Options

Pedalboards

MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
edited October 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
Curious if anyone here has built their own pedalboard. I have some scrap wood laying around and have started to assemble one as I am tired of the mess of pedals/cables all over the carpet.

Any suggestions or recommendations as to what to include (obviously I already have the industrial strength velcro! :D ) such as power supply, etc.

Anyone have pics of one they have built?

Thanks!
"Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Rubber feet on the bottom to prevent slipping around if you play out. And spray paint it black.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    The rubber feet were hard to find but alas, Home Depot had them. Unfortunately they are a white-ish color instead of black. But they stick down into the carpet, so I can't see them anyways. :D I didn't spray paint the board black, seems like everyone has a black one. After seeing one that was painted orange (no way I would use orange even though it looked alright) I decided to use a dark red for the paint color. Has a good color contrast with the black velcro.

I am debating taking some left over plywood and adding a small riser for the 2nd row to make it easier to get to those pedals with my big ol feet.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

• Options
    The rubber feet were hard to find but alas, Home Depot had them. Unfortunately they are a white-ish color instead of black. But they stick down into the carpet, so I can't see them anyways. :D I didn't spray paint the board black, seems like everyone has a black one. After seeing one that was painted orange (no way I would use orange even though it looked alright) I decided to use a dark red for the paint color. Has a good color contrast with the black velcro.

I am debating taking some left over plywood and adding a small riser for the 2nd row to make it easier to get to those pedals with my big ol feet.

As long as it's painted. : ) Back row risers aren't a bad idea either. Lets see it when you are done.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Get a Voodoo Labs power supply. 1spot isn't bad in a pinch, but I noticed a huge difference when I stepped up. My effects sound better and it's gonna last alot longer than a 1spot.
  • Options
    I haven't had one single problem with my one spot ever.
    Member 164xxx

More to Come....
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I haven't had one single problem with my one spot ever.

Good for you. Mine started being pretty finnicky(sp?) out after about 9 months and got worse from there.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Remember: a 1Spot is power for your pedals. Voodoo Labs Pedal Power (regardless of edition) is isolated, conditioned power. If you're just replacing batteries with an affordable wall wart, get the 1Spot. If you want good, clean, noiseless (but expensive) power, get the Pedal Power.

Here's my board:

Pedalboard-1.jpg

Solid pine sides and back over an MDF tray. Cut holes in the sides and back for routing cables, plus handles on either side. It all fits into a small, cheap synth case I bought off eBay.

If I had it to do over again, I'd make it out of aluminum; damn thing is heavy!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... =512465746

My current board... Except I no longer have the TS-9. It's an SKB PS-45 powered board and case. Was expensive, but very convenient. I might build a smaller 'grab and go' board.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Options
    Since we have been snowed in this week in the ATL, I had some time to work on the board some more...

20110112175316.jpg

20110112175331-Copy.jpg

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I'd like to build one eventually, but for now I just have an SKB-45.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Since we have been snowed in this week in the ATL, I had some time to work on the board some more...

20110112175316.jpg

20110112175331-Copy.jpg
    What's your signal flow?
  • Options

20110112175316.jpg

20110112175331-Copy.jpg
    What's your signal flow?

Right now it is setup as:
    Guitar->tuner->rotovibe->wah->CS3->OCD->ST2-BD2->Tubescreamer->CH1->Small Stone->DigiDelay->Volume->Amp (Peavey Classic50)

Probably gonna end up moving a couple around and putting the Rotovibe near the end. I kinda like the sound better with it at the end. I just forgot to set it up that way after I got all of the velcro set the other day.

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    photo.JPG

built a tier for mine today to hide my power supply and make things tidier. that also made room to throw my SHO clone on. just a sheet of 1/4" poplar and some thicker boards for legs. industrial velcro over everything. the main board is 1/2" MDF and a couple of cabinet handles. 6 rubber feet on the bottom. if i had to do it again, i'd use something other than MDF. it's heavy.

the board is sized to fit in the soft case of the old SKB-25(? i think it was 25) that i used to have. horrible plastic thing with a crap daisy chained power strip that luckily died.
  • Options
    My most recent version for tidying up my bass pedals:

a432fc17-d85a-4093-87f7-7ebe445e16d0.jpg

I think it cost about $15 for the wood (1x4 & 1x2), $5 each for a can of spray paint and a can of clear coat, and a couple of bucks for the rubber feet. I already had the Velcro from the previous project. I still have to finish the wiring, but it already looks ten times better than the pedals on the floor.

I'm thinking about getting another 1x2 and using the other leftovers to make a smaller board for the guitar pedals. Plus, it gives me an excuse to use power tools and sniff paint fumes!

• Options
    xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    My most recent version for tidying up my bass pedals:

a432fc17-d85a-4093-87f7-7ebe445e16d0.jpg

I think it cost about $15 for the wood (1x4 & 1x2), $5 each for a can of spray paint and a can of clear coat, and a couple of bucks for the rubber feet. I already had the Velcro from the previous project. I still have to finish the wiring, but it already looks ten times better than the pedals on the floor.

I'm thinking about getting another 1x2 and using the other leftovers to make a smaller board for the guitar pedals. Plus, it gives me an excuse to use power tools and sniff paint fumes!
    My buddy also has that EBS Octa-bass. Great sound!
  • Options
    It is definitely cooler sounding than the boss equivalent

I don't use it too much yet, but I have been experimenting with some combinations.

Pretty sure I'm gonna make a similar sized one from the leftover wood for my guitar pedals. The small size is too good to pass up.

Oh, and PS, the wiring is done now. All of the cables now run under the board!

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,975
    How do you like the DS-1 for bass? Are you losing low-end with it on?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    No,I actually bought it used from a guy who had it modded so that it could be used with a bass without the low end loss. It actually sounds pretty cool now.

• Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Remember: a 1Spot is power for your pedals. Voodoo Labs Pedal Power (regardless of edition) is isolated, conditioned power. If you're just replacing batteries with an affordable wall wart, get the 1Spot. If you want good, clean, noiseless (but expensive) power, get the Pedal Power.

Here's my board:

Pedalboard-1.jpg

Solid pine sides and back over an MDF tray. Cut holes in the sides and back for routing cables, plus handles on either side. It all fits into a small, cheap synth case I bought off eBay.

If I had it to do over again, I'd make it out of aluminum; damn thing is heavy!

Nice board.
  • Options
    Here is my DIY board using a shelf from IKEA.

IMAG0247.jpg