The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone read the book? A few friends raved about it, so I was at the Redbox looking for a movie the other day and saw it and decided to rent it. Little did I know it was a foreign film spoken completely in Swedish (i think) :oops: . Thankfully the DVD offered it in English although it felt like I was watching a bad Kung Fu movie with the voices all dubbed over :lol: Was still a pretty good though. Decided to start reading the book now. Just wondering if anyone else had made the niaive mistake i made...
We were but stones your light made us stars
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    david fincher (director of fight club, se7en), is working on an english language adaptation of the book, starring daniel craig (bond), and noomi rapace (lisbeth salander in the sweedish version). should be a good adaptation. i've seen the trilogy and really liked it, however i knew going in that they were in sweedish (thankfully it was subtitled...i cannot stand dubbed movies).
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I read the book and got sucked right into the story very quickly, not surprising since its so popular

Great read, read the 2nd one and am waiting the 3rd one to come out in paperback.

I enjoyed sounding out the Scandanavian cities and town too
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Read the books and saw the movies because my mum said I had to. The books have been hyped to a maximum level here in Scandinavia due to the author's death and all sorts of melodramatic stuff. But oddly enough I enjoyed the movies more than I enjoyed the books, which is a rare feat in my eyes.

Also looking forward to the US adaptations on the movies, but in all honestly the hype and buzz can't get me onboard. There are so many other talented writers (in Scandinavia) in the crime/noir genre that deserves this kind of attention. Especially a fellow Dane called Jussi Adler-Olsen whom I think is on the way with his first English translation.

But a really odd thing is the translation of the titles. The girl with the dragon tattoo is in Scnadinavian countries called 'The girl who played with (the) fire' ... but that's a sidenote.

Happy you lot are getting your eyes open for the Scandianvian cinema nonetheless, eventhough it's subtitled ;)
    Have fun, walk hard and stay alive.
  • AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    Much better with subtitles that the English audio dub...
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    just finished the book, really enjoyed it. liked it better than the movie.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • AzWicker wrote:
    Much better with subtitles that the English audio dub...
    Yea, that's how I would have preferred to watch it, but my wife would have none of it :lol: She kept making "Dances with Wolves" references and guilted me into starting it over (I like Dances with Wolves...she hated it cuz of the subtitles).
    We were but stones your light made us stars