Thinking of moving to Chicago, anyone live there?

Rival178Rival178 Posts: 608
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm thinking of moving my family to Chicago. We currently live in Tulsa Ok and are looking to move to a bigger better city. Anyone here have any opinions on Chicago?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    We moved to the are from toledo (300k poeple).

If you do it, move into the city. The burbs suck.

I gotta say, i prefer a smaller city.

Its expensive here. Politians are so damn corrupt.

It depends on what you want. Some poeple love it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Rival178 wrote:
    I'm thinking of moving my family to Chicago. We currently live in Tulsa Ok and are looking to move to a bigger better city. Anyone here have any opinions on Chicago?
    Do it.

I've lived in the metro area my whole life. I never plan to leave. There's just way too much to do around here and we have the best food in the country.
  • Rival178 wrote:
    Do it.

I've lived in the metro area my whole life. I never plan to leave. There's just way too much to do around here and we have the best food in the country.

I concur with this statement. Especially the food part.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,799
    81 wrote:

What makes Chicago politics that corrupt compared to NY or any other place there's money?? I've heard that forever, but can't imagine being that much worse than Albany or anywhere else
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    81 wrote:

What makes Chicago politics that corrupt compared to NY or any other place there's money?? I've heard that forever, but can't imagine being that much worse than Albany or anywhere else

there is currently one governor in prison. anouther that could still be joining him.

the former county board president hired his campain manager after his re election bid failed. she prompty started cutting checks for $24,975 to her consulting firm. why that amount? because it's just be low the $25K level that would require board approval. she is currently sitting in jail waiting trial.

you have a mayor that leases the rights to parking meters for 75 years for half the value, of course, parking rates rocket as soon as this happens.

the sales tax is the highest in the nation
    the state income tax is about to jump to pay for who knows what

the commissioner of the METRA (local rail transport to the burbs) recently walked in front of a metra train because he was skimming off the top

than their is the tollway commission. a major cluster fuck

every other day it seems there is something coming out of the woodwork.

but yes, there is a ton to do here. great sport city, tons of places to eat (although a lot are over priced). well, everything is over priced. a decent beer will run you 4.5 at the bar, go someplace else and you can get it for 3

gas was 40 cents higher here than the lowest spot we saw on our vacation. 30 cents higher than most spots.
    speaking of taxes...a pack of smokes will run you close to $10 in the city. not that i say you should smoke. they also tax the crap out of booze.

the pension systems in the state are fucked. retire at 55 and get full pay for life. heck, when you are 54, ask for a promotion and get the new salary for life.

and if that's not, cubs fans are the worst. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    81, your sales taxes are higher than 9.8%?
    our taxes on liquor here are outta control too....like a $9 bottle of vodka will run you $18 here
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    4and20 wrote:
    81, your sales taxes are higher than 9.8%?
    our taxes on liquor here are outta control too....like a $9 bottle of vodka will run you $18 here

9.5% where i work, unless you are going out for dinner, than it's 11.75%

chicago was 10.25% but they just repealed half of a 1% increase so it's now 9.75% for general merchandise. food is 11% in the city.

tax on standard 80 proof liqour is 4.76 for a 750ml bottle. i don't they are even allowed to sell liter bottles here. everythign is 750ml or 1.75L. weird

go to the grocery store? normal groceries are taxed 1%. i'd have to double check, but i think they also tax prescriptions.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • CHICAGO ROCKS

i've visited NY, LA, london, etc.

i just like the size and the people of chicago... there's something down to earth and real about it/them

weather sucks, but it makes you appreciate kick ass chicago summers that much more :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Love Chicago. Lived there for a few years in the mid 90's when we needed a break from California, and would move there again if the opportunity presented itself.

Seemed like there was always something going on in Grant Park over the summer, and some great shows year round.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I visited Chicago for the first time last August and had a unbelievable time. The PJ concert helped...but I really, really enjoyed the city. A lot to do...like said above, awesome food, and plenty of sports to watch and go to.

Just a bad ass city. I can't wait to go back.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I visited Chicago for the first time last August

i missed a show?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    81 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I visited Chicago for the first time last August

i missed a show?

Excuse me, 2009. I keep forgetting we're in 2011. :oops:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,799
    I've been there the past two Augusts(pj and Lolla 2010) and it was a blast both times. People seemed very friendly, great food, great city!!!!!!

I like it
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Chicago is without a doubt the best big city in the country in my opinion.
    I grew up in the area, and lived there for 20 years. I travel a lot for work and have been to every state and every large city, and there is no city that even comes close to the greatness of Chicago.
    While it's not perfect, it's imperfections are far fewer than anywhere else.
    I live in Arizona now (for work) but I have every intention of moving back!

Oh! and the food will melt your face! :D
  • I live in the North side in Rogers Park. I LOVE living in Chicago...the winter is miserable but it's a great city. As someone else mentioned though, the suburbs do suck
  • I live in the North side in Rogers Park. I LOVE living in Chicago...the winter is miserable but it's a great city. As someone else mentioned though, the suburbs do suck

I'm on the North side too....in the west Lakeview area.

The winters are pretty brutal, but it doesn't get any better than summertime in Chicago. Only 6 more months away!!
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    Rival178 wrote:

I like the are that would be encompassing those apartments that overlook Wrigley.. But I've only been through the airport. Maybe this Summer I'll be able to spend additional time there..
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Oh man i LOVE Chicago! There is so much to say about that place. I feel very much at home when I am there! Someday i will move in to the AQUA building :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    I've lived in the city for 6.5 years now, and have no plans on moving anytime soon. Decent public transportation, tons of stuff to do, pretty skyline/lake, great food, etc. Yes, the sales tax is ridiculous and there's a ton of traffic, but I still love living here.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016