Beware of the overly friendly check out person

PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
They could be trying to distract you.

I went to my sister’s for dinner yesterday. On my way there I stopped at Canal’s and bought a bottle of vodka for $23.01 with a debit card. The girl behind the counter was very friendly and courteous.

I checked my balance today and my card was charged $43.01. I called the store and they are checking into it, but it infuriates me how easy it is to be ripped off. I know I should have checked my receipt but it still pisses me off.

So beware, and ALWAYS CHECK YOUR RECEIPT before leaving the store.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I'm sorry that happened to you :( What will you do if the store (owner/mgr) never calls you back?
    It's my understanding you can't fight charges made with a debit card, like a credit card. I'll send you a pm about my bad experience.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876

I went to my sister’s for dinner yesterday. On my way there I stopped at Canal’s and bought a bottle of vodka for $23.01 with a debit card. The girl behind the counter was very friendly and courteous.

I checked my balance today and my card was charged $43.01. I called the store and they are checking into it, but it infuriates me how easy it is to be ripped off. I know I should have checked my receipt but it still pisses me off.

Honest mistake maybe ?

I dont know why she would do it purposely if she wasn't benefiting from it ?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799

Honest mistake maybe ?

No she had to have indicated that I wanted cash back, when I didn't and she pocketed the cash.

I was talking to my co-worker, same thing happened to her husband at an Appleby's.

I'm just warning people out there to check your receipt before you walk out of the door.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    its not just before you leave.

i've had them over charge on tips, although it's very rare. happened once in a 10 year period.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,007
    81 wrote:

i've had them over charge on tips, although it's very rare. happened once in a 10 year period.
    And another arguement for Dunk as to why tipping should get you punched in the fudd. :mrgreen: even though scotland invented tipping.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    It was most likely a mistake.

That said, I've had a waiter increase the tip I left him.
    I was at a sports bar, bill came to be around $20, I wrote in a $5 tip for a total of $25.
    A week later, I check my account online and I see that I was charged $35. I looked at my crumpled receipt (copy) and it was $25. Because the bar was close, I stopped over and found out the waiter was no longer working there. I guess he got caught upping his tips on the credit/debit card slips for multiple customers. So he slipped a "1" in front of my "5" to give himself a nice $15 tip. I got my money back, but yeah...you gotta check that stuff!
  • Could be an honest mistake... the place I work used to have the stand alone credit card terminals, where you had to enter the amount for every transaction. With huge numbers of transactions sometimes, we'd see mistakes occasionally where the clerk just entered a wrong amount. Most of the time they would catch it, but sometimes transposed numbers or whatever weren't caught until closing out that night or doing reports a couple of days later.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • mca47 wrote:
    It was most likely a mistake.

That said, I've had a waiter increase the tip I left him.
    I was at a sports bar, bill came to be around $20, I wrote in a $5 tip for a total of $25.
    A week later, I check my account online and I see that I was charged $35. I looked at my crumpled receipt (copy) and it was $25. Because the bar was close, I stopped over and found out the waiter was no longer working there. I guess he got caught upping his tips on the credit/debit card slips for multiple customers. So he slipped a "1" in front of my "5" to give himself a nice $15 tip. I got my money back, but yeah...you gotta check that stuff!

I've had a couple issues like that, but usually it's my shitty handwriting and only a couple of bucks or whatever.

I can't remember what restaurant it was at recently, but I added the tip on my receipt for our dinner, but saw on my statement that they never charged me for the tip... it was like $10 or so, so that was a nice surprise (but annoying because my quicken wouldn't balance for the longest time and I was getting frustrated trying to find a missing transaction lol).
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876

Honest mistake maybe ?

No she had to have indicated that I wanted cash back, when I didn't and she pocketed the cash.

I was talking to my co-worker, same thing happened to her husband at an Appleby's.

I'm just warning people out there to check your receipt before you walk out of the door.

I see...from now on I'm telling them credit...I don't think you get the option for cash back with that ?

Of course in a tipping situation you're at their mercy when they do the transaction
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    I guess it could have been a mistake but I don't think so because I remember her specifically telling me it was $23.01.

I don't know, just beware. I'm lucky it was only $20. could have been a lot worse I suppose.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    ....and when you go to the bar and open a tab, watch your credit card reciept and your statement. My SO went to a bar downtown, opened a tab, when he was done, he paid his bill and then a few weeks later he thought he was short money. He checked his statement and the bar had charged him his tab (about $30) AND somebody else's...for $100 :o

I dug thru the recycling, and found the reciept, he called the bar and got a lot of shit about how could he prove both weren't his tabs and blahblahblah. The bar owner looked at the reciept and said 'oh it COULD have been a mistake, the $100 reciept sig looks scribbled and different'...something about the waitress said all her reciepts were right. Still refused to refund his money. SO called his bank, explained the situation and they said we would need to call the Better Business Bureau and if they didn't respond, they would refund the money. So I filed a complaint with the BBB, and the bar didn't answer for 8 weeks, so we called the bank and they refunded the money. Then the bar called, the owner was all kinds of pissed off and told SO to come in and, 'pick up his damn $100'.

bad business for the bar to essensially tell SO he 'was a liar'... the bar owner should have just refunded the money when the 2 reciept signatures were wrong. Too bad it is a really cool bar...now that I know the owner is an a$$, I don't care to go there anymore.

(BTW, if your debit card has the mastercard/visa logo you ARE covered for incorrect charges...I have been able to dispute several charges for incorrect charges and for 'mis-advertised products')
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Well I did get a return call from the liquor store, but I missed the call. The guy who checked it out won't be back till tonight so I have to call back.

Right now, it's not about the $20 bucks, it's about whether or not this new cashier is ripping off their customers or she made an honest mistake. It will be interesting to find out.

And I'm curious too how the owners will react if it was a mistake, will they pissy too when they have to return my money? I hope not because that is totally bad business.
  • 81 wrote:

that'd be a lot harder to get away with in my experience... most servers have to turn all their card receipts into their manager at the end of their shift for review

thanks for the heads up tho, OP! i'm terrible about keeping an eye on my bank account and receipts
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Just found out today some dickless goat has been trying to use my CC # in Oklahoma.
    The person was denied 3 separate times -- all at walmart ($200 purchase, 150, then 50). He had a physical card with my account # associated to it. wtf?! animals. They're animals I tell you.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Just found out today some dickless goat has been trying to use my CC # in Oklahoma.
    The person was denied 3 separate times -- all at walmart ($200 purchase, 150, then 50). He had a physical card with my account # associated to it. wtf?! animals. They're animals I tell you.

I know, all the effort they put into trying to get something for nothing could be put into move productive use, like getting a GD job and paying your own way.
    I was reimbursed for the overcharge. The owner acknowledged that I was overcharged, but stated that from the receipts they can not determine "intent" - basically as to why I was overcharged.

Which actually makes it even more curious.

Anyway, just be aware.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    Now that this thread has a happy ending, how do you drink your vodka? I had bad experiences with vodka but that was a long time ago.

I'm glad you were reimbursed.

This thread made me more aware, particularly the part about the wait staff changing the tip after the customer signed for the charge. I normally put cash for the tip into the wait person's hand. I will not leave it on the table. I've heard of other ppl taking it.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    I like it with lemonade or oj. vodka is the only liqour i really drink, other than beer :)

well than and Long Island Iced Teas, which I got into when PJ was here for the Spectrum closing shows. My Seattle PJ buddy introduced me to those and they are YUMMY. Strong, but yummy.

And it does make you think. I like to pay cash, it's just easier, but I just happened not to have it on me that day. And look what happened. hmm.