What do you say to a friend who may be dying?

JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
A good friend of mine was diagnosed with brain cancer in November 2009. She underwent intense treatment, and for the past 6 months, she was doing very well. She was even well enough to attend my wedding this past November.

She has beaten cancer twice before in the 80s/90s before I knew her.

Yesterday, she informed me that the cancer has spread to her spine, which will cause immense pain as long as she lives.

We traded voicemails, and I am planning on calling her back later today.

I am usually a "fixer" when it comes to people in need.....always full of ideas to help solve their problems. In this case, obviously, there is nothing I can do except provide friendship and support.

I am at a loss for words in regards to what to say to her.

Any thoughts?

Thx

Jx3
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i love you..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    yup...just tell her that you love her & let her talk. what she says may help you decide what to say. sorry to hear about that, Joe.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that... :( I don't know that there is much you can say except for letting her know that your there for her, that she can talk to you about things. That's really all you can do for her. Once again, i'm so sorry, I wish yourself and your friend all the best. :) xxxxxx
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    mfc2006 wrote:
    yup...just tell her that you love her & let her talk. what she says may help you decide what to say. sorry to hear about that, Joe.

thanks!
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    one of my best friends had a brain tumor...although i didn't know he would die when he did, we never adjusted our friendship...in other words, we acted and talked like we always did

i'm with ya joe with the whole 'fixer' thing...i'm the same way...just ask if there is anything you can do and just be there for her
    Would it be weird if I offered to arrange for us to do some special stuff, such as going backstage at a gig, etc., or does that seem too much like something I am doing just because of her sitaution?
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Would it be weird if I offered to arrange for us to do some special stuff, such as going backstage at a gig, etc., or does that seem too much like something I am doing just because of her sitaution?

good idea
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

ask her...if it were me, i wouldn't mind people doing things i like for me...take advantage while you can ;)
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Yes, I would go with this advice. Let her know you care, then listen to her.

If you ultimately learn that her cancer is terminal, I'd suggest making a point of seeing her and telling her how much you care about her and how sad you are that she is dying. Tell her why you are glad she is your friend. Cry in front of her if you need to. Many people think they shouldn't show their tears to the sick person but I disagree. You can tell her that you're very sad that this is happening, even that you don't know what to do or say. Take your cues from her.

I have lost many friends to AIDS. After they were gone, I often wished I'd told them how much I'd cared about them and how hard it was to lose them. It took me a long time to be able to say things like this to someone who was dying. Now I cherish the conversations that I had with those friends before they left me.

I'm very sorry about your friend.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • just be there to provide a sense of normalcy, an ear to talk to, and a shoulder to cry on

people are always afraid of saying the wrong thing, but i think more often than not the sick person doesn't expect anything profound from friends... if the shoe was on the other foot he/she probably would be just as confused

sorry to hear about it
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • BG44858BG44858 Posts: 25
    you're a better person for having known her
  • So sad to hear this, and think it is great you haven't hidden from it.

My best friend of 28 years (since we were six) has only a few months left, and we only found out about a year ago. We talked about it, cried a lot, told each other how much we loved each other and then moved forwards. It's always there, and there are really bad days, and some good days, but we find that our friendship is the same, in some ways stronger, and many ways more rewarding.

I struggle sometimes on days when Jon is bad, but only when I am home, and I struggle on the days we have great times as it may be the last great day, but the one thing I try is to not to be over protective or constantly checking how he feels. He doesn't want my pity, doesn't need me being careful what I say, what we do or me saying how sorry I am about things. What he needs is the important people around him to be there and to be the way that they always should be around him.

The saddest part for Jon, and for me is how many friends have disappeared, and how understanding Jon is about this even though I can tell how sad he is about it. The most important thing I can do as a friend is to stand shoulder to shoulder and be there as bro's and stay when he needs me.

My advice to you would be to talk about it, tell her your feelings and then don't make it the focus of the rest of your friendship, be a shoulder, an ear and a smile.

Stay strong, and keep the faith. Miracles happen every day.
    So sad to hear this, and think it is great you haven't hidden from it.

My best friend of 28 years (since we were six) has only a few months left, and we only found out about a year ago. We talked about it, cried a lot, told each other how much we loved each other and then moved forwards. It's always there, and there are really bad days, and some good days, but we find that our friendship is the same, in some ways stronger, and many ways more rewarding.

I struggle sometimes on days when Jon is bad, but only when I am home, and I struggle on the days we have great times as it may be the last great day, but the one thing I try is to not to be over protective or constantly checking how he feels. He doesn't want my pity, doesn't need me being careful what I say, what we do or me saying how sorry I am about things. What he needs is the important people around him to be there and to be the way that they always should be around him.

The saddest part for Jon, and for me is how many friends have disappeared, and how understanding Jon is about this even though I can tell how sad he is about it. The most important thing I can do as a friend is to stand shoulder to shoulder and be there as bro's and stay when he needs me.

My advice to you would be to talk about it, tell her your feelings and then don't make it the focus of the rest of your friendship, be a shoulder, an ear and a smile.

Stay strong, and keep the faith. Miracles happen every day.

Thanks for the advice. She has a great sense of humor, and she always appreciates mine, however, I don't want to make light of her situation with humor until she seems ok with it!
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    So sad for your news ...
    My wonderful friend Dian was dying from cancer,she passed in September 2008.She knew she was dying but a few days before she passed she spoke of when she got well we would take a long trip together ... we spoke about that for hours,where we would go,do,see ... It was a joyous conversation yet we both knew it wouldn't happen.But I would never have ignored her need at the end to have that dream.
    I visited her hours before she died.I told her I loved her,held her and told her I would meet her one day to take our trip.

Say what you feel ... love,friendship,sadness,joy at having known them,express your feelings.

Thought with you

x
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    I can't add any more to the wisdom already shared, I'd just say I love you and be an ear for her. So sorry she has to go thru that :(
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I'm so sorry.

My hairstylist who became my friend 10 years ago just died from stage 4 breast cancer last week. She had 5 good years in remission and I knew she was getting sicker in the last few months. I got the call last Sunday that she only had a few days left. I rushed to see her in the hospital, and told her how much I loved her. It was the first time she saw me standing with a walker since my car accident and, as sick as she was, she mentioned that we had switched places. It made me so sad, I just told her that I've still got a long road and I held her hand.

If your friend has time on her side Joe, ask her where she wants to go or what you can do for her. Make the most of the time you still have left. And tell her how much you care about her.
    Thanks for the good advices (that is the name of an REM song!) and kind words!
  • unsungunsung Posts: 9,487
    My step-father just passed from cancer. If you have never dealt with it and you plan on being there at the end I highly suggest you prepare and do research on what to expect. It is a very ugly and miserable thing to experience.
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    Sorry to hear about your friend.
    One of my closest friends died of cancer 9 years ago. The last time I saw her in the hospital, I was so stunned at her appearance and so in shock over her condition that I had no idea what to say to her, and so I said very little. I regret that now, because she died not long after I saw her and I didn't get a chance to tell her how much she meant to me and how much of a positive influence she'd had in my life.
    So my advice would be to leave nothing unsaid. Tell her you love her, tell her how much she means to you. That's all you can really do.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I would just let her know how much you love and care about her, and that you'll always be there for her...

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad