Herniated discs - what's your experience?

lovebuzzlovebuzz Posts: 42
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
So, I found out last week that the should pain and numbness/tingling I've had in my left arm and fingers for the last 6 months is because I have a herniated disc in my neck (between the C5 and C6 vertabrae). My orhtopaedic doc told me this last week and referred me to a spine doc, saying that based on the radiologist report from my c-spine MRI, the damage is pretty extensive and I'll probably have to have surgery.

The spine doc's office called and said they don't have appointments open until the end of MARCH. And that's just to talk to the guy and discuss my options, not even to actually have the surgery. So right now, I'm a bit in the dark about what will happen if I have to have surgery, what my alternatives to surgery are, etc. Anyone else have experience with herniated discs? Did you have to have surgery? How much pain were you in before and after the surgery (I ask this because I had an addiction problem to pain meds in the past, so I'm a little concerned about a few things - like, if I'm really in a lot of pain, am I going to be too afraid to ask the doctor for something? Will my wife think I'm just bluffing about the pain to get the pills, even if I truly am hurting? If you've ever dealt with addiction in the past, but had a painful injury and needed surgery, how did your doctor react when you told him/her about your addiction? Were they compassionate or did they decide then and there that you're and awful person and deserve to suffer?).

Anyway, any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    My Dad had 8 herniated discs, got to the point he couldnt walk for 6 month's, finally got the ok from work and dissability to get the surgey, he was up and walking abound about an hour after surgey (which is a piece of cake and leaves a tiny scar), best thing he ever did, still has cronic pain( on extra strength vicodan daily) and moved to Florida, to cope. So don't be afriad of the surgey, but your probably going to have to take medication for the rest of your life.
  • jg1988jg1988 Posts: 181
    love buzz,

I had a herniated disc on my L5-S1 and had a microdiscectomy August of 2009. It is the best decision you can make. Make sure you visit a neurosurgeon. I had severe and chronic pain down my left leg for about a year and never took pain meds. I woke up after the surgery and had absolutely no pain WHATSOEVER! Of course you are going to be sore, however I am quite positive that if you tell your Doc about your past addiction that he can manage your pain with minimal use of narcotic medication, maybe even with just some big advil doses. I saw visit a neurosurgeon because mine told me constantly that chiropractors lack the surgical insight because they work to alleviate pain and not fix herniation's. For a surgery like yours, they would have to go in through your neck to fix the herniation, this is minimally invasive and you would be walking and talking that night most likely. Recovery for me was 6 months basically changing how I bend, turn and sit. Any other questions or concerns let me know. hope this helps a little...
  • SP96445SP96445 Posts: 215
    I had a herniated disc 5-6 years ago in lower back (L5-S1) and was almost completely unable to function for 2-3 weeks. I ended up NOT having surgery after my "world famous" spine doctor told me of a study in Sweden (where they have socialized health care). The study found no real difference in quality of life of those who had the surgery and those who did not 5 years after the injury.
    Other facts he told me:
    American medicine loves the quick resolution so the patient can get back to work as quickly as possible and continue to pay for their health insurance premiums.
    Second, the success rate for disc surgery is 80% success, 10% no change, 10% get worse. Also even with laser surgery they cut through muscle to get there and you will have physical therapy afterward.
    For acute pain try accupuncture for any relief and possibly an epidural to bring down the swelling.
    Anyway you slice it (pun intended) it is not a fun road ahead for you for 2-3 months. Pain pills will be needed to cope but if you choose surgery there is no second chance later. Consider your age and your lifestyle for the future before taking a plan of action

Good Luck!
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I have arthritis in my neck, 1.5 herniated disks at the same level as you, bulging discs, and the pain radiates into my arms and i have tingling. the reason i had (mri) tests was because of the shoulder blade pain (which is called radiocupathy)

I can't spell but it means it radiates down from my neck to my shoulder and arm. In 2006, a knife happy surgery could not wait to operate. So I got a 2nd opinion at Johns' Hopkins. He said I needed even more surgery than the first surgeon said. Do what I did....get multiple opinions (I even saw a neuorologist -- paid him out of my own pocket -- and he said no surgery.) I asked the Johns Hopkins doctor what he would do if he were me and he said no, not now. He said I had 3 levels of problems and there was a 30 percent chance that 1 level could be fixed or my numbness could be worse.

research chiropractic adjustments for pinched nerves and herniated discs. I hope you feel better.

if you opt for surgery, make sure you understand how long the metal is when they do the fusion.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    try physical therapy/exercise before anything!
    did you see me? i saw you.