Best movies of 2010?

13»

Comments

• Cliffy6745 wrote:
    tcaporale wrote:
    Did anyone see The King's Speech? I don't quite think it's a movie that I would particularly enjoy but apparently it's very good.
    its incredible

Really want to see it. Was between that and 127 Hours last night and saw 127 Hours because of timing. Definitely looking forward to seeing this.
    thats the last movie nominated that i still need to see

pretty good? i like the past couple movies francos done
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    Sorry for not quoting, on my phone. Yeah, I thought it was really good, I just had crazy high expectations, so it didn't blow me away but I definitely enjoyed it. Also the whole arm thing is not as graphic as it is made about to be, which is not a bad thing.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    Saw 'The King's Speech' - it ain't no Winter's Bone. ;)
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Sorry for not quoting, on my phone. Yeah, I thought it was really good, I just had crazy high expectations, so it didn't blow me away but I definitely enjoyed it. Also the whole arm thing is not as graphic as it is made about to be, which is not a bad thing.
    decided to cheat and download it... lots of nice DVD quality copies out there during awards season :twisted:

good movie... really made me feel anxious

amazing story

• Saw 'The King's Speech' - it ain't no Winter's Bone. ;)
    inspiring, feel good movie > white trash version of "precious"

To each their own. And it was a joke.

King's Speech is nothing like Precious.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228

I liked Winter's Bone a lot more then the Kings Speech too.

The King's Speech was a good movie. It certaintly has some great acting and was well directed, but I enjoyed the story of Winter's Bone a lot more from an entertainment perspective.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    despicable me is a way better movie than toy story 3 ... there i said it ... :P
    intodeep wrote:

I liked Winter's Bone a lot more then the Kings Speech too.

The King's Speech was a good movie. It certaintly has some great acting and was well directed, but I enjoyed the story of Winter's Bone a lot more from an entertainment perspective.

Exactly. Thought Rush was better than Firth, and the cinematogprahy I think was the best part, followed by the dialogue between the two back and forth. But, overall, I thought Winter's Bone was better. Next up this week are Black Swan and True Grit for me.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734

haha, fantastic. Well played.
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    polaris_x wrote:
    My kids agree...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • polaris_x wrote:

How To Train Your Dragon is better than them all!!!

Okay maybe not, but I have a hard time thinking that anyone over the age of five could think Despicable Me was better than Toy Story 3.

According to my almost 4 year old: How To Train Your Dragon(barely)>Toy Story 3>Despicable Me
  • polaris_x wrote:

Okay maybe not, but I have a hard time thinking that anyone over the age of five could think Despicable Me was better than Toy Story 3.

According to my almost 4 year old: How To Train Your Dragon(barely)>Toy Story 3>Despicable Me
    i think the poignancy of TS3 is in growing up with the series
    that ending wouldn't mean anything to me if i hadn't
    hopefully today's kids can keep going back to those movies as they get older and get something new out of them

i was surprised by how good "how to train your dragon" was though... those misfit to hero stories are always good for the kids to see

• As for the original topic, I haven't seen nearly as many movies as I would have liked, especially some of the ones "critics" raved about. But as far as what I did see, I'm going:

The Social Network
    Inception
    Scott Pilgrim vs The World
    Toy Story 3
    Kick-Ass
  • I honestly can't believe people actually liked Scott Pilgrim... no offence to any of you... we saw it in the cinema and it's the first time EVER I wanted to walk out from about half way through... I was just getting angrier and angrier and now Michael Cera really pisses me off :evil: :mrgreen: It was horrible, horrible film!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • I honestly can't believe people actually liked Scott Pilgrim... no offence to any of you... we saw it in the cinema and it's the first time EVER I wanted to walk out from about half way through... I was just getting angrier and angrier and now Michael Cera really pisses me off :evil: :mrgreen: It was horrible, horrible film!

Agree with you. 100% garbage from start to finish. By far the worst film I have ever paid to see in the cinema and I have watched some crap. Wanted to leave after 20 mins but stayed 'til the end. It will be a cult classic though and will have a continous dvd following i'm afraid.

how to train your dragon had only 1 thing going for it ... the dragon ... and don't get me wrong that fire breather stole the show as far as i'm concerned ...

TS3 was good but the difference is this: in movies like this - we all know the ending is gonna be good ... otherwise kids would be scarred for years and parents would be pissed ... haha ... so, ultimately - did i feel any tension when we reached a potential climax in TS3 - not really ... but when dude shows up and he misses the recital ... it was a kick to the junk! ... haha
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    I honestly can't believe people actually liked Scott Pilgrim... no offence to any of you... we saw it in the cinema and it's the first time EVER I wanted to walk out from about half way through... I was just getting angrier and angrier and now Michael Cera really pisses me off :evil: :mrgreen: It was horrible, horrible film!

Agree with you. 100% garbage from start to finish. By far the worst film I have ever paid to see in the cinema and I have watched some crap. Wanted to leave after 20 mins but stayed 'til the end. It will be a cult classic though and will have a continous dvd following i'm afraid.
    To be honest, I don't understand the hate. I loved all of the visual effects and flourishes, and I just thought it was a fun movie from beginning to end.
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    ++++1 :D
    I honestly can't believe people actually liked Scott Pilgrim... no offence to any of you... we saw it in the cinema and it's the first time EVER I wanted to walk out from about half way through... I was just getting angrier and angrier and now Michael Cera really pisses me off :evil: :mrgreen: It was horrible, horrible film!
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Due Date
    was hilarious IMO

I love Michael Cera
    but I haven't seen Scott Pilgrim
    Films based off comic books really annoy me most of the time
  • I have a question for those who are bashing Scott Pilgrim. Did you have any idea what the movie was about or what to expect before seeing it? The only reason I ask is because they completely NAILED it in terms of trying to compress the source material into a single movie.

I know that normally isn't required before seeing a movie, but this was a very niche film and for what it was based on they hit it out of the park.
    I have a question for those who are bashing Scott Pilgrim. Did you have any idea what the movie was about or what to expect before seeing it? The only reason I ask is because they completely NAILED it in terms of trying to compress the source material into a single movie.

I know that normally isn't required before seeing a movie, but this was a very niche film and for what it was based on they hit it out of the park.

yeah ... kill bill was a similar movie where i think many people didn't quite get it ...

finally saw kings speech last nite ... fantastic - better than i expected, great performances ... a character piece for sure based on a fairly simple story ...
  • I have a question for those who are bashing Scott Pilgrim. Did you have any idea what the movie was about or what to expect before seeing it? The only reason I ask is because they completely NAILED it in terms of trying to compress the source material into a single movie.

The main characters are dull, uninteresting, charasmatic vaccums and I couldn't really care less if some nerd gets to have sex with some cold-hearted prick tease whos had more abortions then he's had hot meals. No chemistry between them at all and why you would go through 7 fights just to even date her? She's pretty hot but c'mon :roll:

Trying to fit 7 fights into 90 / 120 mins well it gets a little tedious to be honest. Its like a round of street fighter that has been stretched to fit a feature length presentation. Yes I get all the little nods and soundbites to all the compouter games and martial art films etc but you need a thing called, 'story', 'characters you relate to' (sorry i'm not a virgin or a slag so...), 'a sense of conflict and struggle'. The film has little of these at least in anything of an interesting capacity. If you can't stand your protagonist then you really are in trouble and you need to go back to the script.

What does our main character Scott learn at the end? I'm not sure? Does he? Probably not or maybe next time he wants to date someone he asks her for her ex's addresses so he can go beat them up.

Knives (dumb name) is SO MUCH better suited to Scott's personality, Ramona will just end up dumping scott after a week to go out with some bastard built like a tank with a mohawk and end up getting busted for drugs or something. Their relationship is just not believable on any level, it doesn't have to be a massivly deep connection or anything because it is just a silly film but MAKE AN EFFORT!!

I've made the point already but i'm gonna say it again Ramona is dull and boring if you are gonna agree to take on 7 fights just to hold her hand at the end (wtf) then your pretty desperate to be honest. He ditched a girl who adores him has more in common but he ditched her for some lifeless tart. AND what about the scene where they get into bed with each other and it looks like they are gonna have sex, she's been leading him on all the way and she just turns round and says 'nah, not tonight I dont want to' WTF!!!!!!!!!!! Its not like she isn't ready or the relationship is moving to fast or I have a headache she just does that because she can tease him like that. She did that to me i'd kick her out side and wouldn't even bother to call a taxi.

Dickhead.

There are some good points to the film, it is a cult classic but it's increbilary 2 dimensional characters and story. I can see why people enjoyed it so much and I did love the references but I need more then a 2 hour trip down my childhood.

They should have reduced the number of ex's but with each one there should have been different circumstances into which they broke up and Scott could learn something different about her each time, relate to it and it helps bring them closer together. THATS what it should have been like. Decent premise ruined by poor script and characterisation but maybe thats down to the source material. Making sure everything from the comics is in the film is not necessarily a good idea (Watchmen, Lord of the Rings?)

If anyone wants to know why I hated Zombieland you can pretty much just copy and paste this text. Pretty much the same problems in both films.
  • polaris_x wrote:
    I have a question for those who are bashing Scott Pilgrim. Did you have any idea what the movie was about or what to expect before seeing it? The only reason I ask is because they completely NAILED it in terms of trying to compress the source material into a single movie.

yeah ... kill bill was a similar movie where i think many people didn't quite get it ...

finally saw kings speech last nite ... fantastic - better than i expected, great performances ... a character piece for sure based on a fairly simple story ...

I got Kill Bill just fine the problem was it was only 1 film worth of material stretched over two films.

Kings Speech is excellent :thumbup:
    I got Kill Bill just fine the problem was it was only 1 film worth of material stretched over two films.

Kings Speech is excellent :thumbup:

i would disagree on kill bill and your assessment of scott pilgrim ... at the end of the day - it didn't work for you which is fine ... i thought it was clever and original ...
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I liked Scott Pilgram vs the world.

Sure there is no need for it to win any oscars or anything but i thought it was a fun film.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • polaris_x wrote:

I LOVE the kill bill films... but I agree with Digital Twilight on all the reasons he didn't like Scott Pilgrim. I really didn't care if they got together... in fact, I was hoping all the characters would simply DIE :D It really made me angry. But the other half thought it was really good since he's into the genre. I can't stand video games or anything to do with them. BUT I tend to love comic films... loved watchmen, dark knight, iron mans, spiderman... usually find them really fun, switch off films. But THIS... even thinking about it now is making me angry :evil: :mrgreen:

The only good thing about it was that I realised I like the name Ramona!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you