Options

YOUR COMPRESSOR, and WHY YOU LOVE IT!

FirstExitFirstExit Los Angeles Posts: 972
edited January 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok, so my goal for the end of this week is to have a brand new compressor pedal. I'd like to keep my budget at around the $200-250 range, but if you think a pedal that's more expensive is REALLY worth it, I'd love to hear your suggestions. Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i've tried lots over the years. i gravitate towards the ross/dynacomp type compressors. just the simply two knob deals.

so that means things like the keeley compressor (find a used one) or perhaps the MXR handwired version of the old dynacomp. but honestly, the bog standard current production dynacomp is perfectly fine too.

another good option is a barber tone press which is a similar circuit but with a clean blend that makes it all the more flexible for guitars with different pickup outputs and the like. they're great value.

diamond makes a really good one too but it's optical. totally different approach but sounds really good.

i currently use a clone of the old dynacomp circuit that i built for myself from scratch. sounds excellent and i love it because i built it myself from the ground up (no printed circuit board even) and it just happens to have turned out really good.
  • Options
    Although I dont have this pedal (yet!) I'm still going to recommend something from PIGTRONIX. Either the Philosopher's Tone" http://pigtronix.com/products08/philosopherstone.html. Or the slightly more advanced "Philospopher King" http://pigtronix.com/products08/philosopherking.html. The "King" contains all the compression and sustain of the "Tone", but then also adds envelope generator, distortion, and a lot of expression options.

Check out those video samples! KILLER sounds!
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    If there wasn't already an older MXR Dynacomp on my board, I'd be looking at the 4-knob Keeley. The 2-knob Keeley is great (like Ex already said), and so are the MXR, script MXR, or the Maxon. It's the definition of guitar compression sound.

For bass, I'm really interested in the TC Electronics Nova Compressor; it appeals to the audio engineer in me to have all those controls, and the LED indicator lights; would also be great for acoustic guitar. I'm sure it's great for guitar, as well, but for me an electric guitar compressor should have that classic MXR/Ross kinda sound.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I just use an MXR Dynacomp. Not perfect, but it gets the job done. Gives my Strat a little extra 'umph' and kinda gives me a little bit more gain for everything.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    I REALLY don't want to piss anyone off, but seriously: get a Boss! I once thought I needed a compressor and got one (it turned out I really needed one) and my Boss CS-2 has always worked just fine FOR ME. If you're looking for something extravagant you might want to keep on looking but if you want an affordable pedal that gets the job done look into a CS-2.
    Bottom line: Everything you'll get here is opinions. If you want to find out about all that for yourself, try some out and find the best one in your pricerange.
  • Options
    MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    I REALLY don't want to piss anyone off, but seriously: get a Boss! I once thought I needed a compressor and got one (it turned out I really needed one) and my Boss CS-2 has always worked just fine FOR ME. If you're looking for something extravagant you might want to keep on looking but if you want an affordable pedal that gets the job done look into a CS-2.
    Bottom line: Everything you'll get here is opinions. If you want to find out about all that for yourself, try some out and find the best one in your pricerange.
    +1

I agree with you. I have the CS2 as well. For what I use it for and as shitty a player as I am, it works just fine for me. Plus at $40 used, it was in my budget too!
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Options
    I've always viewed the CS-2 as more of a sustainer than a compressor; the concepts are mostly the same, but there is a nuanced difference. But then again, a lot of that perception is that the MXR/Ross compressor was the sound you heard from every guitar player for ages, because they were the only real compressor pedals out there. So the MXR/Ross sound is instantly recognizable. All in all, the CS-2 is a great pedal, it just sounds different than I personally think of a compressor pedal sounding.
  • Options
    You're right about that. My CS-2 mostly gets used in more of a sustainer role too.
  • Options
    I am in the market for a compression pedal right now and was going to go mxr. Was anything improved upon with the Boss CS-3 over the CS-2?
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    trouble i had with the CS-3 was that the threshold just seems way too low. i.e. you hit the squish part of the circuit even with very low output from the guitar. the threshold of the dynacomp seems better suited to most single coils though still doesn't work well with humbuckers.

which is where mr. squishy comes in. though i've never gotten a chance to try one of these i did put a similar input gain control on an old EHX compressor a friend had.

http://www.toadworksusa.com/MS.html
  • Options
    exhausted wrote:
    trouble i had with the CS-3 was that the threshold just seems way too low.

As an old-school audio engineer, that's the problem I always had with guitar compressors. I want all the normal controls: Threshold, Ratio, Attack, Release, Output Gain, and maybe even a Knee control. Even my beloved Dynacomp just won't cut it on most stuff with HB's (as you said) or even my P-90's. I can use it for crazy saturation with my tubescreamers, but it doesn't work clean like it does with my Strat.

It's almost surprising that MXR hasn't developed an alternate version of the Dynacomp for use with HB guitars...

Then again, that's why I find the TC Elec. Nova Compressor so appealing. Knobs, and LED's showing gain reduction! What a novel idea! When is dbx going to make a guitar comp pedal? That's one I'd be interested in.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Mig, what about the Joe Meek floor comp? That's got the controls you seek if you don't want to go rack mount.

Currently I've got a Shannon Compressor (Volume, Gain, Tone) I don't have it on the board at the moment.

I like the Philosophers Tone Too! Not too terribly expensive.

I liked the Barber Tone Press too but my old standard is always the Dyna Comp.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Mig, what about the Joe Meek floor comp? That's got the controls you seek if you don't want to go rack mount.

Yeah, the FloorQ, I forget that's even out there now. It doesn't have the LED's for gain reduction, but it's got everything else. And it's gotta have good tone, knowing the Meek reputation. But again, it doesn't have that classic guitar comp thing going for it.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    http://www.demeteramps.com/products/pedals/compro1.html

Anybody tried this one? I was scopin out David Gilmour's rig and this is what he uses. I'm guessin it's pretty amazing. Figured I'd toss it into the conversation.

I have the EHX Soul Preacher, and I just never thought it really did anything for my sound. I ended mostly using it as a little extra boost. I'm sure spendin a couple hundred more bucks would make a difference.

I've checked out some that seemed to be quite a bit better, like the Keeley and Philosopher's Tone. Also, doin alotta research for pedals via youtube, it's hard to get excited about a comp. I generally get sidetracked with some crazy ring mod, delay or od pedal.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I use this. It's a Boss Pro CL-50 Compressor Limiter. You have lots of knobs to play with and it works as a good noise gate. You can use it live as it's not much bigger as a half rackmount than a volume pedal or wah, and it's good for recording. You can use it for different requirements: vocals as well as instrumentation:

CL50.jpg

It was given to me free when I bought a Lexicon MPX 100 from a friend.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    http://www.demeteramps.com/products/pedals/compro1.html

Anybody tried this one? I was scopin out David Gilmour's rig and this is what he uses. I'm guessin it's pretty amazing. Figured I'd toss it into the conversation.

I have the EHX Soul Preacher, and I just never thought it really did anything for my sound. I ended mostly using it as a little extra boost. I'm sure spendin a couple hundred more bucks would make a difference.

I've checked out some that seemed to be quite a bit better, like the Keeley and Philosopher's Tone. Also, doin alotta research for pedals via youtube, it's hard to get excited about a comp. I generally get sidetracked with some crazy ring mod, delay or od pedal.

pretty much everything Demeter makes is excellent.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    I use this. It's a Boss Pro CL-50 Compressor Limiter. You have lots of knobs to play with and it works as a good noise gate. You can use it live as it's not much bigger as a half rackmount than a volume pedal or wah, and it's good for recording. You can use it for different requirements: vocals as well as instrumentation:

CL50.jpg

It was given to me free when I bought a Lexicon MPX 100 from a friend.

Cool, I've never encountered one of these FPC.