the walking disabled at a concert

JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
So, I'm finally getting back into the swing of things with a Michael Franti show this Friday! But here's the thing. It's in a bar, it's sold out and I'll be walking in with a forearm crutch (the crutches that you stabilize with your hand and forearm rather than armpit) and a friend, helping me walk. I'm considering calling bar management earlier in the day to see if I can "reserve" a bar stool since there are few of them and I have to sit. Is this the thing to do, or do I just brave it and beg someone to give up their stool?

I'm kinda nervous about the whole thing, and I don't want to bring my wheel chair.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    If someone notices you have a crutch and doesn't give up a stool then they need help. I would give up a seat in a second for someone that needs it.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    hey Jeanwah...I don't think you will have any issues with finding a spot to sit. I went to Ozzfest with crutches and an ankle cast on and so many people would stop and let me thru, or offer me a spot to sit on a bench when they were full...I even scored free premiere parking at the venue.
    I would possibley keep your wheels in the car (if possible) 'just in case' but I honestly don't think you will have any issues (and I would have no problem asking for someone to give up their seat...if they say no, it just reflects badly upon them)

Great to see that you feel good enough to venture out for something fun! :D
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Just give them the evil eye
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    first, it's great to hear you're gonna go to a show!

second, i'll reiterate, if no one gives you a stool i'd stand there on your crutches and stare at them until the guilt becomes too great ;):mrgreen:

can you get there really early so you're first ones in?
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Don't most venues have a policy and designated area for this? My friend and I got to go in the area at a Foo Fighters gig as she was pregnant.

I'd check with the venue but if they don't have a policy I hope someone gives you a seat :D
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Thanks for the replies! :)
    I've been jonesing to finally getting out for a show; it's been too long. I am going to try to be there early, to get a seat, otherwise there's not much of a chance I'll get one off the bat. The venue is dark and shoulder-to-shoulder when the show is sold out. (Evil eye doesn't work in the dark 81 :lol: )
    And I'll check about a policy about this but being a bar, I'm thinking they don't. But what do I know!
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    Jeanwah, now you know these are Michael Franti fans and if one of his fans doesn't give up a seat on the FIRST asking then something is truly wrong with the world. Do me one thing arrive EARLY and when you do you might just run into Michael and mention my name and start a conversation believe me he'll chat with you before and CERTAINLY after the show, just like how I PM'em late last year. Good luck don't worry things will work out fine. :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

One thing g - what is your last name? :D;)
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    Jeanwah wrote:

In all the years I've never told him, just use what you already know. I took me two years just to take a picture with him. :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

In all the years I've never told him, just use what you already know. I took me two years just to take a picture with him. :D

Peace

Well, I guess last names aren't all that necessary. Hopefully, I'll get that chance to drop your first name. :mrgreen: