City in ruins

chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    At least the Red Wings are still kicking ass.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    When I saw the title of this thread I was going to make a smart-ass remark that you must be referring to Detroit ... and alas, you were (sigh).

Someone sent me a link of pictures of Hiroshima 65 years after the A-bomb and it is a vibrant city with a bustling economy and amazing architecture. It then has a series of picture of Detroit 65 years after the A-bomb went off … and it looks like an A-bomb went off!!

I hope they follow through with plans to turn vacant lots into farmland. There is a lot of cleaning up to do in that city. Good luck, Detroit.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408

Pictures like this are slightly sad but fascinating at the same time. :geek:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Justam yes it's sad to see the buildings all falling apart, they look like they were beautiful in their heyday. They do have a strange dark beauty to them though.

Jason it's a shame for sure, the idea of making the terrain into farmland is a nice one.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,828
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    edited February 2011
    I'm from the Detroit area. I loved the Chrysler Super Bowl ad featuring Detroit (though I don't care for Eminem).

Detroit is a very interesting city, and people from here usually are very proud and defensive of it. The rise of the Big Three enabled many people from all walks of life to obtain jobs where they earned decent wages and could better themselves and their families. My grandpa emigrated from post WWII Europe with literally nothing. Through working for Ford, he was able to buy a house and provide for his family. He also sent money to a few of our relatives, so they could come to America too.

The American auto industry gave people the monetary means to get out of the city, and they did. Auto workers bought homes in the suburbs, and cars for themselves, so they could commute. The nature of the industry that helped build Detroit also helped lead to the demise of the city. Of course, there are many other factors, especially recently. But there are still over 4.4 million people living in the metro-Detroit area, and only about 900,000 in the city itself.

Usually people who bash Detroit have never actually been there. The Fox Theatre (featured in the Super Bowl ad) is breathtaking, and the stretch of Woodward Avenue between 6 Mile and 7 Mile was the first mile of road in the world to be paved with concrete.

Go Wings! And the Lions were the last team to beat the Packers this season. ;-)

EDIT: Detroit's city motto is "Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus," which is Latin for "We Hope For Better Things; It Shall Rise From the Ashes." How fitting.
    Post edited by MFCarissa on
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.

• The Michigan Central Station was actually designed by the same architects who designed NYC's Grand Central Terminal. It's really a shame to see trees growing out of it now. I recently heard about a group that wants to build a skate park and small outdoor concert venue around it.

This article is about a group of Lions fans that tailgate in an abandoned theater: http://www.freep.com/article/20110102/SPORTS01/101020680/1049/sports01 I thought it was pretty cool and creative.
  • Great posts MFCarissa :) Thanks for the link Chiqui. The images are very striking and sad.
    It really makes you think of how quickly things can change in such a short time.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • These videos are really neat if you are interested in taking a deeper look inside Detroit: http://www.palladiumboots.com/exploration/detroit
  • I've made this argument before, but I think it's crazy that the government pumps out relief money on a continual basis to cities that are built in places called "Tornado Alley" and to cities built under sea level, but Detroit won't ever see a cent from FEMA. Can we not designate urban decay as a natural disaster? Love Canal up here near Buffalo received money from FEMA when corporations put toxic waste in the ground. Love Canal was designated as a natural disaster but Detroit's urban decay is not. The location of Detroit was not fortuitous. Detroit was built in a part of the country with an extremely low risk of natural disaster and now it's paying the price for its good planning.

Tell me which is more fair: Wealthy businessmen receiving aid from the government after every earthquake along the San Andreas fault to continually rebuilt their places of business not up to standards to keep them well protected from seismic activity, or Detroit's 100 year old buildings simply crumbling from the test of time because no natural disaster has come around to destroy them earlier.

Until the government identifies urban decay as a natural disaster, I fear Detroit will never grow back into the proud city it used to be.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    MFCarissa wrote:
    Usually people who bash Detroit have never actually been there. The Fox Theatre (featured in the Super Bowl ad) is breathtaking, and the stretch of Woodward Avenue between 6 Mile and 7 Mile was the first mile of road in the world to be paved with concrete.

Nasty city. Yes, i have been there plenty of times. I've been to dozens of cities from east coast to west coast and detroit ranks right at the bottom as my least favorite places to go.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    MFCarissa wrote:
    These videos are really neat if you are interested in taking a deeper look inside Detroit: http://www.palladiumboots.com/exploration/detroit

This is interesting.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    Big Drop wrote:
    I've made this argument before, but I think it's crazy that the government pumps out relief money on a continual basis to cities that are built in places called "Tornado Alley" and to cities built under sea level, but Detroit won't ever see a cent from FEMA. Can we not designate urban decay as a natural disaster? Love Canal up here near Buffalo received money from FEMA when corporations put toxic waste in the ground. Love Canal was designated as a natural disaster but Detroit's urban decay is not. The location of Detroit was not fortuitous. Detroit was built in a part of the country with an extremely low risk of natural disaster and now it's paying the price for its good planning.

Tell me which is more fair: Wealthy businessmen receiving aid from the government after every earthquake along the San Andreas fault to continually rebuilt their places of business not up to standards to keep them well protected from seismic activity, or Detroit's 100 year old buildings simply crumbling from the test of time because no natural disaster has come around to destroy them earlier.

Until the government identifies urban decay as a natural disaster, I fear Detroit will never grow back into the proud city it used to be.

while i will agree with part one of your arguement, there are loads of buildings around the country that are 100+ years old that are doing just fine.

detroit is falling apart because people there never cared enough to take care of the buildings that are falling apart.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:

Nasty city. Yes, i have been there plenty of times. I've been to dozens of cities from east coast to west coast and detroit ranks right at the bottom as my least favorite places to go.

It's certainly not for everyone.
  • 81 wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:
    I've made this argument before, but I think it's crazy that the government pumps out relief money on a continual basis to cities that are built in places called "Tornado Alley" and to cities built under sea level, but Detroit won't ever see a cent from FEMA. Can we not designate urban decay as a natural disaster? Love Canal up here near Buffalo received money from FEMA when corporations put toxic waste in the ground. Love Canal was designated as a natural disaster but Detroit's urban decay is not. The location of Detroit was not fortuitous. Detroit was built in a part of the country with an extremely low risk of natural disaster and now it's paying the price for its good planning.

while i will agree with part one of your arguement, there are loads of buildings around the country that are 100+ years old that are doing just fine.

detroit is falling apart because people there never cared enough to take care of the buildings that are falling apart.

I can't force you to agree with me, all I can do is put my argument out there. Detroit has certainly not received much help from external sources in its upkeep, which is more than can be said for many of the other "beautiful" cities in America.
    You need strong city leadership to push change and citizens that want change. Detroit has suffered greatly under their "hip hop" mayor and other leadership that only cared about lining thier own pockets.

IMO, federal money shouldn't be spent on Detroit or any other city to make it "great". the locals need to foot that bill and drive that change.

cities can transform. Buffalo is a great example. Toledo is going thru that process now as well. Until about 10 years ago, if you went to downtown Toledo after 5pm, it was a ghost town. Now they have a number of eateries, high rise apartments and entertainment (new ball park and hockey rink). They are currently developing the river front to make downtown all that more inviting.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • You can find a lot of ruins in Philadelphia as well - it's just a thing about having a manufacturing past.

I think with the excellent products GM is currently producing that some turnaround is in store, but it's not going to get back to what it was.

Also, I have been to Detroit, and it is a seriously depressing place. I did love Tiger Stadium and was glad to have made it to a game there.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • 81 wrote:
    You need strong city leadership to push change and citizens that want change. Detroit has suffered greatly under their "hip hop" mayor and other leadership that only cared about lining thier own pockets.

IMO, federal money shouldn't be spent on Detroit or any other city to make it "great". the locals need to foot that bill and drive that change.

cities can transform. Buffalo is a great example. Toledo is going thru that process now as well. Until about 10 years ago, if you went to downtown Toledo after 5pm, it was a ghost town. Now they have a number of eateries, high rise apartments and entertainment (new ball park and hockey rink). They are currently developing the river front to make downtown all that more inviting.

I completely agree with you. Kwame was a bad dream that Detroit would like to forget about. I think the people of Detroit are tired of being the butt of every joke and really want to make themselves relevant again. I really believe in the next 10 years or so will find the inertia it needs to get moving the same way. I just think that the city that gave the world the automobile hasn't gotten much in return from the world. Sometimes all it takes is the tiniest push to get the ball rolling. Whether it's the government's job to give that push is an argument for another thread I suppose.
  • Big Drop wrote:
    Whether it's the government's job to give that push is an argument for another thread I suppose.

Didn't the government already do that with the bailout loans? Not that they haven't worked out well, but I'm not sure what else the government can do. I don't see the government fixing up buildings in my city, where downtown used to be a ghost town after 5pm as well, and is now awesome. Matter of fact, the government did nothing when dozens of manufactuers left the city or went belly up. We just moved on and found other ways.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    seriously, they need to pick a spot and start dozing and building new stuff.

just pick an area that is a couple of square miles near the downtown stadiums and doze it. build some cool housing, restraunts and shopping. than police the shit out of them so you don't get any bad shit going on and you get solid citizens living there. than do anouther neighbor hood.

just a thought....

of course there will need to be job creation to make it work and finding of money to do it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Things are rough here.
    But never as bad as people (mostly people who don't live or work here) want to tell you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/20/dining/20Detroit.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

This restaurant is one of the more popular ones in the city. It is literally just across the cobblestones from the old train station. It is on a street in Corktown full of bars and restaurants that always seem to have lines out the doors, but does that get a photo blog.
    Nope. It doesn't fit in with the beaten-to-death-and-then-warmed-over idea that Detroit is dead. It's not. It's going through a rough time.
    Work needs to be done, and plans are in place. I might never see it in my lifetime, and the city will never climb back to the greatness it had during the auto boom.
    But the city will be economically viable again.
    And probably much smaller.

If you're interested:
    http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/16/shrinking-detroit-back-to-greatness/
    http://www.newsweek.com/2009/09/11/make-the-motor-city-smaller.html
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • It's going to be a lot harder and take a lot longer for Detroit to recover compared to places like Buffalo and Toledo, because it fell from a much higher peak and left a lot more voids. The videos I posted earlier in this thread do a good job of addressing the citizen movements going on. The economy in the Detroit area is long overdue for some diversification, and the state tax breaks over the last few years to the film industry were a step in the right direction.
    i'll check out some the links later.

but i agree, detroit proper will be smaller. it was a while back, there was talking about turning off services to certain parts of town because only one or two people lived on a block. becomes very expensive to maintain that sort of infastructure with so few people in an area.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    seriously, they need to pick a spot and start dozing and building new stuff.

just pick an area that is a couple of square miles near the downtown stadiums and doze it. build some cool housing, restraunts and shopping. than police the shit out of them so you don't get any bad shit going on and you get solid citizens living there. than do anouther neighbor hood.

just a thought....

of course there will need to be job creation to make it work and finding of money to do it.

That's going on.
    Here's your first neighborhood- http://detroitmidtown.com/05
    But it's illegal to just start "dozing and building new stuff." The city doesn't own all the property inside of it. If there is a block of abandoned buildings and just one house with people living in it, that presents problems. Dave Bing (mayor) started a plan to "right-size" the city two years ago, and there are properties being razed. It's going to take time, and it's not as simple as just knocking shit down.
    One of the biggest problems (that seems ridiculous to me) but the law requires them to remove all the asbestos from a building before they knock it down... so you can imagine the time and expense involved.
    But it's happening. Slowly.

Here's more info http://detroitworksproject.com/
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
    81 wrote:
    i'll check out some the links later.

but i agree, detroit proper will be smaller. it was a while back, there was talking about turning off services to certain parts of town because only one or two people lived on a block. becomes very expensive to maintain that sort of infastructure with so few people in an area.

Exactly.
    That's another part of the mayors plan, to not extend city services like you said. Also, they are closing most of the schools and keeping three or four open. The mayor has also offered certain incentives to city workers (police, fire, city government workers) who will live in the city.
    They are extremely small steps, but steps in the right direction.
  • Slows BBQ is fantastic. The guy who owns it is quite young, and his mission is to buy up old buildings in Detroit and turn them into restaurants and night spots. He recently bought a run-down building near the Wayne State University campus and transformed it into Slows To Go, because the demand at the original Slows was overwhelming.
  • Thank God for Dave Bing. His head seems like it is in the right place. Kwame was like a nightmare you couldn't escape from. I'm still convinced that he found ways to rig his re-election, because he was losing in the polls by a lot (well beyond the margin of error), even on election day.
  • MFCarissa wrote:
    Slows BBQ is fantastic. The guy who owns it is quite young, and his mission is to buy up old buildings in Detroit and turn them into restaurants and night spots. He recently bought a run-down building near the Wayne State University campus and transformed it into Slows To Go, because the demand at the original Slows was overwhelming.

Slows is like sex for my mouth. But in a not dirty way. I guess I could have described that better.

Anyways, the guy who owns Slows is looking to buy up the old Train Station and turn it into a skate park.
  • Big Drop wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:
    Slows BBQ is fantastic. The guy who owns it is quite young, and his mission is to buy up old buildings in Detroit and turn them into restaurants and night spots. He recently bought a run-down building near the Wayne State University campus and transformed it into Slows To Go, because the demand at the original Slows was overwhelming.

Slows is like sex for my mouth. But in a not dirty way. I guess I could have described that better.

Anyways, the guy who owns Slows is looking to buy up the old Train Station and turn it into a skate park.

Well, from my understanding, he isn't going to quite buy it up. He wants to build a skate park and small amphitheater in the shadow of Michigan Central Station, and thus force whoever does own it to make something of it.
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    The photo of the abandoned library is the most haunting, books scattered, like everybody just walked out one day and never came back. Looking in from the outside it is very sad, but unfortunately its the peoples problem and if enough people want to do something about it then there may be hope, if not, well....
    all you need is love, love is all you need