Black Swan (movie)

ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,282
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone else see this movie yet?

It is brilliant - Natalie Portman's performance was stunning and Mila Kunis was fantastic as well. It is such a bizzarre, scary, and yet you can't help but get absorbed into the weird world that the movie lays out for the viewers.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• god... sexuality has never been so :shock: :? :twisted: before

i was anxious throughout the whole movie and then felt a bit crazy the rest of the night

not to mention that sexy sex scene :D

GO SEE THIS MOVIE
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Really looking forward to this along with 'True Grit' but neither are released in the UK til the end of Jan :(
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    This was goood. I loved the two sexy scenes :D

oh the movie was a blast too :oops:
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Can't wait to see it - it hasn't made its way up to my area yet
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • such an incredible movie. Ive been a huge fan of natalie since she was in my favorite movie of all time garden state. natalie is unreal in this movie, and for my money the best perfomance by an actress all year. she deserves an oscar. the story was original, had lots of twists and was just brilliant. hell of a film, and a hell of a performance.
  • hell of a performance.
    sure has come a long way from "anakin, you're breaking my heart" :lol:
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    great movie. very existentialist, reminded me of fight club.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • awesome film, visually stunning and well-acted too.

I do however have a couple questions about the ending, but I don't want to be one of those spoily-spoilertons in case people haven't seen it yet...grr... :?
  • Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • arqarq Posts: 8,012
    great movie. very existentialist, reminded me of fight club.

A girl's fight club... With Nathalie and Milla!?! WTF

It must be the best movie ever made!!!
    Damn!!! I'm on my way to the theater!!!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Can't wait to see this. NP is my all-time favorite. She's the best.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,823
    Saw this tonight. Not sure what to make of it. Definitely creepy, wonderful, weird. Natlalie Portman did a good job. Some parts were hard to follow though (least for me anyway), overall it was good.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    The wife and I saw it last weekend and we both thought it was very good. It also reminded me a lot of Fight Club. Very well made. I predict it wins Best Picture at the Academy Awards.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    love the movie as well. saw it the first weekend it came out. it seems people forget she was in the professional (leon) . Everyone thinks star wars was her first movie.
    I miss igotid88
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,412
    we saw this a couple of days ago & really liked it. i can see the comparison to Fight Club...

Portman should win the Oscar for this, in my opinion.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Saw it last night... quite a bit of uncomfortable watching. Not really sure if I rate it or not. I think it was worth watching though for people to make up their own mind, am I the only one who found it incredibly predictable though... but like how it worked itself out. However, I'm sure I've seen a couple of similar films but can't think of what they are.

I can't STAND Natalie Portman, she always really annoys me and seems to depend on the wide eyed school of acting... Black Swan was no exception IMO. Where the film failed for me was that I felt no empathy for the character whatsoever and, given the storyline, surely that is down to the acting? I don't think she did a great job tbh but I'm sure I'll be in the minority there. I just don't get her as an actress and find her one dimensional. As a person she seems really cool and likeable but, on screen, not so much.

I thought Mila Kunis was great and Vincent Cassel did his usual brilliantly smarmy job... I still can't believe he's married to Monica Belluci though :shock:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • love the movie
    very artistic and cool
    i thought Natalie Portman was amazing, love her and her films
  • Saw it last night... quite a bit of uncomfortable watching. Not really sure if I rate it or not. I think it was worth watching though for people to make up their own mind, am I the only one who found it incredibly predictable though... but like how it worked itself out. However, I'm sure I've seen a couple of similar films but can't think of what they are.

I can't STAND Natalie Portman, she always really annoys me and seems to depend on the wide eyed school of acting... Black Swan was no exception IMO. Where the film failed for me was that I felt no empathy for the character whatsoever and, given the storyline, surely that is down to the acting? I don't think she did a great job tbh but I'm sure I'll be in the minority there. I just don't get her as an actress and find her one dimensional. As a person she seems really cool and likeable but, on screen, not so much.

I thought Mila Kunis was great and Vincent Cassel did his usual brilliantly smarmy job... I still can't believe he's married to Monica Belluci though :shock:

I agree with you about Natalie Portman with the exception of this film. I thought she was fantastic and played the role very well. The scene where she phones her mom from the cubilcle in the toilets was very convincing. I think she will pick up an oscar for this performance (whatever that is worth) If you thought about it for 5 mins then yeah you could work out the ending pretty easily but sometimes its the journey not the destination. It was a wonderful pyscological, horror movie about obsession, devotion and paranoia. The transformation scene I thought was amazing and having no previous knowledge or contact with ballet it made me want to applaud along with the audience in the film.

Mila Kunis was my big concern before seeing the movie but I think she pulled the character off well.
  • I agree with you about Natalie Portman with the exception of this film. I thought she was fantastic and played the role very well. The scene where she phones her mom from the cubilcle in the toilets was very convincing. I think she will pick up an oscar for this performance (whatever that is worth) If you thought about it for 5 mins then yeah you could work out the ending pretty easily but sometimes its the journey not the destination. It was a wonderful pyscological, horror movie about obsession, devotion and paranoia. The transformation scene I thought was amazing and having no previous knowledge or contact with ballet it made me want to applaud along with the audience in the film.

Mila Kunis was my big concern before seeing the movie but I think she pulled the character off well.
    I'm not really complaining about the predictability... it just felt like I've seen it a few times before. She will win the oscar judging from what everyone's saying but I haven't seen any of the other performances. I don't think it will go down as a classic or memorable role though... but yes, I guess it was something slightly different and that's always a good thing!

The ending really was beautifully and brilliantly played out though. I thought Mila Kunis was perfect casting!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • I agree with you about Natalie Portman with the exception of this film. I thought she was fantastic and played the role very well. The scene where she phones her mom from the cubilcle in the toilets was very convincing. I think she will pick up an oscar for this performance (whatever that is worth) If you thought about it for 5 mins then yeah you could work out the ending pretty easily but sometimes its the journey not the destination. It was a wonderful pyscological, horror movie about obsession, devotion and paranoia. The transformation scene I thought was amazing and having no previous knowledge or contact with ballet it made me want to applaud along with the audience in the film.

I'm not really complaining about the predictability... it just felt like I've seen it a few times before. She will win the oscar judging from what everyone's saying but I haven't seen any of the other performances. I don't think it will go down as a classic or memorable role though... but yes, I guess it was something slightly different and that's always a good thing!

The ending really was beautifully and brilliantly played out though. I thought Mila Kunis was perfect casting!

I only know Mila from Family Guy and that 70s show so I guess thats why I had my doubts :lol:
  • she really shines and shows herself as the star and great actress she is in black swan, but didnt you all see Leon, or Garden State or V for Vendetta or Closer? She's had some amazing performances these last couple years
  • she really shines and shows herself as the star and great actress she is in black swan, but didnt you all see Leon, or Garden State or V for Vendetta or Closer? She's had some amazing performances these last couple years
    I've seen all of those and only found her bearable in Leon... brilliant brilliant film but it's been downhill from there IMO.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I had no interest in seeing this but my sister and niece went to see it's about all they have spoke about since.It makes me want to go see it now.I like Natalie Portman as an actress.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Mixed feelings. Portman is clearly a good actress, but I used to dance and I don't remember ballet mothers that psycho, nor ballet teachers. Somewhat over the top for the sake of making a strange film. Anyone with any connection to art is well acquainted with how much you can throw yourself into your work and how it can make you crazy but it just left me a little cold. Maybe I need to see it a time or two more. The bloody feet were accurate though.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • PJ212PJ212 Posts: 822
    Every time I get a hang nail now I flip out a little from that one scene. Also, when anyone mentions a nail file.
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1 2021: SHN, Ohana 2 & 3, 2022: LA 1 & 2, PHX, OAK 1 & 2, Fresno, MSG, BNA, B&B, STL, OKC, DEN, 2023: MSP 1 & 2, CHI 1 & 2, DFW 2, AUS 1 & 2, 2024: Vancouver 1 & 2, LV 1 & 2, SEA 1 & 2
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    What was with Winona Ryder? Is it just me or was she just a little too campy?
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Watched it over the weekend...strange flick

I enjoyed it though

My wife had nightmares with all the faces coming to life

:lol:
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Suzi78Suzi78 Posts: 362
    Gotta love Natalie...:)

My favorite Natalie clip (not Black Swan related):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpMPFGBt ... re=related
    How I choose to feel is how I am
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Saw it last weekend....really didn't like it....found it boring....predictable....reminded me a bit of Mulholland Drive actually.

I can't believe this was up for Best Picture and that Natalie Portman won Best Actress....but she did get naked and have her big sex scene etc and that's a sure way to win the hearts of the Academy. I'm not saying her acting performance was bad....it was just....average....and same goes to the movie.

2 out of 5 stars.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    Saw this movie on DVD today. Wow that was really messed up. Did anyone see the comparisons to Charlotte Perkins Gilman's The Yellow Wallpaper?
    1. When her mother's drawing kept coming alive. In The Yellow Wallpaper the wall starts talking to the main character during her decent into madness.
    2. The way Natalie Portman's character was made sleep in her childhood bedroom with all her stuffed animals and ballerina jewelry boxes. In The Yellow Wallpaper they kept her in a nursery.
    I haven't read that story since my first year in college (almost 10 years ago) but those were the comparisons I saw without re-reading.
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years