Need a good Meatball Recipe....

acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I Love meatballs and I love to cook. I am looking for one that stands out. Not just Meat with onions and peppers.....BORING.
Anyone have anything to share??
OH.....I also make my own Tomato Sauce but for some its to thin. Do ya have one of those as well?? :)
Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
Sweep the Leg Johnny.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i dont think there's a perfect meatball recipe but I always use at least 50% ground pork - more fat, more flavor. And i just sear mine off in a pan to brown them and then cook them through directly in the sauce.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • i dont think there's a perfect meatball recipe but I always use at least 50% ground pork - more fat, more flavor. And i just sear mine off in a pan to brown them and then cook them through directly in the sauce.
    So ground pork and ground beef? Onions, Peppers, Garlic etc....?? Bread crumbs?
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • supposedly (from cookbooks and cooking TV shows) the perfec meatball is a combo of 3 ingredients:0 ground beef, sausage and I think the 3rd is veal.
  • supposedly (from cookbooks and cooking TV shows) the perfec meatball is a combo of 3 ingredients:0 ground beef, sausage and I think the 3rd is veal.
    I have always loved your name in here BTW..... :clap::D
    I thought that also but he is saying pork also.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    The key to making a good sauce is the tomatoes. Make sure you have cans of good quality Italian tomatoes. If you can get San Marzano tomatoes they are the best. Cheap tomatoes tend to be watery and may be giving you the "thin" sauce you mentioned.
    For the meatballs, i would use 75% ground pork and 25% ground beef. If you want to spend extra money you could add ground veal, but i would save that for a special occasion. The amounts will vary depending on how many you are making but you will need eggs, breadcrumbs, garlic, parsley and parmesan.
    Definitely brown off the meatballs in oil and then drop in the sauce and simmer for 2 hours to allow the meat flavor to absorb into your sauce.
    yes, most chefs recommend veal as well...I just dont notice the difference, plus I try not to eat veal. And I also recommend making sure that both onions and peppers are cooked through first and diced very finely. I like to season the meat with a little thyme and oregano also and use bread crumbs sparingly as they should only serve as a binder (and an egg yolk is optional as well). Let us know how the next batch turns out!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    My husband made this a couple months ago - a lot of work, but worth it. It made a ton and we froze a bunch. Oh my God, I just cut and pasted this and it's super long - sorry. Maybe you can invite my husband over and he'll make it for you.

Spaghetti And Meatballs
    Gourmet | January 2009
    by Maggie Ruggiero

A heaping platter of spaghetti and meatballs evokes a feeling of comfort—perfect for a family
    get-together. The stars of this dish are the meatballs, of course, and they don't disappoint—lots of garlic
    and Parmigiano-Reggiano give them a robust flavor that stands up to the hearty tomato sauce.
    Yield: Makes 12 to 16 servings

Active Time: 2 hr
    Total Time: 3 hr

For tomato sauce:
    6 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes in juice (preferably San Marzano)
    2 medium onions, chopped
    1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    For meatballs:
    2 medium onions, finely chopped
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    10 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    3 cups torn day-old Italian bread
    3 cups whole milk
    6 large eggs
    2 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (1/4 pound)
    1/3 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
    1/4 cup finely chopped oregano or 1 teaspoon dried, crumbled
    1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
    1 1/2 pounds ground veal
    1 1/2 pounds ground pork
    1 1/2 pounds ground beef (not lean)
    1 cup olive or vegetable oil

For pasta:
    2 pounds dried spaghetti
    Accompaniment: grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
    Equipment: a 12-to 16-quart nonreactive heavy pot or 2 smaller nonreactive pots; a 6-to 8-quart pasta
    pot with a pasta/steamer insert for cooking spaghetti in 2 batches.

Make sauce:
    Drain tomatoes, reserving juice in a large bowl. Crush tomatoes with your hands and add to juice.
    Cook onions in oil in pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add
    garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes with their juice, 4
    teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Simmer sauce, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly
    thickened, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Season with salt.

Make meatballs while sauce simmers:
    Cook onions in extra-virgin olive oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally,
    until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3
    minutes. Transfer to a large bowl to cool.
    Soak bread in milk in another bowl until soft, about 5 minutes. Firmly squeeze bread to remove excess
    milk, discarding milk.
    Stir together cooled onion mixture, bread, eggs, parmesan, parsley, oregano, lemon zest, 51/2 teaspoon
    salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoon pepper until combined. Add meats to bread mixture, gently mixing with your
    hands until just combined (do not overmix).
    Form meat mixture into about 70 (1 1/2-inch) balls with dampened hands, arranging meatballs on 2
    large baking sheets or in shallow baking pans.
    Heat olive or vegetable oil (1 cup) in a 12-inch heavy skillet (preferably nonstick) over medium-high heat
    until hot but not smoking, then brown meatballs in 4 or 5 batches (without crowding), turning
    frequently, about 5 minutes per batch. Return to baking sheets.
    Add meatballs to sauce and gently simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, 20 to 30
    minutes. (If pot is not large enough, divide meatballs and sauce between 2 pots.)

Prepare pasta:
    Cook spaghetti in 2 batches in pasta insert in boiling salted water (3 tablespoon salt for 6 qt water) until
    just al dente, draining and tossing each batch with some of sauce in a large serving dish.
    Serve with meatballs, remaining sauce, and grated cheese.

Cooks' notes:
    •Meatballs can be made and simmered in sauce 5 days ahead and chilled (covered once cool).
    •Meatballs with sauce can be frozen in an airtight container or heavy-duty sealable bags up to 3
    months.◊
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Check Mario batAlis recipe. He soaks the bread crumbs in milk before he mixes them with the meat
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Or you could just order out.

Works for me... but then I don't eat meat, regardless of whether it's shaped into balls or some other geometric figure.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Check Mario batAlis recipe. He soaks the bread crumbs in milk before he mixes them with the meat

This method is especially good for a meat loaf... and you can use bread instead of bread crumbs as well.

Or you could just order out.

Works for me... but then I don't eat meat, regardless of whether it's shaped into balls or some other geometric figure.

http://www.food.com/recipe/spaghetti-tofu-meatballs-130975
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    You can also replace the bread crumbs, and use oatmeal.

Here's a SNL clip for some Schweddy Balls :lol:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXSyzeVWueI

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad