do kittens MEOW constantly?

iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
when I first rescued my kitty from petsmart, I noticed how loud/how much he meowed.
it's toned down a little, but is that normal?

he was supposedly 4 mos old when I adopted him on 12/23 and he went to the vet the next day.
my husband is concerned at how much/loud he meows. he is so skinny it is hard to believe he is 4 months old.

I told him we don't know his history since he was at two shelters before Petsmart. I think he was away from his mom at too young (maybe she was killed, we don't know....but he was headed toward death row.)

he plays VERY well and purrs....but the meowing!
9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
10/10 - Brad in B'more
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I know my dad brought home a stray cat for mom, who had just lost one, several years ago and that cat NEVER stopped meowing....never....it was constant and loud as long as she was awake.

After quite a long time of this, dad pawned the cat off on his sister...not telling her how obnoxious it was :mrgreen:
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    welcome to my world.

:lol:

most cats don't meow much, but there are a few crazy ones out there.

our cat can be brutal some days. in the morning if he doesn't get fed by 7 he starts meowing. i get home from work and he meows for food or treats or catnip.

in the summer he will stand by the back door and meow to go outside.

and don't even think about taking him anyplace in a car with out non stop meowing.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    81 wrote:
    welcome to my world.

our cat can be brutal some days. in the morning if he doesn't get fed by 7 he starts meowing. i get home from work and he meows for food or treats or catnip.

and don't even think about taking him anyplace in a car with out non stop meowing.

My cat NON STOP meows in the car, too. I've found that male kitties just happen to be more vocal.. and a bit louder too. :o
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    My cat is a night MEOWER... he wants to be picked up to be put in our bed... and then as soon as we do he jumps off and starts meowing all over again... Good times :?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    oh :) the last time I had a kitten was when I was in high school, I think, so I could not remember.

I found my last cat when he was about 9 mos old, so he wasn't a baby like this. my last cat wasn't that noisey. when he did become noisey, he was sick :(

my kitty meows loudly just if he gets off of the couch, I guess he saying he wants attention.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    81 wrote:
    welcome to my world.

My cat NON STOP meows in the car, too. I've found that male kitties just happen to be more vocal.. and a bit louder too. :o

brutal....we moved from NW Ohio to NE IL and he didn't stop meowing until the middle of indiana. talk about a long ride.

:?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    My cat is a night MEOWER... he wants to be picked up to be put in our bed... and then as soon as we do he jumps off and starts meowing all over again... Good times :?

is your bed 5 foot off the floor or something.

ours is pretty high, but he still jumps up on it without issue. but i suspect when he gets to be 4-5 years older, we will have to do something about that.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I’ve been blessed with the sweetest cat in the world. She is 15 years old. I’ve had her since she was about 8 weeks old. The only time she meows is when she puts her beanie baby kitty named Flippo in her mouth and carries her into the living room. I know when I hear her meow, she’ll be coming around the corner with Flippo in her mouth. It amazes me that she can actually have Flippo in her mouth and still meow. Other than that, unless she wants to get into the bedroom and her pushing up against the door doesn’t wake me up, then she’ll meow a bit. But nope, other than that, no meowing.

And she just loves me, she greets me at the top of the stairs when I get home and just loves me to death. As I do her.

Edit: yes, she will CONSTANTLY meow when in the car. I think it just scares the hell out of cats.
    I’ve been blessed with the sweetest cat in the world. She is 15 years old. I’ve had her since she was about 8 weeks old. The only time she meows is when she puts her beanie baby kitty named Flippo in her mouth and carries her into the living room. I know when I hear her meow, she’ll be coming around the corner with Flippo in her mouth. It amazes me that she can actually have Flippo in her mouth and still meow. Other than that, unless she wants to get into the bedroom and her pushing up against the door doesn’t wake me up, then she’ll meow a bit. But nope, other than that, no meowing.

And she just loves me, she greets me at the top of the stairs when I get home and just loves me to death. As I do her.

Edit: yes, she will CONSTANTLY meow when in the car. I think it just scares the hell out of cats.

That kitty sounds like a keeper. 8-)
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    The unlost dogs never meow constantly.

15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I have a 20 pound Maine Coon male cat that will talk your ear off. He also gets pretty demanding, wants out at 5 every morning. But even when he doesn't want something, he walks around meowing like he's telling us about his day or something.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I have a 20 pound Maine Coon male cat that will talk your ear off. He also gets pretty demanding, wants out at 5 every morning. But even when he doesn't want something, he walks around meowing like he's telling us about his day or something.

20lbs is it.....ours is part Maine Coon and at one put was up to 23lbs. he was a fat fuck. he's down to about 17 now.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    eyedclaar wrote:

"But even when he doesn't want something, he walks around meowing like he's telling us about his day or something" I'm hoping this is the case for my kitten, bc he meows like somebody pulled his tail!

thanks for all your replies :) I'm glad I have a new cat and I can live up to my username. I was iluvcats for 3 plus years w/o one.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    81 wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

20lbs is it.....ours is part Maine Coon and at one put was up to 23lbs. he was a fat fuck. he's down to about 17 now.

Ours might be at 18 now. He was getting a bit too plump so we've been cutting back the food. 23 is huge!

sounds adorably lovable :)
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,358
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    welcome to my world.

brutal....we moved from NW Ohio to NE IL and he didn't stop meowing until the middle of indiana. talk about a long ride.

:?

Feel your pain on the car ride. My cat will literally lose his voice before he stops meowing in the car.
    hippiemom = goodness
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Ours might be at 18 now. He was getting a bit too plump so we've been cutting back the food. 23 is huge!

vet wasn't too happy with that. :lol: he's been on a diet food for the last year or so.

we also get the joy of giving him a twice daily dose of liquid stuff to keep him from getting constipated. a constipated cat is neither fun nor cheap to fix.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    My cat only meows when hungry or wants to go out. But last year my neighbor went away for a weekend and we watched her kitten for her. She had just found it in some abandoned house or something. It was very young but all it did was meow or attack my hand. Then after it had meowed and attacked itself out it would go to bed. Then it would wake up, meow, and attack my hand. I love cats but that one was annoying. Apparantly the meowing stopped as it got older.
    81 wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

vet wasn't too happy with that. :lol: he's been on a diet food for the last year or so.

we also get the joy of giving him a twice daily dose of liquid stuff to keep him from getting constipated. a constipated cat is neither fun nor cheap to fix.

Went through that recently with another one. Bad scene and $300 fix. We were told to feed them canned pumpkin for the moisture and fiber and it really works. They love that shit. Where in their DNA they picked that up, not sure. Sabre-tooth cats must have must have been hell on mankind's early pumpkin farms.

unless you go to Banfield, than they try to charge $1k. stop payment fixed their wagon. fuckers.

our cat hated the pumpkin.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    eyedclaar wrote:
    81 wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

Went through that recently with another one. Bad scene and $300 fix. We were told to feed them canned pumpkin for the moisture and fiber and it really works. They love that shit. Where in their DNA they picked that up, not sure. Sabre-tooth cats must have must have been hell on mankind's early pumpkin farms.

This whole thing made me laugh. Strange creatures. Mine loves petroleum jelly, and the vet says to let him have some every week or so to help coat his throat in case of hairballs. :shock:
  • my cat is around 4 or 5, she is tiny for an adult cat
    we got her from this cat shelter place, they didn't know her exact age but they found her. she had been abandoned, hadn't been fed for ages so she is so so small.

anyway back to the point - she'll meow when she's scared like in the car and when she wants to come inside or go out she'll meow too
    sometimes she has this really wierd meow - it's so wierd, doesn't sound like her at all. freaks me out when she does it. i always think she can see ghosts or something and is meowing at them. its like a creepy meow - like a child pretending to be a cat or something?
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    99.99999% of cats are not good in cars, so that isn't abnormal.
    Ours will meow at regular feeding/treat times, and if they want to go out, or if they really really want pats, other than that they are pretty quiet.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Hey ILUVCATS!! Glad you got your kitty. You may be right thinking it was separated from his mother too soon. My kittens (now 8 mos) have never meowed alot. Hopefully your kitty will outgrow it.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Lizard wrote:
    Hey ILUVCATS!! Glad you got your kitty. You may be right thinking it was separated from his mother too soon. My kittens (now 8 mos) have never meowed alot. Hopefully your kitty will outgrow it.

this afternoon, he raced around the living room like a maniac while I was on the phone! he was so wound up.
    then when I sat down, he purred and rubbed up against my face, practically kissing me....the lady on the phone could hear him wailing (meowing.) guess what he wanted? he wanted his feather toy on a stick. he's been so rough with it, the feathers are coming off, so I put it on top of the refrig. When I took it down, he ran with it!
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    iluvcats wrote:

sounds adorably lovable :)

Yes she is, she's my Saffie cat. :D

and she's affectionate to a fault, always wanting to be touching me when I'm trying to read, or watch tv, always. She'll sit next to me and about every 30 seconds or so she'll put her paw on my leg or push her paw into my leg, like, i'm sitting here, don't you see me - i'm supposed to be sitting on your lap :lol:

and you know what, now that I remember, one time years ago she woke me up and she was meowing like a crazy cat and I got up and was like, wtf?? And as it turns out, my front door had blown open. Luckily I had a screen door and that was locked too, but she knew that was not right and made sure she woke me up to alert me.

She's an absolute sweetheart.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,828
    I have 2. One of mine meows if she wants attention. The other doesn't meow too much except when she wants something really bad. Mine are ok in the car though.

I took home this one cat (after my first cat) and she non-stopped meowed in the car but once i got her inside she didn't say anything for a few weeks. She was scared I guess and I felt bad for her. She just wasn't the right cat for me. I took her back and tried a different cat which was totally different and cool and kept her :D
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Ours are noisy too. I think its because we talk to them, and they've learned they get attention if they vocalize. There's one guy and he'll be sitting quietly and if you walk past him you get this big meow as if he wants treats (which he usually gets).

They all complain in the car though - its very unfamiliar to them, and they're not used to the movement.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008