Options

PJ Tribute bands playing in the parking lot before concert...

PJLaurPJLaur Posts: 78
edited July 2008 in The Porch
I'm curious of your thoughts on this. While tailgating in Camden, a local PJ Tribute band (5 against one?) was putting on a show in the parking lot. I mean the lead singer had Eddie down pretty good even doing the hand motions, had the RED WINE bottle, the whole bit.

I mean it was a cool idea coming out there and all...but my friend and I were kind of like "Why do I want to watch this tribute band when I'm going to see the real thing in a couple hours?" Maybe seeing them on a night when I was not going to see PJ live perhaps.

Good question. Would you have watched or walked away?

Just curious.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    That's a tough one for me. I am normally on a pretty strict "Pearl Jam Moratorium" about 2 weeks before my first show of a tour. No PJ...NONE! radio, iPod....nothing!

But...of course....I am friends with Tony who sings for No Code. They had a Wishlish Foundation gig at The Cutting Room in NYC 6/24 before MSG1 (they didn't play before MSGII). As a friend, I felt I could let the "moratorium" be lifted for Tony and crew...support them and Wishlist. :) I had a great time, met some cool folks. Pete, the singer from Last Exit, sang a couple songs too. Since I've never seen 5 Against 1, I might have stuck around to check them out...don't know. I was glad there weren't any tributes playing before Hartford and Mansfield, was just jonesing for the real thing the rest of the tour.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    me and a few friends hung out with some of backseat lover, a tribute band from boston, before the second mansfield show and i thought it was awesome just chilling and watching them chill and play some songs while we sang along. to me, that's better than seeing a tribute band (no offense to No Code because they rocked before msg1!) because it's like youre hanging out with some people who happen to know how to play pearl jam songs well. it was the perfect way to spend an hour or so before the show started :)
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    PJLaur wrote:
    I'm curious of your thoughts on this. While tailgating in Camden, a local PJ Tribute band (5 against one?) was putting on a show in the parking lot. I mean the lead singer had Eddie down pretty good even doing the hand motions, had the RED WINE bottle, the whole bit.

I mean it was a cool idea coming out there and all...but my friend and I were kind of like "Why do I want to watch this tribute band when I'm going to see the real thing in a couple hours?" Maybe seeing them on a night when I was not going to see PJ live perhaps.

Good question. Would you have watched or walked away?

Just curious.

I would totally go see them, I loved those guys, besides the fact that "McCready" (Rob) is my very good friend's husband :D
    I had the pleasure of riding with those guys for Camden II and spending the afternoon with them before going in, got to see them perform a couple of songs and I thought they were awesome!

Fish definately has Ed down pretty good, he was great!
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    Whizbang wrote:
    That's a tough one for me. I am normally on a pretty strict "Pearl Jam Moratorium" about 2 weeks before my first show of a tour. No PJ...NONE! radio, iPod....nothing!

But...of course....I am friends with Tony who sings for No Code. They had a Wishlish Foundation gig at The Cutting Room in NYC 6/24 before MSG1 (they didn't play before MSGII). As a friend, I felt I could let the "moratorium" be lifted for Tony and crew...support them and Wishlist. :) I had a great time, met some cool folks. Pete, the singer from Last Exit, sang a couple songs too. Since I've never seen 5 Against 1, I might have stuck around to check them out...don't know. I was glad there weren't any tributes playing before Hartford and Mansfield, was just jonesing for the real thing the rest of the tour.

http://www.myspace.com/5vs1 :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV