R.I.P., Maj. Dick Winters

aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/01/1 ... -dies.html

Sad to read this news just now. A true American hero died.

Rest in peace, Major. Thank you for everything.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• aNiMaL wrote:
    http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/01/10/1496226/band-of-brothers-inspiration-dies.html

Extremely grateful that Spielberg and Hanks brought this story to light with an HBO miniseries. Probably one of the greatest things we will ever see on television. RIP Winters!

I will always think of my grandfather when I think of Winters! One of the greatest teachers, coaches, patriots! RIP crazylegs!
  • joely_91joely_91 Posts: 795
    band of brothers such a good series....the actor that portrayed him did an awesome job to :)

R.I.P. Winters :(
  • aNiMaL wrote:
    http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/01/10/1496226/band-of-brothers-inspiration-dies.html

Glad somebody posted this.

RIP Mr. Winters.
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    aNiMaL wrote:

RIP Mr. Winters.

Same here. I was going to post it myself, but I am glad to see that somebody beat me to the punch. A good man and a great leader will be missed. If anybody hasn't done so, check out "Beyond Band of Brothers." A book Winters wrote about his experiences during the events chronicled in "Band of Brothers." Definitely gives you a good perspective of the things he went through personally and the challenges he faced. Good read!
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    aNiMaL wrote:

RIP Mr. Winters.

Same here. I was going to post it myself, but I am glad to see that somebody beat me to the punch. A good man and a great leader will be missed. If anybody hasn't done so, check out "Beyond Band of Brothers." A book Winters wrote about his experiences during the events chronicled in "Band of Brothers." Definitely gives you a good perspective of the things he went through personally and the challenges he faced. Good read!
    I want to read that.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I meant to post this too. I'm glad somebody else did. I read his book - he sounds like such a great guy. Maybe I'll have to dig out Band of Brothers and watch some of it tonight.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I just saw this in the paper today. Very sad news. He is the epitomy of an American hero. Band of Brothers was such a great book and a great mini-series. Glad they got a chance to make it while a lot of those guys were still alive. I enjoyed the bonus DVD that was just the documentary including the interviews of all the veterans. I always got teared up toward the end when he told of his grandson asking him this question:

"Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?"

"No", he replied "but I served with a lot of heroes."

That pretty much says it all. Rest in Peace Mr. Winters.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    A true hero in every sense of the word.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Respect to the best officer I never met. Thanks to Spielberg and Hanks for bringing this man and his company's heroics to HBO. Wish I could have met the man personally and thanked him for his service. Every aspiring officer should read his book and watch his interviews.
  • Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    RIP Major Winters.

On another note it is pretty sad that this only gets 10 comments, but I bet if Lohan kicked it there would be like 10 pages. :evil: :(
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Posts: 2,682
    edited October 2015
    I feel this thread deserves reviving, perhaps because I share somewhat the sentiments of the poster above, who was disappointed at the lack of interest.

Major Winters was an incredible man and I also would like to pay him tribute. When watching Band of Brothers, we should never for one second forget that this isn't just another well-made TV drama, this is a re-enaction of the horror and the pain that real men experienced, men like Dick Winters.

I think it would be appropriate to share some lines from Longfellow that Winters included in the closing reflections in his book

Lives of great men all remind us
    We can make our lives sublime
    And, departing, leave behind us
    Footsteps on the sands of time

Major Winters certainly left his mark
    Post edited by jnimhaoileoin on
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996

I feel this thread deserves reviving, perhaps because I share somewhat the sentiments of the poster above, who was disappointed at the lack of interest.

Major Winters was an incredible man and I also would like to pay him tribute. When watching Band of Brothers, we should never for one second forget that this isn't just another well-made TV drama, this is a re-enaction of the horror and the pain that real men experienced, men like Dick Winters.

I think it would be appropriate to share some lines from Longfellow that Winters included in the closing reflections in his book

This is a time when I wish there was some sort of "like" button. Very lovely post.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Enkidu said:

This is a time when I wish there was some sort of "like" button. Very lovely post.
    Agreed.

Jenny, you have a very nice way of combining sentiment with eloquence.

We don't have HBO anymore but if we get Netflix, that'll be first on my watch.
  • hedonist said:

Enkidu said:

Agreed.

Jenny, you have a very nice way of combining sentiment with eloquence.

We don't have HBO anymore but if we get Netflix, that'll be first on my watch.
    If it were in my power, I would have every teenage student across the world watch it, so that our future leaders might have some appreciation of the horrors or war and endeavour to do their best to prevent a repeat of such terrible events.

What those soldiers endured....truly remarkable men