Winter Classic

Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Now I am not a Sidney Crosby hater or a Penguins hater, but I do think it is a little ridiculous that the Pens are in the WC again. Here is my solution to this now.
A) The teams in the Stanley Cup Finals Play in the WC with the winner having home ice.
B) The All Star game is played outside.
Any thoughts?
96 Randall's Island II
98 CAA
00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
09 Phillie III
10 MSG II
13 Wrigley Field
16 Phillie II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    They are looking for big rivalries for this game so the cup winner idea really wouldn't fly

Last year at the flyers and bruins were an original 6 matchup which is considered an unwritten rivalry

Outdoors is cool but as evidenced today is way to unpredictable for hockey

I do hate the pens but this is only their 2nd trip ...it's gonna be that way w/ Crosby

All that being said the rangers are on so I will be missing a good chunk of the game :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Original six matchup....eitheer you are confused, or your post is confusing
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    yeah the Detroit vs Chicago was and original 6 match up.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • TT98TT98 Posts: 135
    Its all about ratings, just cant wait for a Toronto vs Montreal one
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    The Stanley Cup idea would never work. What are you going to do if LA plays Carolina or Phoenix plays Tampa Bay one year, play water polo?
  • Flyers were not an original 6. The game has to be marketable, i.e. big markets/superstars, and a cold weather location. NHL really can't go wrong having the game in the Midwest (Chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit), Northeast (Philly, Boston, NY), and/or Canada (anywhere).
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Brainfeeeze..meant wings hawks
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,828
    getting ready to watch the game now. Kinda rooting for The Caps since The Flyers need the help :lol:

Montreal vs Toronto would be sweet. or Rangers and someone maybe, (Flyers?)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Now I am not a Sidney Crosby hater or a Penguins hater, but I do think it is a little ridiculous that the Pens are in the WC again. Here is my solution to this now.
    A) The teams in the Stanley Cup Finals Play in the WC with the winner having home ice.
    Any thoughts?

You do realize that Tampa Bay, Carolina and Anaheim have all won the cup, don't think the winter classic would go over well in those cities. This years winter classic is fine, 2 of the most exciting players in the game, makes sense. I think they will have to consider Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto in the future.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    up next, the summer classic, where two really bad baseball teams face off in a hockey stadium
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    81 wrote:
    up next, the summer classic, where two really bad baseball teams face off in a hockey stadium

see, now that's something i'd want to watch! :thumbup: :lol::lol:
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    getting ready to watch the game now. Kinda rooting for The Caps since The Flyers need the help :lol:

Montreal vs Toronto would be sweet. or Rangers and someone maybe, (Flyers?)
    rangers vs islanders at citi field in 2013 :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

see, now that's something i'd want to watch! :thumbup: :lol::lol:

it sounds good on paper until you realize the pirates will be playing the cubs. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    Ok the SC finals would not be good. I still think that it is horseshit that the Pens played in it twice. I know he is a good player but it is a little too much him getting shoved down our throats.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    At least they are doing a Heritage Classic in Calgary this year against the Habs.

And I am a Crosby hater, the broadcasters / analysts seriously need to stop talking about him in every game. During intermission for a Canucks game they were talking about his damn mustache. Who cares!?!
    I'd rather the sports world talk Crosby up, then talk up that no good Mike Vick, at least Crosby has some accomplishments and was not involved in any federal crimes. Sorry I hear more about Vick than I do Crosby, and no I'm not a Penguins fan, but I do appreciate how good Crosby is.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• BLACK35BLACK35 Posts: 22,692
    Turcotte98 wrote:
    Its all about ratings, just cant wait for a Toronto vs Montreal one

Bingo. If they could do it some where in Canada that will hold 150000 people.....can we say SOLD OUT with a new record attendance set :D

Of course the Leafs would win :D
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
    BLACK35 wrote:
    Of course the Leafs would win :D

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • gearboygearboy Posts: 349
    I like the all star game idea, but I'd like to see them play in the cowboy's new stadium. under the huge screen- now that would be awesome!
    IT'S NO CRIME TO ESCAPE!!!!!!!!!
    03/22/94, 01/14/95, 09/24/96, 08/25/98, 08/26/98, 08/31/98, 09/01/98, 09/22/98, 09/23/98, 08/09/00, 08/10/00, 08/12/00, 08/20/00, 08/21/00, 04/11/03, 04/13/03, 07/08/03, 07/09/03, 09/28/04, 09/29/04, 10/06/04, 10/08/04, 09/28/05, 05/20/06, 05/03/10, 05/04/10, 05/10/10
  • All about ratings...

People keep talking about it being in NY next year which makes a lot of sense, but who do they play (without having another repeat)? I've seen Rangers/Kings thrown around, and that would be good for TV, and two good teams to watch. The only thing is are you going to get many Kings fans there.

The games in the past have all had visiting teams that were in driving distance, so that balanced the crowd out a bit.

And I get people being tired of Crosby and the Pens playing another one of these, but based on the early ratings, this has been the highest rated one yet. And I love the night game instead of the day.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • The NHL should definitely change this to a night game from now on. Pretty cool to see hockey played outdoors under the lights.
  • kasedougkasedoug Posts: 2,935
    I agree with keeping it in prime-time. I was just reading a post about the overnight ratings and even with pushing the start time on short notice, the game still did really well on a day that's always been reserved for college football.
    The game will always have an east coast bias due to weather and ability to stage the game. In three years, the game has become the center piece of the NHL schedule, a spectacle greater than the All-Star Game and on par ratings wise with the Finals.
    As much as I wouldn't want to see another repeated team so soon, and as much as I detest Detroit, they may be a host in the near future. I think the Winter Classic will always be staged in the US, with 24 of 30 teams here, and as they'll also be hosting the Heritage Classic in Canada in February this year. Michigan/Michigan St. drew over 100K people to the Big House for a college hockey game so there's definitely a draw there. However, Detroit has already played their biggest rival in the Winter Classic in Chicago. Minnesota could also be a good destination with the popularity of hockey there but the NHL wants to feature their marquee players, teams, and rivalries on their biggest stage in the regular season. New York would be ideal but from what I understand, the venue would be in question. Yankee Stadium signed on long term with the Pinstripe Bowl which wouldn't give the NHL enough lead time to build the rink for a Jan 1 game. Citi Field doesn't have the nostalgia/aura of Yankee Stadium but maybe the new football stadium?
  • A Minnesota game would be very well received there, but not so much on TV... The Wild just don't have the players for a good TV draw.

I've seen Denver tossed around too, and that makes some sense for a Western Conference game... Maybe Kings or Sharks...

Heck, if Stamkos keeps going like he is, and Yzerman keeps improving the franchise there, Tampa Bay could be an entertaining visiting team somewhere.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    What was wrong with the game yesterday??? Seriously there is only so many places this game can be held and if your the NHL knowing you are going to attract even the casual fans you want to showcase your best talent, right now that's Washington, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Chicago, Philadeldelphia, Tampa and LA in the States. Tampa and LA and most likely Washington are out, Detroit? I think they want to host it, but don't see Comerica Park as a viable spot, Michigan Stadium? CBC during the intermission said Philadelphia could host next year. That would be a good choice with Tampa as the opponent, can showcase the second best player Steve Stamkos.

Eventually Pittsburgh should host again, and real soon, Crosby vs. Stamkos that'll be fun.

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,828
    Minnesota I think should get a shot at hosting it. Young team, decent hockey city, right?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Heard Philly vs NYR at the Linc is the favorite at the moment. Also Montreal is being thrown around from what i read.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Any thoughts?

You do realize that Tampa Bay, Carolina and Anaheim have all won the cup, don't think the winter classic would go over well in those cities. This years winter classic is fine, 2 of the most exciting players in the game, makes sense. I think they will have to consider Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto in the future.

I think the NHL wants just American teams playing in the winter classic. if Toronto were to play Montreal it would be called a heritage classic. and also, the game was just crap other than the pens losing and the flyers taking over 1st in the conference