Options

So guys - Seriously how long do you think we have got with the Band?

FitzFitz Posts: 169
edited July 2008 in The Porch
Apologies if this may sound a bit of a downer, especially considering all of you in the US have had some obvious wonderful recent moments with the Tour and of course the upcoming EV gigs. It is not meant to be by any means, its just that nearly every day on here someone mentions 'the end' and it does my nut in.

Anyway in your opinion, seriously how long in Album/Tour/Years terms?
"First of all, there’s the palpable camaraderie and good feeling you get from the entire band as they smile and nod at each other, and huddle together in various formations throughout the show --- They look like they really like each other. They look stoked!"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    Fitz wrote:
    Apologies if this may sound a bit of a downer, especially considering all of you in the US have had some obvious wonderful recent moments with the Tour and of course the upcoming EV gigs. It is not meant to be by any means, its just that nearly every day on here someone mentions 'the end' and it does my nut in.

Why would you think like that?
    Go get some sun, it will cheer you up.
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186
    25-30 years ;)
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
  • Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    didnt they say last tour that they want to be around for a long long time? i think if they said that, it'd be pretty stupid to see them end it soon. i personally think they're in it for the long haul, that they and their fans want to see them till theyre old and grey. i think as long as their bodies and stamina can hold out, they'll be around. they've been through the worst and contemplated breaking up a few times, and the fact that they stayed together despite all they've been through so far would mean that they can pretty much endure anything and will stick around as long as they can ;)
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Stone won't let the band die! :cool:
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    Why would you think like that?
    Go get some sun, it will cheer you up.

Many thanks for the advise but I'm ok thanks. Only today I returned from my Hollibobs.

Btw, I wasn't thinking I was asking. Oh and I don't think like that others do, hence my original question.
    "First of all, there’s the palpable camaraderie and good feeling you get from the entire band as they smile and nod at each other, and huddle together in various formations throughout the show --- They look like they really like each other. They look stoked!"
  • Options
    pj4900pj4900 Posts: 14
    As long as Ed doesn't blow out his voice they can go as long as the who if not longer. I think Ed will have the teflon throat that Daltrey has.
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    I would guess 10-15 more years. I don't know why, just my guess.
  • Options
    Fitz wrote:
    Many thanks for the advise but I'm ok thanks. Only today I returned from my Hollibobs.

Btw, I wasn't thinking I was asking. Oh and I don't think like that others do, hence my original question.
    it's OK.

by the way, is your screenname a reference to the great song "Fits" off the Bayleaf album?
  • Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    Fitz wrote:

:)

A long time.

:)
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    it's OK.

by the way, is your screenname a reference to the great song "Fits" off the Bayleaf album?

Nah, this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker_(UK_TV_series)

He shares my name as I share Eddie's.
  • Options
    Eds favourite bands are still going... (the who & Neil) so i'm pretty sure he and the boys will be inspired to keep going.
    ...The Moon is Rollin' Round....
  • Options
    quasiquasi Posts: 492
    In the year 2028, Eddie will be Roger Daltry's current age of 64 (which is only 20 years from now). Can you picture it? Right now, I'm sure there's some 7 year old kid out there that we have never heard of that will go on to start an amazing band that admires Pearl Jam like Eddie does the Who and will honor them by playing PJ covers.

I think Pearl Jam and U2 are two bands that will always stick together and be around for as long as they can make music. If a band has made it 15 plus years, they're usually (usually) in it for the long haul. There will be little bumps in the road with long, sabbaticals, but I think they will be an entity for as along as most of them are around. For certain bands though, I can't imagine replacing them (like if Adam or Larry moved on from U2). I think U2 have stated that if any of the 4 of them leave, the band is done.
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • Options
    Rush has been in existence for over 40 years, 34 with the current lineup, and their current tour is the best they've ever sounded. They are still making great new material, too. Granted, there are only three members so it might be easier to stay together, but at least there is one example.

I would mention the Stones, but IMHO they have been sleepwalking for about 15 years.
    I'm starting to believe that this hopeless situation is what I'm trying to achieve.....
  • Options
    PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    Murder wrote:
    Eds favourite bands are still going... (the who & Neil) so i'm pretty sure he and the boys will be inspired to keep going.

I think so too.
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Options
    PearlJainPearlJain Posts: 565
    Fitz wrote:

I would estimate - until they have nothing left to say. Which I don't see happening any time soon. I personally plan to enjoy their music -forever!
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Gandhi

"Empty pockets will Allow a greater Sense of wealth...." EV/ITW
  • Options
    I'm expecting an East coast tour from the boys each single year from now on until at least 2020. ;)
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    they won't stop til something "happens" to one of them... (ie. someone's health deteriorates, ect )

Makes me sad to even say but i believe this to be the case. Could be worse i suppose
  • Options
    stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    this bands not going anywhere for a while.

we're all gonna grow old together
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Fitz wrote:

"This love has no ceiling"
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    stickboy wrote:
    this bands not going anywhere for a while.

we're all gonna grow old together

:eek: i LOVE that!!!! Not the getting OLD but the fact we'll do it together!!!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    They've played nearly 800 shows, and I don't think another 800 would be a stretch. They're getting along better now than ever, they're back with Brendan O'Brien, they're willing to dig deep into their catalog as evidence by their last tour. They just blew the fuckin roof off at the Who thing. Every single one of their biggest influences were around 20 + years(The Ramones, The Who, KISS, Bruce Springsteen). their doesn't seem to be any 'warning signs on the road ahead'. They're going to be around for at LEAST another decade IMO.
  • Options
    AddictedAddicted Posts: 124
    didnt they say last tour that they want to be around for a long long time? i think if they said that, it'd be pretty stupid to see them end it soon. i personally think they're in it for the long haul, that they and their fans want to see them till theyre old and grey. i think as long as their bodies and stamina can hold out, they'll be around. they've been through the worst and contemplated breaking up a few times, and the fact that they stayed together despite all they've been through so far would mean that they can pretty much endure anything and will stick around as long as they can ;)

thay also said they were going to blow past the cerfew of Boston 2 this year which meant 4 minutes. but i hope they are around for many years to come.
    hold on to the thread
    the currents will shift
  • Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    :eek: i LOVE that!!!! Not the getting OLD but the fact we'll do it together!!!
    well u know what I mean... I just dont see it ever "ending"
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    I hate to be morbid ... but until somebody dies.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    we got the recordings so they'll live on forever!
  • Options
    2 guys died for The Who and they still kept going

jut saying

what if it would go down to Ed and Stone or Ed and Mike in their mid 60's and they still toured or put albums out as Pearl Jam???

how would that feel :eek:
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I think they have atleast 2 more albums in them.. I wouldn't be surprised if they were still making music 20 years from now.
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    if their performance on the VH1 honors show was any indication, hell this past tour, they look like they got their heels dug in deep for the long haul :) maybe when they get older, like 10-15 years from now they might go in another direction, like acoustic gigs or something.

god willing they'll all be healthy and happy and keep the passion going, and that we all do the same :)
  • Options
    Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
    After Riot Act there was that interview with Jeff where he was at the skate park- he said they were about halfway done. So still a few more albums and tours. and then probably like 6 farewell tours.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    i think they really could be around for 15 or so more years. I mean, we'll have several years where they dont do anything, but I think a tour or album will surface periodically...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...