Star Wars Fans/Haters

Digital TwilightDigital Twilight Posts: 5,642
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.redlettermedia.com/phantom_menace.html

It's an hour long 'review' about how bad the Phantom Menace is and compares and contrast to the original film's structure and themes. It's VERY funny but his voice may put a lot of you off. Even though it seems a very dumb down attack on the film the guy clearly understands how films are put together.

If you don't want to watch it all then watch 54:30 onwards but it's worth taking the time to watch especially if love the original Star Wars and hate Phantom Menace.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ha... i have nothing but time... i'll give it a chance
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • HAHAHA THE VOICE IS HILARIOUS

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Damn! Can't find the volume control on the computer (new hard drive and everything has moved), will try and figure it out.
  • Claireack wrote:
    Damn! Can't find the volume control on the computer (new hard drive and everything has moved), will try and figure it out.

:lol: technology eh?
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Claireack wrote:

:lol: technology eh?

:oops: :oops:
  • this is hilarious :lol:

• this is hilarious :lol:

:D
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I've seen this before i thought it was really well done.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • SidnumSidnum Posts: 674
    http://www.redlettermedia.com/phantom_menace.html

It's an hour long 'review' about how bad the Phantom Menace is and compares and contrast to the original film's structure and themes. It's VERY funny but his voice may put a lot of you off. Even though it seems a very dumb down attack on the film the guy clearly understands how films are put together.

If you don't want to watch it all then watch 54:30 onwards but it's worth taking the time to watch especially if love the original Star Wars and hate Phantom Menace.

Holy crap, I can't wait to listen to this. Phantom Menace was one of the worst things to happen to a movie franchise. Well, basically, Jar Jar Binks. But whatever...
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    I will watch this at home.

The stories behind the Prequel Trilogy were solid. They were just not told in the right way.

THey were great ideas that turned into horrible movies.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    intodeep wrote:
    I've seen this before i thought it was really well done.

Ditto
  • are episodes II and III equally worth my time?

Not watched them myself but my friends say yes
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    are episodes II and III equally worth my time?

No, and you get sick of his voice by the third. in my opinion.

No, and you get sick of his voice by the third. in my opinion.
    eh... you were probably right... i just felt like i had to finish after i got started (thats what she said)

they were both entertaining enough

all i want is for lucas to publicly apologize... is that so much to ask?? just apologize and then do them again... what a great sales move that would be... bring in a team of the best writers, directors, and new actors and do it the old school way... kind of like how ang lee's "hulk" FUCKING SUCKED... and then they remade it like 5 years later... not that that one was much better

the question is who would be right for these movies if they did start from scratch?... what should the story have been?... i dunno

• B-RockB-Rock Posts: 149
    I love stare wars to bits... i actually think Phantom Menace is awesome.

Apart from Jar Jar Binks its one of my favourite movies.

Qui Gon was Darth Maul made up for Jar Jars lameness.
    Sydney 8-11-06, 18-11-06; Melbourne 20-11-09, Sydney 22-11-09, Manchester 20-06-12, 21-06-12
  • B-Rock wrote:

Darth Maul, no offense, was the biggerst letdown in villain history.
    He Looked so cool in the previews and had one friggin line in the movie, then danced a bit and got turned into two. Lame. just my 2 cents. :P
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • B-RockB-Rock Posts: 149
    B-Rock wrote:

He Looked so cool in the previews and had one friggin line in the movie, then danced a bit and got turned into two. Lame. just my 2 cents. :P

Oh yeah his death sucked. Should of been better.
    Sydney 8-11-06, 18-11-06; Melbourne 20-11-09, Sydney 22-11-09, Manchester 20-06-12, 21-06-12
  • B-Rock wrote:

:?

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    B-Rock wrote:

He lost all credibility when they put him on that space scooter and it looked like his knees were hittin the handlebars like some 15 yr old riding some little kids bike.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    His Sith review is way too long, but the Clones and Menace ones are fucking hilarious.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Attack of the Clones was awful. I first saw phantom menace when I was like 8, so it was pretty rad then.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Attack of the Clones was awful. I first saw phantom menace when I was like 8, so it was pretty rad then.
    That's a perfect example of why Lucas should keep his hands off the making of the films. I would have liked it also if i saw it when i was 8, because it was made for children.
  • 50 years from now, people are still gonna be getting into Star Wars....just like they'll still get into The Beatles, Michael Jordan highlights, etc. The problem is that they'll start with Episode 1 because who starts anything at part 4? This will leave us with two groups of people:

Group 1: The people who think Episode 1 sucks
    Group 2: The people who think Episode 1 doesn't suck.

Group 1 will probably quit on Star Wars after Episode 1. And even if they don't, they'll find that Episode 2 is (somehow) a million times worse. That will put them off for sure.

Group 2 only liked Episode 1 because of the special effects and the cool (at times) imagery. I'm as critical of the prequels as anyone, but ya gotta give them props on set design and inconsequential stuff like that. But the problem here is that if people are into the "look" of the prequels, they may be turned off by the "blandness" of the three real movies. The assault on the Death Star in Episode 4 (I hate calling it that) is awesome to us...but to someone who only knows the over-blown battle scenes of the prequels, it may come off as boring... and that's a shame.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    50 years from now, people are still gonna be getting into Star Wars....just like they'll still get into The Beatles, Michael Jordan highlights, etc. The problem is that they'll start with Episode 1 because who starts anything at part 4? This will leave us with two groups of people:

Group 1: The people who think Episode 1 sucks
    Group 2: The people who think Episode 1 doesn't suck.

Group 1 will probably quit on Star Wars after Episode 1. And even if they don't, they'll find that Episode 2 is (somehow) a million times worse. That will put them off for sure.

Group 2 only liked Episode 1 because of the special effects and the cool (at times) imagery. I'm as critical of the prequels as anyone, but ya gotta give them props on set design and inconsequential stuff like that. But the problem here is that if people are into the "look" of the prequels, they may be turned off by the "blandness" of the three real movies. The assault on the Death Star in Episode 4 (I hate calling it that) is awesome to us...but to someone who only knows the over-blown battle scenes of the prequels, it may come off as boring... and that's a shame.
    I don't know. I think it will hold its' own effects wise. And by the time the attack on the death star comes most people will be invested enough in the movie they won't care about the "old" effects. 2001 came out in 1968 and i'm still amazed by the effects when i watch it now. Especially the silence of space.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Behave people
    Star Wars awesome it is.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I love the bar scene on the far away planet or space station or something.
    Can't remember which Star Wars it was but I thought that was awesome.
    The cool drinks and all the different aliens partying, fun! 8-)
    I love Star Wars!
  • SidnumSidnum Posts: 674
    Ok, I've now finally finished after 2 nights or so all three reviews. I pretty much agree with everything he has to say. And the sense of humor is great with the cutaway scenes and whatnot.

I was/am a huge fan of the originals. The prequels were something I was excited for but they were all a huge letdown. And yes, I saw all of them in the theater with hopes of them getting better. They sort of did but only by the fact that the kid wasn't in Ep.2 or 3. And Jar Jar's appearances kept dwindling. Not fast enough though.