How would you handle this?

Cradles Broken GlassCradles Broken Glass Posts: 1,409
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
It's my second semester in grad school and I have yet to meet all the teachers in my program. So, I'm in a class this semester and I've never met the teacher, also due to MLK day and snow days, we have actually yet to have class. We have been doing on-line assignments. I take my school work very seriously, so I'm really upset about this and possible making a bad first impression. I called the campus bookstore last week to find out if the book for the class was in-stock and how much. The girl on the phone said they didn't have any, but they can order it. So, I just ordered it off of Amazon, even though it didn't save me any money (which is why I usually order school books online). We had three assignments due last weekend, two from extra readings found online and one from the textbook. I did my best to complete the assignment even without the text and I let my teacher know what was going on, he said that i should just redo it when I get the book and resubmit it. All of this is ok. However, today I got this mass email from him:

I have received most of your homework due last Monday 01/17. Please review the syllabus regarding the late work policy, and respond to me through the e-mail if you don't haven't completed this first assignment.

Also, the textbook has been available, so that's not a good reason for not having the assignments done. The bookstore will also ship you your book, if you feel inconvenienced by the drive. Please call the bookstore for instructions on how to purchase and ship the book:

I'm so pissed right now. First if he thought I was BSing, he I think he should have just sent me a personal email. Also, I'm really worried a bad start will make this semester hell for me in his class. I'm thinking about calling the bookstore and at least letting them know about it.
Hearts and thoughts they fade....
fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It's my second semester in grad school and I have yet to meet all the teachers in my program. So, I'm in a class this semester and I've never met the teacher, also due to MLK day and snow days, we have actually yet to have class. We have been doing on-line assignments. I take my school work very seriously, so I'm really upset about this and possible making a bad first impression. I called the campus bookstore last week to find out if the book for the class was in-stock and how much. The girl on the phone said they didn't have any, but they can order it. So, I just ordered it off of Amazon, even though it didn't save me any money (which is why I usually order school books online). We had three assignments due last weekend, two from extra readings found online and one from the textbook. I did my best to complete the assignment even without the text and I let my teacher know what was going on, he said that i should just redo it when I get the book and resubmit it. All of this is ok. However, today I got this mass email from him:

I have received most of your homework due last Monday 01/17. Please review the syllabus regarding the late work policy, and respond to me through the e-mail if you don't haven't completed this first assignment.

Also, the textbook has been available, so that's not a good reason for not having the assignments done. The bookstore will also ship you your book, if you feel inconvenienced by the drive. Please call the bookstore for instructions on how to purchase and ship the book:

I'm so pissed right now. First if he thought I was BSing, he I think he should have just sent me a personal email. Also, I'm really worried a bad start will make this semester hell for me in his class. I'm thinking about calling the bookstore and at least letting them know about it.

I would just politely remind him about your earlier exchange.. maybe he forgot, or maybe too many people started complaining and he found that the book was available through other outlets too.. Hard to say, but your main question is 'how would I handle this'? personally I'd get drunk and party because it NEVER snows in south florida! :D
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • That's what i mean, I just want to make sure I handle it right with my teacher so I don't make him a mortal enemy. Also, sorry for the terrible wording in my first post, I'm just really upset right now and since my husband is at work, I needed some helpful advice. Thanks guys!
    fade away...

• give him an apple.
    with a worm in it.
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    edited January 2011
    Seriously, let it lie, bring him/her an apple, do better on your next assignment(s) shit happens but there's no sense stirring the pot. It's still the beggining of the semester and you have plenty of time to kiss her/his ass ;)
    Post edited by Cree Nations on
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • I would have bought my textbooks BEFORE the start of the semester.
  • I would have bought my textbooks BEFORE the start of the semester.

Yes, but when you have around $10 in the bank, that's not always possible. ;) I usually try to do that, but it wasn't an option for me this semester.
    fade away...

• unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    So having been a grad school student, and later grad school faculty, I would advise that you put this behind you and just move forward.

Honestly, it's not worth it to get into a pissing contest with faculty at any time.

Just remember, at the end of the semester you likely have a chance to evaluate your teacher.

;)
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • So having been a grad school student, and later grad school faculty, I would advise that you put this behind you and just move forward.

Honestly, it's not worth it to get into a pissing contest with faculty at any time.

Just remember, at the end of the semester you likely have a chance to evaluate your teacher.

;)

Thank you, Unlost, that is helpful advice. I decided to send him just a short email that reminded him what happened in my case:

"I'm not sure if I may have had someone who didn't know what they were talking about, but the girl I spoke with last week told me that the text book was out-of-stock, but they could order it. So, I thought it would be just as fast for me to order off of Amazon, the cost of the book was the same, so I didn't save any money. I just don't want you to think that I was trying to get out of doing the Ch 1 assignment. I'm hoping the book will come in the mail today. I ordered all of them last week and so far every book, but this one has arrived. Hope you're having a good snow day!"

I hope that sounds ok, I just didn't want him to think I'm lying, but also didn't want to stir up more crap. Anyway, I'm still planning on redoing the assignment and sending it to him with a thank you note. Sometimes the less you say is the better, but I wanted him to know that I did make the effort to get the book. The email he sent kind of had a "ass-chewing" undertone, which scares the crap out of me. Thanks guys for the advice!
    fade away...

• unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    So having been a grad school student, and later grad school faculty, I would advise that you put this behind you and just move forward.

;)

Thank you, Unlost, that is helpful advice. I decided to send him just a short email that reminded him what happened in my case:

"I'm not sure if I may have had someone who didn't know what they were talking about, but the girl I spoke with last week told me that the text book was out-of-stock, but they could order it. So, I thought it would be just as fast for me to order off of Amazon, the cost of the book was the same, so I didn't save any money. I just don't want you to think that I was trying to get out of doing the Ch 1 assignment. I'm hoping the book will come in the mail today. I ordered all of them last week and so far every book, but this one has arrived. Hope you're having a good snow day!"

I hope that sounds ok, I just didn't want him to think I'm lying, but also didn't want to stir up more crap. Anyway, I'm still planning on redoing the assignment and sending it to him with a thank you note. Sometimes the less you say is the better, but I wanted him to know that I did make the effort to get the book. The email he sent kind of had a "ass-chewing" undertone, which scares the crap out of me. Thanks guys for the advice!

That seems like an appropriate email for you to send...

Faculty get cranky, too. Just ask any of my students who showed up a nanosecond late for clinical. (Only one did, one time. Ever.)

The Unlost Dogs nursing students were a prompt, well-prepared bunch. :twisted:
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)