Baby Turtles Hatching in Mexico

eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I was on holiday in Akumal, Mexico when these turtles hatched. In the first video the turtles hatched during the day so the turtle patrol collected them and released them at dusk.(2nd video) So cool to see.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpabI9dBkT0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aICoL73m60Y&NR=1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    That is amazing! Their instinct to get to the water seems so strong. I love the way the one you zoomed in on stops for a second, like he's catching his breath...

Thanks for sharing that!
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    Yeah, the reason they make that walk is because the scent of the sand becomes embedded in their senses and they return to the same spot as adults to lay eggs.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Cool.

I like tuttles.
    ;)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    Nature is truly amazing!!! Thank you so much for sharing... :clap: :thumbup:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Awwwwww that's cute! :D Thanks
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    that's amazing. that one little guy sure was determined! :D
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • The biggest thrill is not to kill but to let live ... Thanks for post this.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    That's awesome! Great footage. Thanks for sharing that with us. :D
  • crazycrazy Posts: 174
    aMAZING.
  • Paulina87Paulina87 Posts: 3,300
    How sweet!! You should bring me one... ;)
    Chorzów 2007 - Berlin 2009 - Berlin 2010 - Gdynia 2010 - Berlin 2012 - Berlin 2012 - Stockholm 2012 - EV Manchester 2012 - Milan 2014 - Trieste 2014 - Vienna 2014 - Berlin 2014 - Gdynia 2014 - Rio 2018 - Sao Paulo 2018
  • Turtle power!
    I knew it all along, see?
  • crazycrazy Posts: 174
    Its more than a pearl jam fan club site here,facinating stuff,great post,thanks for sharing,watched it twice today already. :)
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    That's awesome.

Why can't they put them down closer to the water? I was waiting for some birds of prey to swoop in...
    That's awesome.

Why can't they put them down closer to the water? I was waiting for some birds of prey to swoop in...

I asked the turtle guy the same question. He said the walk through the sand is like some kind of internal GPS. They will return to this exact spot as adults to lay eggs. If he drops them right by the water they wont get the "sense" of the sand. Also, he released them at dusk to help with their chance of survival against birds. They normally hatch in the middle of the night.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    eddiec wrote:
    That's awesome.

I asked the turtle guy the same question. He said the walk through the sand is like some kind of internal GPS. They will return to this exact spot as adults to lay eggs. If he drops them right by the water they wont get the "sense" of the sand. Also, he released them at dusk to help with their chance of survival against birds. They normally hatch in the middle of the night.

Cool, thanks!
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    eddiec wrote:
    That's awesome.

why can't I have a relaxing job like the turtle guy :D
    (hey you subscribed to me! how rare for someone to subscribe to me. you will be bombarded with my boring videos. I had to make some private as when I googled my username, I did not like some of the sites where my youtubes ended up, sadly.)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    Turtle guy has one of the best jobs ever! He just walks the beaches in Akumal and Tulum, Mexico, looking for turtle nests.
  • Very cool vids. We have lots of turtle nests on our beaches here but I've never seen them hatch. I've always wondered whe they tend to hatch during the night too (but not in this case obviously). They have ordinances here about bright lights opposite the ocean to not distract them, since the turtles will follow the moonlight reflected off the water to find the ocean. Cool stuff
    We were but stones your light made us stars