Do what your doctor says!

Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm so sick of people who go to the hospital and are told by the doctor to stop smoking and drinking or you will be back in the ER in a few months and don't take his advice. My father in law has had 3 strokes in the last 5 months. The doctor told him to change his ways (drinking & smoking) but he dosent, so he ends up in the hospital with strokes. It's starting to REALLY piss me off. He calls in the middle of the night yelling help me help me, my wife has to take time off work to deal with him and has to take time off from me and my boys to deal with someone who dosent value his own life and has no respect for others. The first thing he does when he leaves the hospital is light up a smoke. At this point I hope he crokes(ms?) it's fucking ridiculous. Why should anybody else care when he dosent. When you have had 3 strokes in five months you would think someone would "get right". Sorry. Just had to rant. Anybody else have family members like that?
I'll be back
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Im starting to eat vegetables (i'm 36) so far i'm not impressed. but the Doc said so, so i'll try.
  • woah! 3 strokes in the last 5 months? :o that's awful, he's lucky he's alive. my uncle had one stroke and has never recovered - healthy man who was mugged while he was outside, chased the thieves and ended up having a stroke. can't walk, move, bedridden. can't talk either. its been 2 years and he's still like that, breaks my heart because of what's happened to his life, his children, my mother
    sorry, back to the topic.
    sounds like a stubborn old man to me, annoying that he won't learn, and the effect of it on your family especially. very selfish of him to not take the doctors advice, for his own health at least. 3 f***ing strokes? and he still smokes, and drinks. i'd be pissed off too
    some people, just never learn or change.
    I have an old aunt who is diabetic, still doesn't care about her diet, the amount of sugar she has. Depends on other people when she knows that she should be careful. So i understand

Sorry to hear it, hope he changes, if not for himself at least for you and your wife and kids
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    pfft! doctors, what do they know?
  • woah! 3 strokes in the last 5 months? :o that's awful, he's lucky he's alive. my uncle had one stroke and has never recovered - healthy man who was mugged while he was outside, chased the thieves and ended up having a stroke. can't walk, move, bedridden. can't talk either. its been 2 years and he's still like that, breaks my heart because of what's happened to his life, his children, my mother
    sorry, back to the topic.
    sounds like a stubborn old man to me, annoying that he won't learn, and the effect of it on your family especially. very selfish of him to not take the doctors advice, for his own health at least. 3 f***ing strokes? and he still smokes, and drinks. i'd be pissed off too
    some people, just never learn or change.
    I have an old aunt who is diabetic, still doesn't care about her diet, the amount of sugar she has. Depends on other people when she knows that she should be careful. So i understand

Sorry to hear it, hope he changes, if not for himself at least for you and your wife and kids

It's annoying. Just felt like ranting, can't really rant like that to my wife lol.....hope she never gets on here and sees this. Lol. It wouldn't be the worst thread iv ever started...
    I'll be back

• It's annoying. Just felt like ranting, can't really rant like that to my wife lol.....hope she never gets on here and sees this. Lol. It wouldn't be the worst thread iv ever started...

:lol:
    haha ooh now i'm curious as to the other threads that you have started :)
  • norm wrote:
    :lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I don't think you need a doctor to tell you that smoking is bad for you..

That said, doctors are not miracle workers. Often they find themselves guessing, and while one doctor tells you one thing, another may tell you the complete opposite.

Just use common sense.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    My opinion, we should be there for others whatever they choose. We would want that for ourselves.
    We owe that to those we love.
    In a perfect world there would be perfect people without vices.
    In a perfect world we wouldn't judge each other either.
    Please don't wish your wife's father dead...wishes can come true.
    I understand the rant...Its very tough for young people raising children to care for their aging parents...
    been there done that but in the end it is those who give care that reap the rewards.
    Let your wife follow her heart and see her father through these tough times whatever they may bring
    and support her efforts, right or wrong by supporting her father right or wrong.
  • pandora wrote:
    My opinion, we should be there for others whatever they choose. We would want that for ourselves.
    I understand the rant...Its very tough for young people raising children to care for their aging parents...
    been there done that but in the end it is those who give care that reap the rewards.
    Let your wife follow her heart and see her father through these tough times whatever they may bring
    and support her efforts, right or wrong by supporting her father right or wrong.

beautiful words of wisdom, as always Pandora.
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I think that people who don't want to listen to 'doctors orders' want to live very long. There's not much anyone can do about it either. Heartbreaking, yes, but it's their choice.
  • EvoLukinEvoLukin Posts: 188
    pandora wrote:

As always, perfect response. IMO.
    "Smelly Velvet"-EV on Stone's velvet shorts(ATL 94)

Atlanta,GA 1994 1&2
    N.Charleston, SC 1996
    Greenville, SC 1998
    Atlanta, GA 2000
    Columbia, SC 2008
    EV(2009) - Atlanta 1
  • EvoLukin wrote:
    pandora wrote:

As always, perfect response. IMO.
    my sister :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Never let a doctor tell you how to live your life, if he does, hit him around the head with his stethoscope.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Never let a doctor tell you how to live your life, if he does, hit him around the head with his stethoscope.

:D ... sound advice ... I think I could place a wee bet yours as health conscious as uncle Keith in your avatar ... :D
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,707
    Im starting to eat vegetables (i'm 36) so far i'm not impressed. but the Doc said so, so i'll try.
    Try frying them in bacon fat and smothering them in melted cheese.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier wrote:
    Try frying them in bacon fat and smothering them in melted cheese.

isn't that how you're supposed to eat them? :? ;)
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    norm wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lge2_H_8IQ
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    LukinFan wrote:
    norm wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lge2_H_8IQ

:mrgreen:

love that movie!
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Yes, we have a choice. Thou mayest / timshel. But that doesn't mean we can't see and understand the situation and the correct and righteous choice to be made. I think he probably knows what that choice is, but his ego/addiction is preventing him from acting upon that choice.

As a loved one you have to communicate how you feel and make RATIONAL statements about what he is doing and how those actions affect people around him. He may be helpless to make the choice on his own.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Damn dude...

I can get behind your frustration, but I think it might be safe to just accept the fact that some people never learn... I've had to come to the same realization about my siblings-in-law, and long time friend.

Some people are just bound to make the same mistakes, I guess.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    I don't think you need a doctor to tell you that smoking is bad for you..

That said, doctors are not miracle workers. Often they find themselves guessing, and while one doctor tells you one thing, another may tell you the complete opposite.

Just use common sense.

And in this case, common sense should've been a no brainer a long time ago. Unfortunately, common sense is a misleading term as it is far from being common.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • stargirl69 wrote:
    Never let a doctor tell you how to live your life, if he does, hit him around the head with his stethoscope.

:D ... sound advice ... I think I could place a wee bet yours as health conscious as uncle Keith in your avatar ... :D

I haven't exercised since last summer.
    I eat too much fried food and my cholesterol was a bit above the acceptable mark when I had it checked early this year.
    I binge drink and am a social smoker.
    Need to wisen up.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    stargirl69 wrote:

I haven't exercised since last summer.
    I eat too much fried food and my cholesterol was a bit above the acceptable mark when I had it checked early this year.
    I binge drink and am a social smoker.
    Need to wisen up.

Aye. I drink pretty regularly, smoke pot even more so, and have way too little physical activity.

Sooner or later I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just get back into working out and the gym. In the meantime, I'll just settle for occasional basketball and racquetball games with friends.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL