Digital Camera...Help me out....

SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,468
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
She wants a digital camera for Christmas...
So I am going to get her a digital camera for Christmas.....

Which one do I get her??
I have no clue....
Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• You caved in.....
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Budget?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Budget?
    I dont know....

$200-$300????
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    A Canon Powershot. Any of them are just fine. I've had several of them over the years and I've been very happy with them.
  • Kodak EasyShare

Canon Power Shot

Both in the $200 range, depending on what kind of bells and whistles you want.
    Nice shirt.
  • Panasonic Lumix have always worked well and have some great features. They are highly rated this year.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • cool....

Thanks everyone
  • How about free car washes for the new car ?

• How about free car washes for new car ?

Thats actually not a bad idea.....

Does he have to wear a bikini?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Take me piece by piece.....
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    I'm happy with the Sony Cybershot. Got it last year, 12.1 Megapixels, so it should be down in price to about $100.
  • Im also getting her pajamas....
    CuZ last year I bought her some pajamas....And she opened them up...Laughed her ass off, said they were the most ridiculous pajamas she has ever seen......

But...
    She wears them to bed all the fucking time...
    So They CANT be that ridiculous.....right???

Anyway...Because of her shitty reaction to the pajamas....
    She will be getting new pajamas from me, every Christmas, for the rest of her life!!!!!
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i would go online and check out the reviews of any camera you want to buy ... amazon.com usually has them ... read them as i find they often provide the best insight so you're getting the best bang for your buck ... also, a consideration might be if you guys have an old one - what type of media it uses ... i'm not sure if this is the case with sony anymore but they used to use a proprietary brand of cards which can be a pain if you are traveling and need to get another card ...

I'm sending 81 over

He waxes his legs

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    VoidOfMan wrote:
    I'm happy with the Sony Cybershot. Got it last year, 12.1 Megapixels, so it should be down in price to about $100.

+1
    I have had 2 CyberShots now, the menu is VERY easy to go thru (which is important if this is a first digital camera) I got the second one for my b-day 3 years ago. Currently, I believe you can get a 14 megapixel cybershot for about $200.

Just to let you know how good it is, my SO took the camera on a hike, did a bunch of consecutive shots of Mt. Baker, downloaded them into photoshop, and put them together like a puzzle, and pritned it out on the plotter at work, so we have a panoramic shot of the mountain that is 36"x18" and it looks really cool.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I'm sending 81 over

He waxes his legs

i think you have confused with somebody else.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    we've had a pair of Kodak's. both were solid and took a good picture. i would buy again.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937

Yes, this is the one I have. I really like it, it takes good picts and I find it really easy to use .
  • She wants a digital camera for Christmas...
    So I am going to get her a digital camera for Christmas.....

Which one do I get her??
    I have no clue....

Why not ask here what kind she wants.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    Panasonic Lumix have always worked well and have some great features. They are highly rated this year.
    It records video and audio comparable to a hand held video recorder. Also has a good macro function for food pictures and close ups. An all around great camera.
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    Do you know what she wants in a camera? Is she a fan of digital zoom and wants a lot of Megapixels or is she an optical zoom kind of girl, video function, macros etc are all things to consider.

I don't have any experience with Canon Powershot (I use an ancient Fuji Finepixx S5500 *g*), but only heard good things about it.
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Canon Pwershots are easy to use and have great photo quality. If your wife's a novice at digital photography, don't spend the extra money on one with extras; keep it simple and they are really easy to use.
  • rafierafie Posts: 2,160
    Don't be lured in by the high megapixel cameras. The only time you would need more than 5 MP is if you want to print out the pics poster size (large poster). In my opinion, the most important thing in a digital camera is the optical zoom. The higher the better. My current camera is a Cannon S3 and I love it (I think just over 5 MP with an optical zoom of 12). But, I am not a "point and shoot" kind of photographer and like a lot of options in my camera.
    Still can't believe I met Mike Mccready at the Guggenheim and got a pic with him!!!!!

2010: 9/7/10 - Bilbao
    2012: 26-27/6/12 - Amsterdam ~~ 29/6/12 - Werchter ~~ 4-5/7/12 - Berlin
    2014: 25/6/14 - Vienna ~~ 26/6/14 - Berlin
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    rafie wrote:
    Don't be lured in by the high megapixel cameras. The only time you would need more than 5 MP is if you want to print out the pics poster size (large poster). In my opinion, the most important thing in a digital camera is the optical zoom. The higher the better. My current camera is a Cannon S3 and I love it (I think just over 5 MP with an optical zoom of 12). But, I am not a "point and shoot" kind of photographer and like a lot of options in my camera.

Thank you! I'm not touching anything with less than an optical zoom of 10 and always have discussions with those who use cameras with a gazillion megapixels and digital zoom but an optical zoom of 3. But then again, I'm not the 'point and shoot' kind either. I've been known to talk builders into letting me climb onto their scaffolding or wading fully clothed into Lake Ontario to get a better angle or to wait 10 minutes for a black swan to turn the way I needed it to. My sister hates me when I do that :lol:
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,828
    I have a cannon powershot SD1200 IS. Takes good pics, good battery life. One downfall if you like videoing concerts like me, it isn't too great. Sound is usually bad especially if you are near a speaker and the qualityh is about average. Other than that it's a good camera.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Olympus is a really good brand, but I just upgraded mine not long ago, and instead got a Samsung. It's a point and shoot, I think it's somewhere between $200 - $250 from memory, the model number is HZ30W. I got it online from Best Buy. It's got a great 15 times optical zoom with additional digital zoom, fantastic picture clarity even at the fullest zoom possible, takes video with sound, great quality lense. THis is from the front of the camera - 24mm wide/15times optical zoom, A/S/M full manual mode, HD movie 1280x720p/H.264.

It does have full manual mode, but also has fully auto modes, including scene selection, so you really have to do nothing but point and shoot. Still small and lightweight compared to the 15 times zoom Olympus, yet feels a bit more solid than a lot of the other small cheap digitals.

I'm really really happy with my camera, and would completely recommend it! :)

Oh! Edited to add that battery life is fantastic, and it is chargeable either with the outlet plug or the usb cord for the computer (both supplied). I have a 4GB SDHC card, and am not sure of the capacity in terms of numbers of photos, but I took over 700 on one holiday and didn't need to clear the card. Charging takes a few hours from dead to fully charged, which is no biggie.
  • rafie wrote:

This is very true. Mine is I think 12MP with 15 times Optical zoom.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i would take 81's advice on just about anything like this. also, advice from 81 on other topics is a great thing as well. once he had me jump into a ice cold river; he said it would cure my hangover. i have not had a hangover in 19 years and im a drunken little bastard.

81, says kodak... my next camera will be a kodak. can kodak's go into freezing water or will they shrivel up? ;)
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,707
    How about free car washes for new car ?

Only in January.