is more of a poet. Just look at the lyrics from ITW!
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Options
    Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
    rafie wrote:

I think so too. I believe Bob Dylan is a poet also...in turn the two are great song writers...Is it that we the die hard fans are the only ones that think that of Ed or do others also?
    This is Not For You
  • Options
    bignumptybignumpty Posts: 139
    I have had similar conversation's with many people in the UK, many of whom are surprised to hear Pearl Jam are still going!!
    However, I am of the opinion that music is very personal medium and different character's have different taste's, not just music, but fashion, TV, sport etc.

Ed should be regarded with the great's, in my ears he already is.
  • Options
    ViolinViolin Posts: 22
    I think that the lyrics of Eddie are strongly related with some experience of his life, who don't know, can't understand the poetry of his words. For me he is poet!!!
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I also think he is a great poet. He helped me improve my English as well - when I started learning English at school I remember I sat there with the PJ booklets and tried to translate the lyrics because I wanted to know what was behind the music :D And I am still amazed by their subtleness, power and poetry.

For me, the music was first (I didn't know English then) - but the lyrics pulled me deeper into the whole thing ...
  • Options
    AELARAAELARA Posts: 803
    Leeze wrote:
    I also think he is a great poet. He helped me improve my English as well - when I started learning English at school I remember I sat there with the PJ booklets and tried to translate the lyrics because I wanted to know what was behind the music :D And I am still amazed by their subtleness, power and poetry.

For me, the music was first (I didn't know English then) - but the lyrics pulled me deeper into the whole thing ...

Me too! I usually want to know what my favourite songs are talking about so I always try to translate them. PJ songs have helped me improve my English. And yes, I think Eddie is a great songwriter and why not, a poet. But I understand that it's a matter of taste after all..
    I am mine!
  • Options
    rafie wrote:

ITW is a very poetic album..but I believe his is a songwriter first and foremost..put a guitar into that boy's hands, and thats when the poetry comes out.. :)
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    I think Eddie is one of the strongest songwriters there is, as well as one of the strongest singers - and it is the bond between his words and his voice which makes him so special. A word becomes a reality when he sings it. There are only a few songwriters who I think their words work just to read and not hear - Bob Dylan is probably the best example of this. I think some of Eddie's songs fall into this category, but that is not his forte.

What I have got most from Eddie's songs over the years is that he uses words which are deep conceptually, and concepts which are profound - but he uses them in a natural way - so unless you are paying attention they can just roll right by you. When you do pay attention though, they can seriously expand your mind, your horizons, and help you to get perspective and understanding on some very challenging situations you have to confront in real life. For this reason he is my favourite songwriter, for the words and the songs can always be applied to 'life', and don't just operate in a bubble in the song. Many of the songs carry much more weight when you have experienced situations in the real world. Kurt Cobain's songs I always found were weaker, because although they sound smart and sound real - they are often in my view kind of cartoony, and not based in the real world. For example, as a song to evoke the realities of mental illness - Lithium is more glamorous, romantic, sexy maybe, but Why Go or Off he goes go deeper in drawing from real life experience, rather than the imagination I believe, and I am pretty informed on this subject - and in the words of Hendrix, I have been experienced.

So I think Eddie's songwriting genius lies in his ability to translate traumatic real life experiences into words and sounds which not only communicate an experience, but almost always brings with it the understanding, passion, hope and energy necessary to rise above the experience. This is a rare talent - and whilst there may be better songwriters on paper, I don't believe there is anyone better at writing and singing songs that can lead to breakthrough and catharsis in the listener, and in penetrating difficult subjects with a deep, natural and profound insight and understanding.
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    I agree that he is a great songwriter and poet. I've been listening to PJ since they have been out. The funny thing is I had an accident and lost my memory. I got it back playing a PJ cd.How ironic.
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,888
    It's Eddie fkn Vedder.... He is what science has tried to figure out how does man carry tiger blood...(no offense Charlie Sheen, love Major League).. I don't consider him a poet, I consider him a musician.. I like Jack Kerouac and Hunter S. Thompson and consider them writers. And as it is they are in history as writers. Eddie fkn Vedder will go down as one of the greatest musicians..
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    Eddie is awesome, anyway you see it.

The only reason anyone cannot see that in his songwriting is because they aren't listening to the lyrics and feeling the music. I must say, my husband thought PJ was OK, until I had him read the lyrics as poems first and then have him listen to the songs. It ended up changing him, literally. He can now completely relate to the songs in the same way I do. In fact, Eddie's songwriting/poetry ended up changing our marriage for the better.

The other factor is, do your friends want to hear the underlying messages? Are they ready to hear what the songs will tell them about themselves? It can only touch those who are ready, like my husband, and myself, all those many years ago.

My key is to be aware that when a song evokes a strong emotion for me, it has something to teach me. In all respects, EV's is the only musician that can completely move me like that.
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    For me, one doesn't realize how gifted he is until they try to write themselves.

He is a master.
    I am continually blown away by his thoughts.

He is powerful and very connected to whatever that creative place is ....
    that comes from beyond....like revelations.... like genius.

I am thankful daily that he speaks to my very soul because Lord knows I can't put the words together.
    Very gratifying and satisfying ...love you Eddie!
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    For me, one doesn't realize how gifted he is until they try to write themselves.

He is a master.

I am thankful daily that he speaks to my very soul because Lord knows I can't put the words together.

YES, AGREE 100% :thumbup: :clap:
  • Options
    pandora wrote:

He is a master.

Wonderful post. I completely agree. His words have helped me express emotions I don't think I could have been able to understand or convey even to myself.
    Well, fuckers, he still stands.
  • Options
    Read some of Eddie's lyrics.

Then, try to write a song of your own based on your life experiences.

Read Eddie's lyrics again.

The man is a genius and should be held in as high a regard as a songwriter as...well, I won't say who I'm thinking of to spare any arguing...
    It's gonna be a glorious day...
  • Options
    VedHead2VedHead2 Posts: 112
    pandora wrote:

He is a master.

completely agree..People don't take the time to listen. I can't help wanting to make everyone listen! And it really ticks me off that most people have no idea what they are missing...
  • Options
    titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    I agree too, Eddie's lyrics to me seem more poetic, and emotional, and at time very personal. stuff that most of us ordinary day folk can relate to in one way or another.
    and i may be speaking out of my ass, and kick it if i'm wrong, but he reminds me of jim morrison, not that i'm too familiar with the doors, but from what i've read and heard, but as i say i might be talking crap on this one.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    I freakin' love Longing to Belong. I don't care what anyone else thinks. It's right on the mark for me.

and when the time is right, i
    hope that you'll respond
    like when the wind gets tired
    the ocean becomes calm
    i may be dreaming but i'm
    longing to belong
    to you
  • Options
    hockeygrrlhockeygrrl Posts: 141
    Eddie is a poet. A musician. A MAGICIAN. He has long spoken words that I have needed to say. He weaves words into intricate patterns. I am always trying to spout the deepness and the meaning of PJ and Eddie, and it mostly falls on deaf ears. Since I was 12 years old, Eddie has been speaking to me and for me.
    <b>One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain</b> <i>~Bob Marley</i>
  • Options
    Not that anyone who has heard Eddie's songs needs backing heres a site that I use often for Music info and history based on this fairly well respected and what i would consider unbiased and pretty fair and open minded site he is in good company!

http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_lyricists.html
    11/5/91: Troy NY "I Just Want to SCREAM... HELLO!"
    8/4/92:Saratoga NY 4/6/94:Mass 9/13/98:CT
    8/27/2000:Saratoga NY,10/04/2000:Montreal,Canada
    04/29/03:Albany, 5/12/06:Albany NY,10/31/09:Philly,5/15/10Hartford CT

• Options
    song writers...

i hear the music, the words are not always clear and sometimes i put in my own lyrics. deliberately or just misheard, i haven't looked up all the lyrics but the ones i have, are easy to enjoy. its easy to get lost, but know where its all going because you have heard it all before.
    I'm deliberately holding back from hearing/reading some lyrics properly, you know, looking them up might spoil something or change a meaning or not relate properly to that particular time in my life. i don't know, its a bit wired not knowing but i suppose that's just me. i hear a song, know most of the lyrics but dont know the name of the song. is that wrong?
    even the music (with out lyrics) aside is beautiful, powerful, and ready. not always written just by Ed but all the guys and without the words could be something different again and still amazing.
    add it all together and it just gets me and i will never get tired of it... hope it never stops
  • Options
    JP GrecoJP Greco Posts: 7
    Attaway77 wrote:
    It's Eddie fkn Vedder.... He is what science has tried to figure out how does man carry tiger blood...(no offense Charlie Sheen, love Major League).. I don't consider him a poet, I consider him a musician.. I like Jack Kerouac and Hunter S. Thompson and consider them writers. And as it is they are in history as writers. Eddie fkn Vedder will go down as one of the greatest musicians..

I particularly agree with YOUR post. I think Eddie is phenomenal as a musician AND a lyricist. In fact, for me, his abilities with songwriting as a whole are at a level that very few others are at. I've always been so amazed by his ability to come up with infectious melodies and music that it has been my mission to try to understand what makes him tick as a songwriter. For years, there has been something he has had as a songwriter and musician that I have tried to capture in my songwriting endeavors. I haven't tried to sound like him in any way, I've just always wanted to know how he manages to come up with such amazing stuff as frequently as he does, but in particular, how he gets such aggression out in his music and at the same time have it sound so freakin beautiful. What is is songwriting process like? Is there anything he does to get him into the right state of mind before sitting down to work on things? Any rituals or practices of any kind...
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    This is a non-issue. Eddie Vedder is an incredible songwriter! Everybody knows it...especially his peers. The people that laughed at you just don't know music history. I'm serious! They are foolish! Haters gonna hate. He is in the upper tier of songwriters in music history. I'm talking top 50 of all-time.

The man has music legends of the 60's, 70's and 80's recognizing him as a contemporary. Nuff said!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    VanOssieVanOssie Posts: 48
    Foremost, the man's a feeler. Had he no way with words, we'd get Arc and The Wolf and those infamous mumblings. No song-words necessary. Secondly, I'd call him a conduit, a channel through which those universal feelings spout. Participating as such, he now becomes our artist, one in a line as long and as varied as mankind, faced with the lofty challenge of translating the human condition into terms with which we groundlings can relate. I'm just thankful he got his hands on a guitar and mic as his tools of the trade ;)

Songwriter, poet, musician, painter, dancer, flippin' quilt maker-- all artists helping us make our way through life's grand quagmire.
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    VanOssie wrote:
    Foremost, the man's a feeler. Had he no way with words, we'd get Arc and The Wolf and those infamous mumblings. No song-words necessary. Secondly, I'd call him a conduit, a channel through which those universal feelings spout. Participating as such, he now becomes our artist, one in a line as long and as varied as mankind, faced with the lofty challenge of translating the human condition into terms with which we groundlings can relate. I'm just thankful he got his hands on a guitar and mic as his tools of the trade ;)

Songwriter, poet, musician, painter, dancer, flippin' quilt maker-- all artists helping us make our way through life's grand quagmire.

I like this! ;)
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,460
    tremors wrote:
    I think Eddie is one of the strongest songwriters there is, as well as one of the strongest singers - and it is the bond between his words and his voice which makes him so special. A word becomes a reality when he sings it. There are only a few songwriters who I think their words work just to read and not hear - Bob Dylan is probably the best example of this. I think some of Eddie's songs fall into this category, but that is not his forte.

What I have got most from Eddie's songs over the years is that he uses words which are deep conceptually, and concepts which are profound - but he uses them in a natural way - so unless you are paying attention they can just roll right by you. When you do pay attention though, they can seriously expand your mind, your horizons, and help you to get perspective and understanding on some very challenging situations you have to confront in real life. For this reason he is my favourite songwriter, for the words and the songs can always be applied to 'life', and don't just operate in a bubble in the song. Many of the songs carry much more weight when you have experienced situations in the real world. Kurt Cobain's songs I always found were weaker, because although they sound smart and sound real - they are often in my view kind of cartoony, and not based in the real world. For example, as a song to evoke the realities of mental illness - Lithium is more glamorous, romantic, sexy maybe, but Why Go or Off he goes go deeper in drawing from real life experience, rather than the imagination I believe, and I am pretty informed on this subject - and in the words of Hendrix, I have been experienced.

So I think Eddie's songwriting genius lies in his ability to translate traumatic real life experiences into words and sounds which not only communicate an experience, but almost always brings with it the understanding, passion, hope and energy necessary to rise above the experience. This is a rare talent - and whilst there may be better songwriters on paper, I don't believe there is anyone better at writing and singing songs that can lead to breakthrough and catharsis in the listener, and in penetrating difficult subjects with a deep, natural and profound insight and understanding.

What he said.
  • Options
    Not that anyone who has heard Eddie's songs needs backing heres a site that I use often for Music info and history based on this fairly well respected and what i would consider unbiased and pretty fair and open minded site he is in good company!

http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_lyricists.html

I was impressed by this site and its lists. Pretty cool. Thanks for the link.
  • Options
    I have loved Pearl Jam since the beginning so I guess I am biased when is comes to all things PJ. I have been talking to some of my friends and others about Pearl Jam and the lyrics. They are somewhat fans of the band but not die hard. I said that I believed Eddie was a great song writer and probably going to go down as one of the greatest song writers of all time. I know that is a huge thing to say. I really believe it. They laughed. My friends sad I was full of it and they didn't think he was that good of a song writer. I think a lot of non die hard fans don't look too much at his lyrics. Which is a shame. Still I believe when it is all said and done he will go down as one of the greatest song writers of all time or at the very least my generation. Any thoughts?

The longer Eddie goes the more I think about his place in rock history. What I like about Eddie the most is his versatlility for lack of a better word right now. He seems to have many of the qualities of the great legends before him rolled into one. He is a great lyrisist like Dillon, he is a great musician like well just about anybody, he is a great storyteller like Neil, he can hit the high notes, he can hit the low notes, he can work in a band setting, he can work solo, he is a great humanatarian, he cares about his fans.

Shit! What's not to like. The guy is just Epic.