Options

Black Keys cancel tour

ParksyParksy Posts: 1,678
edited January 2011 in Other Music
So The Black Keys recently cancelled their tour of Austrailia, New Zealand, and Europe.

Their reason: exhaustion.

Your thoughts?

I'm not a 'fan' of Black Keys. I'm REALLLLLLY digging their stuff lately.

But I dunno.. I think for the fans you motor through and play some shows. I look at it almost as a contract... and now you're not fulfilling your end of the contract. If they're getting tired of the new found fame.. they can always turn down interviews and what not... but to cancel a tour for fans seems harsh.

that's just me though.

If this was Pearl Jam... imagine the backlash. :)
Toronto 2000
Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
Boston I&II 2004
Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
Toronto I&II 2011
Buffalo 2013
Toronto I&II 2016
10C: 220xxx
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,922
    I'm NOT saying this is the case, but "exhaustion" is usually used as a euphemism for addiction (drugs or alcohol), a mental breakdown or something equally as debilitating.

I agree, it sucks for those fans, but think of how awful the show(s) could/would be if the band cannot just soldier on. I'd rather they stop, get healthy and then come back and blow me away.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i am holding tix for the black keys aborted gig at the enmore theatre in sydney on january 29th. atm there is a 3km exclusion zone around me whilst i deal with this. im extremely disappointed cause they are one of my fave live bands. they just rock me every single time i see them. plus this time they were being supported by the greenhornes who i was also very much looking forward to cause i havent seen them for a few years.

so my thoughts on this are... it fucking sux massive.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I'll weigh in.

You have to have faith that the band must really be at wits end. You hope that if they go as far as cancelling the tour they are at the point were they are saying "fuck if we don't stop this it is driving me crazy and i'm going to have a break down"

If they are not at that point skrew them. I mean people make plans, get time off of work, hotels, tickets etc to see you i think a band should do all they can to make it happen.

So I have to assume they are just at the brink. No one really knows that except for them though so what can ya do.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    intodeep wrote:
    I'll weigh in.

You have to have faith that the band must really be at wits end. You hope that if they go as far as cancelling the tour they are at the point were they are saying "fuck if we don't stop this it is driving me crazy and i'm going to have a break down"

If they are not at that point skrew them. I mean people make plans, get time off of work, hotels, tickets etc to see you i think a band should do all they can to make it happen.

So I have to assume they are just at the brink. No one really knows that except for them though so what can ya do.

My sentiments as well.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,625
    I was hoping that this topic would be started. I noticed that they canceled their tour in Australia and people are VERY angry on their site as well as on FB and I can definitely understand where they are coming from. I just bought my tickets to the show in Vegas a couple of days before the shows down under were canceled.

I obviously would have been insanely disappointed, because I cannot wait to see them. I saw them back at MSG and they were great, a smaller venue would just be great!

Didn't Pearl Jam cancel a bunch of gigs way back when due to about the same thing?

I do find it odd that they cancel so much of their tour, but keep the Vegas (thankfully!!) and also just announced Coachella. That does seem like a slap in the face to all of those fans with canceled tickets for sure. I do understand though, that those Coachella dates will came after their break. I guess now I just gotta hope that they will keep their Vegas dates alive.

I look forward to other people's thoughts on this subject.

Later!
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I feel that it'd be a really rude and foolish thing to do to not make up these dates. Not saying they won't do that, but they really should. It's just the right thing to do.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Interesting how people are reacting to this compared to KoL cancelling a few shows and walking out on that one.

Where are the "hardearnedmoneyspendinghotelaccomodatingtraveloverlongdistances" nutswingers?
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Interesting how people are reacting to this compared to KoL cancelling a few shows and walking out on that one.

Where are the "hardearnedmoneyspendinghotelaccomodatingtraveloverlongdistances" nutswingers?

I know what you're saying. Not much bashing going on. If it was KOL this thread would be 15 pages long of people calling them sell outs and what not...
    2006: Albany
    2008: MSG I, MSG II, Newark(EV)
    2009: Albany 1-2(EV), Philly 3
    2010: Boston, MSG I
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG 1, MSG II, Fenway 1
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    The same people who are mad about them canceling would be mad if they gave a bad show, and if shows are too bad it could have a long term effect on public perception of them. Better cancel than perform mediocre or worse shows. Easy for me to say, since I'm not a hardcore fan, though.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    so tell me... When was coachella announced?
    Personally, as i said, i am extremely disappointed. but im soooo glad to see not coming to oz will make them feel better. ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,504
    The White Stripes did the same thing in 2008 which was due to Meg having a bit of a mental breakdown. While it could mean drug/alcohol addiction, it could be something more serious or it could be pure exhaustion. Either way, I try to give the benefit of the doubt to the artist. These guys have been touring and recording pretty much non-stop for a while. They deserve a break if they feel they need it.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.