Dating thru Facebook?

MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Posts: 1,188
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Ok so I've got myself into a kinda weird situation. I was just casually browsing through some friends' profiles last week when I stumbled upon this girl I didn't know. At that point in time it didn't seem like much, but a few days later, it suddenly dawned on me that I just have to know her, don't ask me why.

She's single and she's got this really great smile that just kills me. The problem is that we are total opposites in terms of music/film taste. I've never engaged in this sorta thing before, so I'm not sure how to go about initiating this.

Would any kind soul care to enlighten me on how to approach this? Appreciate it!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    If she's a friend of a friend, get your friend to introduce you to her through normal means, do not friend request her, facebook is not for dating and she will be probably be creeped out because of the internet thing though dating through the internet is a norm now, but not through facebook I believe. But really try to avoid connecting through the internet if at all possible, nobody likes to say they met through the internet, even people that do.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    KevDylan wrote:
    The problem is that we are total opposites in terms of music/film taste.
    this would be a deal breaker for me. Music is such an important part in my life, we would both have to love the same type of music. I've tried dating someone awhile back that was more into top 40 music than what I'm into, and it was just strange.

What ever you decide - good luck!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I agree about getting the mutual friend to introduce you.

I don't know what to say about opposite music. I'm lucky my husband puts up with me (I was not a pj fan when he met me, I became one six years later.) I like alot of different kinds of music, but he was raised listening to the kind I do NOT care for! He seems very flexible and loves pj since he's been to all of the concerts with me.

so maybe if you two meet, she could maybe end up liking pj?

maybe you'll marry and have 3 kids :D
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • i did something like this my freshman year of college via fb... hot chick, relatively little in common, met through one of those fb group pages people used to do... anyway... just started talking on the group page, then on walls, then on AIM... she was/is an egomaniac (and probably a maniac maniac as well) and I'm more passive... especially with attractive people... so it worked for awhile... got me through that awkward transition into college and then we just went our separate ways (she dumped me)... until she dated my roommate a year later... :?

moral of the story... ya never know what you're getting with facebook... if you dont really care what you're getting as long as you get laid, then just be as forthcoming as possible... theres no "non-creepy" way of breaking the ice with facebook... she might be flattered if you just put it out there honestly... or she might not

maybe have your mutual friend set up a situation in which talking with her would be more natural? :|
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    iluvcats wrote:

I don't know what to say about opposite music. I'm lucky my husband puts up with me (I was not a pj fan when he met me, I became one six years later.) I like alot of different kinds of music, but he was raised listening to the kind I do NOT care for! He seems very flexible and loves pj since he's been to all of the concerts with me.

I think it's really cool introducing someone you're dating to a new kind of music and it sounds like it worked for you. Sometimes having everything in common can be boring.
    marcos wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

I think it's really cool introducing someone you're dating to a new kind of music and it sounds like it worked for you. Sometimes having everything in common can be boring.

yes. and my husband liked GNR when I first met him, I was grossed out, and I ended up liking them.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Thanks for the insight! I guess the mutual friend thing helps a bit. Her current temp job is working at Ben & Jerry's, so i'll probably head down there soon.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    iluvcats wrote:

yes. and my husband liked GNR when I first met him, I was grossed out, and I ended up liking them.
    :?: why would GNR gross you out??? :lol:
    i was thinking he liked gangsta rap!! that would gross me out.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Lizard wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

I guess I was different back then?

did they even have gangsta rap in 1991, that's when i met him. in 1992, he asked me to go see GNR with him and I said no way! I suggested his brother. Then I started watching GNR videos and I liked them.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Dating through Facebook. Really, you can't lose.

If it goes really, really well: You're the subject of a movie on the Hallmark Channel, starring Dean Cain and Valerie Bertanelli.

If it goes really, really badly: You could be on "Cops."
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Dating through Facebook. Really, you can't lose.

If it goes really, really well: You're the subject of a movie on the Hallmark Channel, starring Dean Cain and Valerie Bertanelli.

If it goes really, really badly: You could be on "Cops."

:lol::lol::lol:
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    iluvcats wrote:
    Lizard wrote:
    iluvcats wrote:

I guess I was different back then?

did they even have gangsta rap in 1991, that's when i met him. in 1992, he asked me to go see GNR with him and I said no way! I suggested his brother. Then I started watching GNR videos and I liked them.

i wonder how your like of.. GnR wouldve developed if you had to wait hours for his majesty to arrive at the gig. i love GnR but the thought that axl would keep me waiting is just unacceptable. and shows an absolute disrespect for his fans.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say