Loss of a pet

PearlyOceansPearlyOceans Posts: 156
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Yesterday the vet put my sweet cat Tommie to sleep.
He was 16 years old and was done with life. He stopped eating two days ago and peed in my bed. He had a hard time breathing and he lost his balance a lot (I later learned it was because he hardly had any muscles left). I knew that I had to say goodbye but I never thought it would be so hard to let go of him. I've been crying ever since.
His brother Timmie seems to be ok. He's a little quiet but he's not looking for his brother or anything, but I can't help feeling sorry for him. He's all by himself now. Poor thing.

How did you cope with the loss of your pet?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    So sorry to hear this, PO.

First you have to give yourself some time to get used to an idea. And keep an eye on Timmie. I'm not sure how cats do with the loss of another cat, but in dogs there's a whole lot of reorganization as they figure out their places in the new world order.

I found it extremely helpful to have the other dogs when we lost our first fellow, The Late, Great Seamus. They were a source of comfort for us.

I like having three dogs, so when we were ready, I started looking at Petfinder and along came a little 8-week-old mutt who charmed us from the very first glance.

You'll know it when and if the time is right for you to bring home another cat. In the meantime, try to remember that Tommy had a wonderful life with you and that at the end, you gave him the gift of release.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Posts: 22,692
    Sorry for your loss. My dog is 13 and i figure that he has 2 yrs max left then I will feel your pain. Not looking forward to that.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • The vet said she thought Timmie probably already said goodbye to his brother. There is a big chance he knew Tommie was going to die. Still, I'm keeping an eye on him.
    I don't want to lose him too.

I don't think I will get a new cat though. I live on my own and I don't have anyone to look after my pets in case of an emergency. Going away on holiday is not possible right now.
    But then again, I really enjoy their company and it will be awfully quiet without pets. So who knows.
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    I'm so so sorry PO.
    Hold dear your memories.
    I'm not a "cat person" but LOVE is LOVE is LOVE.
    I lost my Hankie doggie over the past summer.
    He'd been with me from age 6 wks to 7 and 1/2 years when he passed suddenly.
    And I'm crying for him and for you as I read your post.
    The pain seems to go away and then it comes back as sharp as if it had happened just today.
    Let yourself cry.
    Let yourself feel.
    Look at your photos.
    Share your stories of Tommie.
    We're here for you.
    The love you have for him will never go away.
    Just be sure of that.
    Many of us here have recently lost pets and understand what you're going through.
    Just talk....we're an ear.

hank_profile.jpg?t=1294514924
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Awww, Hankie was adorable. Sorry for your loss.
    I wish I had more pictures of my cats. I should have taken more even though they hate(d) the camera.

Tom and Tim became my pets 6 years ago, Their first owner's kids were allergic. She tried everything, but in the end she had to let go of them.
    I'm glad I was able to give them a new home and some peace (those kids were hyperactive).

I know it sounds weird, but I feel sadder losing my cat than when I lost my grandparents :oops:.

Thanks for your support guys.

Edit: found a pic of my babies (hope it works). http://scuttle.mirror.waffleimages.com/ ... 1a8d47.jpg
    Tom is on the left.
  • I am so sorry for your loss.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I'm sorry for your loss.
    Consider yourself very fortunate to know this kind of love. You are blessed.
    It is also a blessing when you have your beloved pet for a lifetime, a normal life expectancy.
    We just never know when we may lose one to illness or tragedy before their time is due.
    Having been through both, honor them with your tears and when the time is right love again.
    There are so many who need love.
    Oh and Timmie's not alone...he has you!
    4082c324561535887f257d4ba1b4b149891a8d47.jpg

Tommie is on the left.

So is that Timmie with Tommie?

There ya go.

You are not alone, I have made similar statements as have friends who have lost their beloved pets.
    Its just that our pets provide us with such an unconditional love, a love that might be impossible to have with a human being. Of course we mourn them tremendously. How could we not?
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Thanks StillHere, I was't able to post the pic (something about not hosting from Waffleimages??).
    Yes, that's Timmie on the right.
    Thanks StillHere, I was't able to post the pic (something about not hosting from Waffleimages??).
    Yes, that's Timmie on the right.

whenever you want to post a pic
    go to the actual photo
    right click and choose "view image info"
    copy and paste that info here
    then highlight it and choose IMG from above
    there are several other ways to get bigger, smaller pic etc
    But that's the fastest and easiest way
    BEAUTIFUL KITTIES!
    peace,
    jo

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,828
    Sorry about the loss of your kitteh

Luckily I still have mine. They are kinda young and in pretty good health. But if something happened to them I would ball my eyes out.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Yesterday the vet put my sweet cat Tommie to sleep.
    He was 16 years old and was done with life. He stopped eating two days ago and peed in my bed. He had a hard time breathing and he lost his balance a lot (I later learned it was because he hardly had any muscles left). I knew that I had to say goodbye but I never thought it would be so hard to let go of him. I've been crying ever since.
    His brother Timmie seems to be ok. He's a little quiet but he's not looking for his brother or anything, but I can't help feeling sorry for him. He's all by himself now. Poor thing.

How did you cope with the loss of your pet?

Hey dude/dudette,
    I went through the same thing in 2009.
    Was the hardest thing thus far in my life.
    I was in tears for a while.
    The hardest part was going to work, then when you come home from work you realise your pet is no longer there to greet you when you come home, that hurt.
    Trust me the pain will go away but you will always remember your Tommie.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Tom and Tim became my pets 6 years ago, Their first owner's kids were allergic. She tried everything, but in the end she had to let go of them.
    I'm glad I was able to give them a new home and some peace (those kids were hyperactive).

I know it sounds weird, but I feel sadder losing my cat than when I lost my grandparents :oops:.
    I'm very sorry about Tommie. :cry:

I don't think it's strange to feel more sad about his death. For most of us, our grandparents may not live nearby and usually we're physically removed from them during their final illnesses or at their death. Tommie was part of your life every day and you also had to watch his health fail. It's a much more immediate experience, along with coming home each day and he's no longer there. Pets give us nothing but love and ask so little of us. Of course it's heart breaking to lose a friend like that.

Right now, my husband's sister is coping with losing one of her birds. I'm sure there are people who think it's strange to grieve for a parakeet but it makes perfect sense to me. A bird that lived with her for 9 years, that could talk (he would say "I love you," "my name is Baby," a few more phrases)--how could she not miss him?

I've been through the loss of several of my dogs over the years and even when you lovingly make that decision to end their pain, it's never easy. Cry as much as you need to, remember all the good things about Tommie, be good to yourself.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I feel very badly for all in this thread who have lost a pet. Mine died suddenly when I was 23. That was shocking, he wasn't even old. Then 3 years ago, we had to put our nearly 16 yr old kitty to sleep. I said I would never have another pet, as I felt like someone ripped my heart out as he was wasting away from kidney disease and cancer. Then my friend/coworker found a rescued kitty at a petstore and she left me a message at work. I could tell she was holding back the tears. I believe she thought he was my kitty reincarnated. She said he was screaming for her attention. Well now that I have the kitty, I'd say he was screaming from hunger :(

The only way to deal with the pain is to keep yourself busy or try to think about something else. Kind of like when you are dumped by your b/f or g/f or spouse.

It's hard! When my 4 yr old cat died when I was 23, I thought about his death too much. Like when I was driving, I would try to relive the days before, wondering what went wrong.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your cat. :cry: I know how hard it can be, pets are family members, and it's truly an awful thing for a family to go through...

I don't take the loss of a pet very well at all....

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • So sorry to hear about poor Tommie. Sending good vibes your way! I'll never forget losing my first dog - and not from old age. She was just a pup (a year or so old) and I had some friends watch her while I was at work. We were in college and my friends were pretty stupid, shooting off fireworks in the backyard. it scared her to death and she bolted. Made it out of the neighborhood and onto the main street where she was hit by a car :( I cried and cried - I was devatstated.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    Aww, what a heartbreak. I am a huge animal lover and reading all these replies was a bittersweet experience. Losing a pet IS like losing a family member, because as someone else graciously put it, "love, is love, is love.."

Wishing you all the best. Isn't it nice to see how many PJ family members are here for you? Your kitties are/were adorable. Take care.
  • Thank you all for the kind words. It makes my day a little better.
    Today was the first workday of the week. I just got home and Timmie seems to be ok. I felt really bad leaving him all alone.
    I'm thinking about taking him on a little trip. There are some parcs who allow animals. I don't know if he'll like it though. I think I'll give it a try.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I'm so sorry - we've lost several cats, and they are part of the family. It feels like losing a family member (which I can say because I have lost family members).

I'd suggest though (just my opinion) that you not take Timmie out into an unfamiliar situation like an outside park if he is not used to it, esp. just yet. My cats stay inside, and most of them have no interest in going outdoors. They get scared and seem to be happiest in their familiar surroundings where they know where everything is, where their food, water and litter box are.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • I don't think Timmie minds where he is, as long he had a comfy place to sleep. I'm going to give it a try. If it doesn't work out I can go home.
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    my condolences, grieve for a few days, go down to your local spca and rescue another kitty.....lord knows they euthenize far too many
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009