Disneyland vs. Disney World

BamaPJFanBamaPJFan Posts: 410
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
How about this for a random as hell forum question?

For those of you who have been to both of these parks, which one did you like better and why? I'm going to be paying a visit to Disneyland next month for the first time on a trip out to Los Angeles.
United Center (Chicago): 8/24/09
Gibson Amphitheatre (Los Angeles): 10/7/09

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Land... Easier to manipulate 2 parks in one day
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Disney World pwned Disneyland
  • BamaPJFanBamaPJFan Posts: 410

That's good to hear.

The only advantage Land has, is
    worldofcolor.jpg

Awesome, but thats it.

Disney World advantages are Tower of Terror, Rock n Roll Rollercoaster, Animal Kingdom, Mnt Everest, The Philharmagic, Mission Space, Test Track, 2 Water Parks, IllumInations, Etc...
    BamaPJFan wrote:

That's good to hear.

i've done 4 in Disney World.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    so with large gaps between visits and one visit being with family. I liked both parks.

In 4 days I was able to visit Knott's Berry Farm, Land, and Universal Studios. Cliff notes style mind you!

In a week I saw World and Sea World. (I went on all of the 'educational' World things)

Both parks have their own thing...that you won't find in the other park (characters, rides). But I do recommend if you are going to Land, to run over to the Pirates of the Caribbean ride as soon as you get there and make reservations to have dinner at their restaurant. It was really fun to have dinner and watch all the people sitting in the ride going by. I went to said parks before all the cool stuff came about...the animal park, tower of terror, and California adventure.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • WhyGo77WhyGo77 Posts: 113
    I have been to both (and Tokyo Disney)...they are all great. 4and20 is right - they both have their own subtle differences that make them unique. Disneyland is much, much smaller but it is an awesome place and where the whole Disney 'magic' started.

Enjoy.
    "I'll ride the wave, where it takes me..."

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine..."
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    We are planning on going to DL this weekend. We got engaged there, so it has meaning to us.

We got engaged in front of Mickey, and as G-d as my witness, I will be very angry if he doesn't remember us!
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Wow!! Lucky you!! :D Have fun! I have only been to the Paris one, don't know what the hell that was? Land or World. Whatever it was it was great so I'm sure it won't matter which one you go to, America's ones are supposed to be bigger and better anyway aren't they?? My husband pissed off the wicked witch from Snow White by stealing her poisoned apple and she screamed obscenities at him in french, oooops! hehehe

Just thought I would show you this too, found it rather concerning!! :lol:
    http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/lat ... at-disney/
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • BamaPJFanBamaPJFan Posts: 410
    4and20 wrote:
    so with large gaps between visits and one visit being with family. I liked both parks.

In 4 days I was able to visit Knott's Berry Farm, Land, and Universal Studios. Cliff notes style mind you!

In a week I saw World and Sea World. (I went on all of the 'educational' World things)

Both parks have their own thing...that you won't find in the other park (characters, rides). But I do recommend if you are going to Land, to run over to the Pirates of the Caribbean ride as soon as you get there and make reservations to have dinner at their restaurant. It was really fun to have dinner and watch all the people sitting in the ride going by. I went to said parks before all the cool stuff came about...the animal park, tower of terror, and California adventure.

Excellent advice. I'm also hoping that February will provide smaller crowds than most of the rest of the year.

• SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    They are BOTH awesome! However, any given day i choose Disneyland here in Cali. It seems to be more......well kept? And disneyWORLD is a whole lot bigger but who really needs all that for one weekend or DAY??!! :lol:
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    We are planning on going to DL this weekend. We got engaged there, so it has meaning to us.

We got engaged in front of Mickey, and as G-d as my witness, I will be very angry if he doesn't remember us!
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

worldofcolor.jpg

Awesome, but thats it.

Disney World advantages are Tower of Terror, Rock n Roll Rollercoaster, Animal Kingdom, Mnt Everest, The Philharmagic, Mission Space, Test Track, 2 Water Parks, IllumInations, Etc...

That water show is actually at California ADVENTURE not Disneyland. Yes, there IS a difference! :D

SENROCK wrote:
    worldofcolor.jpg

Awesome, but thats it.

That water show is actually at California ADVENTURE not Disneyland. Yes, there IS a difference! :D

Wow, i must research.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Wow, i must research.

Disneyland annual passholder here. I'm up there quite a bit with my kids.

Yeah, you need to see world of color. It's really good.

My advice, as soon as you know your dates, book a picnic or meal package for world of color. The seating is standing/reserved, you need to either grab a ticket as soon as the park opens, or have a picnic/meal that will give you reserved standing spot in the best section (this way you don't need to get in line to get the passes first thing in the morning).

Info on WOC meals are here:

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneys ... or/dining/

You can also book meals at the Pirates of The Carribean Restaurant (Blue Bayou) ahead of time too. There's a disney dining # you can call. Very much worth it to hit a sit down restaurant and take a break from the crowds, although February shouldn't be too bad unless it's a holiday weekend.

Check out Electronica at Disney California at night too, Flynn's Arcade is setup like the one from Tron, with a bunch of retro games.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • myramyra Posts: 1,257
    Loulou wrote:
    Wow!! Lucky you!! :D Have fun! I have only been to the Paris one, don't know what the hell that was? Land or World.

Eurodisney.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    BamaPJFan wrote:
    How about this for a random as hell forum question?

For those of you who have been to both of these parks, which one did you like better and why? I'm going to be paying a visit to Disneyland next month for the first time on a trip out to Los Angeles.

My family and I went to Disneyland the week before this past Thanksgiving. It was my first time and my wife hadn't been since she was 3. We surprised my 10 year old son. It was a fantastic time!
    I went to Disney World when I was 15 in 1994. I had a lot of fun, but it's been so long I can't remember a lot about it. I loved the Indiana Jones stunt show and Space Mountain.

You will have fun at Disneyland. If you haven't bought tickets yet, you might want to do the City Pass:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgro ... opnav=&s=1

I bought that one online and I didn't even have to be a Costco member to do it. We got there on a Sunday and just went to Downtown Disney, shops in between Disneyland and California Adventure, because we didn't want to use our pass for half a day. Monday we went to Disneyland, Tuesday we went to Universal Studios, Wed. California Adventure, Thursday: Disneyland again, Friday: Sea World in San Diego.

We all enjoyed Disneyland the most out of all the places. Just the atmosphere and attention to detail really makes it fun, rather than just a lot of rides spread out. The City Pass is great because we got to do all that stuff for $250 a person. It was a long drive to Universal, though, but it was mainly because of the traffic.
    (continued in next post)
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    edited January 2011
    (continued)

Sorry for posting over two replies, but it was too annoying to have the stuff I type scroll down after I typed it. Sea World was my least favorite, but that was our last theme park after 5 days straight!

It is worth going on non-peak times to Disneyland (all of the parks, actually). I work with a couple of women who have annual passes and one of them told me she went in 2009 the same weekend we went this past year and that there were no lines. That's how it was. We literally got off a lot of rides and went right back on them (Space Mountain, Grizzly Run). Friends of ours went the next week (Thanksgiving week) and they said the park was at capacity and they wouldn't let anyone else in. If you have a chance to go on a downtime that's the way to do it. The only real long wait we had was for the Indiana Jones ride our second time through. We should have just gotten fast passes and came back. I guess it was crowded around Christmas too:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/12/28/califo ... tml?hpt=C2

We had park hopper tickets so you can go back and forth to CA Adventure and Disneyland. Since it was our first time we just stayed at whichever park we went for the day, but those are nice if you have rides you want to hit again at both parks. I think for all the parks we got there when they opened and stayed until they closed.

World of Color is great, as people have mentioned. You can get fast passes by Grizzly Run the day of. That's what we did. We were in the "red zone" closest to the water so we got wet and some of the animations were blurrry, but it was still a good show. I wasn't as blown away by it as other people I know who have seen it, but it might have been that I was tired and it was a long wait for it to start.

You'll have a blast!
    Post edited by rrivers on
    worldofcolor.jpg

Awesome, but thats it.

California Adventure has Tower of Terror too.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    rrivers wrote:
    (continued)
    It is worth going on non-peak times to Disneyland (all of the parks, actually). I work with a couple of women who have annual passes and one of them told me she went in 2009 the same weekend we went this past year and that there were no lines. That's how it was. We literally got off a lot of rides and went right back on them (Space Mountain, Grizzly Run). Friends of ours went the next week (Thanksgiving week) and they said the park was at capacity and they wouldn't let anyone else in. If you have a chance to go on a downtime that's the way to do it. The only real long wait we had was for the Indiana Jones ride our second time through. We should have just gotten fast passes and came back.

We went the Monday of thanksgiving week, it was a nightmare. Crazy packed.

For a few rides (Indiana Jones, California Screaming, Splash Mountain) there is a single rider line available too. My kids and I usually get onto Indiana Jones within about 10-15 minutes (granted you aren't sitting next to one another) when the wait time is over an hour.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
    SENROCK wrote:
    worldofcolor.jpg

Awesome, but thats it.

Wow, i must research.

Please do.....

merkinball wrote:
    rrivers wrote:
    (continued)
    It is worth going on non-peak times to Disneyland (all of the parks, actually). I work with a couple of women who have annual passes and one of them told me she went in 2009 the same weekend we went this past year and that there were no lines. That's how it was. We literally got off a lot of rides and went right back on them (Space Mountain, Grizzly Run). Friends of ours went the next week (Thanksgiving week) and they said the park was at capacity and they wouldn't let anyone else in. If you have a chance to go on a downtime that's the way to do it. The only real long wait we had was for the Indiana Jones ride our second time through. We should have just gotten fast passes and came back.

We went the Monday of thanksgiving week, it was a nightmare. Crazy packed.

For a few rides (Indiana Jones, California Screaming, Splash Mountain) there is a single rider line available too. My kids and I usually get onto Indiana Jones within about 10-15 minutes (granted you aren't sitting next to one another) when the wait time is over an hour.

Good call on the single rider line. We did that for Splash Mountain because my son didn't want to go on it (he would go on rides if he didn't see the drop.), and we went through the exit for the single rider and my wife and I switched off.