The Kings Speech

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I got chills while watching the trailer for this, for the simple reason that Colin Firth's voice was so transformed in this performance. It was incredible.

Just got back from seeing the entire film, the Kings Speech and it delivers. I absolutely love performances and movies like this one, in fact a movie like this is precisely why I am a movie buff. Colin Firth embodies King George in this, and his voice and his mannerism, the stutter, its stunning. His performance reminded me of Deniro in Awakenings where Deniro played a guy who had trouble walking and I think speaking.

Firth gives a stunning performance and in my view the oscars of the year, will be, Portman best actress, Firth Best actor, Bale best supporting actor, and if the oscars were fair they'd give best picture to toy story 3, if that doesnt happen i'd say best picture was black swan
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I get chills when i see new threads from you. :mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I am yet to see it, but I understand Geoffry Rush is amazing in it also...

There is an Actress here in Australia who has been nominated for a Golden Globe and has won a few awards including Australian Film industry, and a few ones over in the U.S. THe movie is called Animal Kingdom and it is pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5BsYRmMfus

It's getting hype here in Aust because it has got a bit of hype in U.S...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • that movie, the animal kingdom looks interesting. Im a sundance film fanatic, I will read about the films that are shown during the festival and then will have to wait a year, sometimes several years for the films i read about, to hit theaters. i had never heard of that film even though its a sundance film, until you mentioned it. it will be on my must see list now... cool
  • Believe the hype on this one.

Just returned from seeing this and it is a very warm, touching but also really funny piece of work. Much has been said about Colin Firth in this film and he deserves all the praise he's getting but a lot must also be said for Geoffery Rush who plays his speech therapist.

The film central heart is the breaking of social walls between a member of the royal family and a 'colonial commoner' in an effort to resolve the future King's speech impediment that has plagued his life. Bertie (King George, Colin Firth) has to overcome his fear and impediment by dealing with his bullied past from his family and nannies and step out of his brother's and father's shadow to become something that he wants the least in the world which is to become King and a public speaker. Right from the start the audience is with Bertie as he makes his first public speech and he just can't do it and it's really easy to sympathise with the gripping fear plastered all over his face.

Both Firth and Rush are genuinely likeable and both put in a fantastic performance and I would find it hard to believe anyone could watch this and not be emotionally engaged by their developing relationship. There are many gags in this film as well as drama (which at one point brought me to tears) but rather then feeling like they were 'scripted' jokes they feel they have arrived naturally through the nature of their proffesional, status and friendship. There are more laughs in this film then most of these so called 'comedies' these days however it is isn't a comedy by nature but a gripping character melodrama and touching story about become you loath and fear for the sake of your country.

Sorry for the long winded text, just whats rolling of the keyboard.

Next up: Swan Lake :D
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I liked this and it was well done, but it did not blow me away as it has others. I thought the acting, script, and flow were all very good. The story was well enough but i would not say this is a must see movie.

it reminded me of Atonement. Both are very good movies and i can't fault them for anything other then I did not enjoy them as much as many others did. If i made a list of my top 5 best movies of the year i am fairly sure this one not sniff it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Just saw it tonight. I thought it was great.

Both Firth and Rush were great. Would not be surprised if they both took home golden men.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • intodeep wrote:
    it reminded me of Atonement. Both are very good movies and i can't fault them for anything other then I did not enjoy them as much as many others did. If i made a list of my top 5 best movies of the year i am fairly sure this one not sniff it.
    atonement sucked. this did not.
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/