How to Train Your Guitar Player

ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
edited January 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok, don't take this too seriously. I know what kind of a question this is.
Let me explain the situation: I consider the guitar player in my band an overall pretty good player. My tiny little problem is that he uses the wrong picks. sounds like a petty problem but it affects his sound and his playing more than you might think. He plays a thinline tele through a Fender Amp. This is already a pretty -to put it mildly- 'twangy' combination. But on top of that he uses the thinnest Dunlop Nylon(!) picks he could find (i think they're .60s). This makes for a really harsh and unfocused sound (because these pics further enhance his -again, to put it mildly- extravagant strumming). I've tried to gently steer him in the 'right' direction but he seems to really love the darn things and really wants to stick to them. He seems to be pretty ok with his guitar sound, but I like to think it's because he doesn't know better.
So my question would be: How would you deal with the situation? Would you try to make the best of it? Would you try to get him to rethink things? How would you do that?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I love my extremely light dunlop picks... Sorry but I'm being serious.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • No worries! I wasn't trying to force my opinion on anyone here. I'm perfectly aware of the fact that for cetrain peopple and in certain situtions they might be a perfectly fine choice. I suppose you use them for guitar and not for bass, right? I use .60s when I play acoustic. But the Tortexes I use are still a lot stiffer and sound far better than the Nylons. Even the thicker Nylons are still very flexible. But that's just my personal opinion.
    I think what I was going for with my post was more along the lines of what you might do when someone in your band makes an equipment choice that you really can't understand and whether or not you ever had that happen to you. I'm guilty of it myself. Lord knows I got some weird looks when I brought my synthesizer to a rehearsal. That thing really didn't get any love at all and I'm still trying to get the guys to like it.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Why not just buy him a few different kinds of picks and tell him you just want to see how the tone changes because you'd like to hear him have a little thicker tone for some of your songs. Be open.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • I would say, Pick your battles. If you end up in a recording studio, you can bring an assortment of picks (heavier nylon, as well as tortex and some other flavors) and see which yields the best tone for the recording. But for practice and shows, I'd just let it go.

BTW, I'm a huge fan of the Dunlop nylon picks, mostly because the textured grip is easy to hold on to. If you really wanna provide a viable alternative, get him a few picks with enhanced grip, and see if that works.

If it's an issue with flexibility, there's nothing that will replace nylon and be flexible, and that comes down to technique. And just like you don't tell your girlfriend she's got a fat butt, you don't criticize another guitar player's technique.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • No worries! I wasn't trying to force my opinion on anyone here. I'm perfectly aware of the fact that for cetrain peopple and in certain situtions they might be a perfectly fine choice. I suppose you use them for guitar and not for bass, right? I use .60s when I play acoustic. But the Tortexes I use are still a lot stiffer and sound far better than the Nylons. Even the thicker Nylons are still very flexible. But that's just my personal opinion.
    I think what I was going for with my post was more along the lines of what you might do when someone in your band makes an equipment choice that you really can't understand and whether or not you ever had that happen to you. I'm guilty of it myself. Lord knows I got some weird looks when I brought my synthesizer to a rehearsal. That thing really didn't get any love at all and I'm still trying to get the guys to like it.

Correct I go really light for guitar when I strum chords (0.46 mm). If I'm picking out notes I go slightly heavier (.60 mm) but not to much heavier. Now with an acoustic strumming I will use a 0.60 mm, but I typically play with heavier strings on the acoustic.

Now my reason for a really light picks are because I tend to strum hard. To hard actually. I have many bad habits when I play guitar. And I'm to hard headed to change.

Bass when I use a pick I stick with .73 mm or even a .88 mm depending on the tone needed.

Now in all I"m a die-hard Nylon fan. I like the flex.

Now dealing with other band members over the years, I've learn that it all depends on the player. Some take suggestions as creative criticism and take it well, and give things a shot. Others are instantly offended. Been down both roads. I hope it works out for you.

Maybe if you guys can record something, and have him do it both ways. Maybe that's all he needs to hear?

Crap I ramble....
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • With my bass I use 1.14 Ultexes. They're really great because the grip on those is much better than with the Tortexes. I can really recommend giving those a try. When I play electric I usually go for .73 or .88 Tortexes but I'll probably switch to Ultexes there too when I need new pics.

We're very good freinds so I can talk to him about things like that and I have in the past. His playing is nothing that I couldn't live with or even really dislike, otherwise we wouldn't be in an band together. And as it's nothing too serious, I'm not going to make this an issue between us. I'll probably just let it slide and maybe just go on teasing him about it every once in a while. :) Maybe I can get him to go through a fex examples next time we get into a music store.
    Interestingly, in the studio stuff like that was never really a problem, because there we'd all really try to find the best compromise of feel and sound. So we would all end up trying out equipment and approaches that might help the end result but weren't necessarily our personal first choice. I'm very glad that that works for us.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    With my bass I use 1.14 Ultexes. They're really great because the grip on those is much better than with the Tortexes. I can really recommend giving those a try. When I play electric I usually go for .73 or .88 Tortexes but I'll probably switch to Ultexes there too when I need new pics.

We're very good freinds so I can talk to him about things like that and I have in the past. His playing is nothing that I couldn't live with or even really dislike, otherwise we wouldn't be in an band together. And as it's nothing too serious, I'm not going to make this an issue between us. I'll probably just let it slide and maybe just go on teasing him about it every once in a while. :) Maybe I can get him to go through a fex examples next time we get into a music store.
    Interestingly, in the studio stuff like that was never really a problem, because there we'd all really try to find the best compromise of feel and sound. So we would all end up trying out equipment and approaches that might help the end result but weren't necessarily our personal first choice. I'm very glad that that works for us.
    It's funny you mention the grip. I soak my tortex's (I know I"m weird) to get some of the stickyness off them.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V