I need some help naming something...

dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I might, just might be able to get my own slot on a community radio station here in SLC. My original volunteer application described my show, if I was given one, to be a free form type of show. Anything goes, anything will be played, and can be played. I don't necessarily want to put any limitations on what to play. I'd also like to make a big part of the show be listener requests or recommendations.

Basically I want a show that will be unpredictable as far as music goes. Of course there will be reoccuring artists, but there will constantly be new stuff, and my playlists would definitely be genre jumping while maintaining a flow to it.

Anybody got any clever ideas for a name for a show along the lines of this? I realize the outline of my show is vague at the moment, but I need to start working on this.

Also, any ideas for some interesting segments to throw in would be great. I was thinking about a "This Day In Music:" or something like that.
7/2/06 - Denver, CO
6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mcgavinjmcgavinj Posts: 311
    I'll be thinking of one for ya...but I wanted to quill in and say nice avatar pic! I'm you're not too distant neighbor to the north. Glad to see there some sorta local PJ love.

good luck with the show
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    JM4830 wrote:
    I'll be thinking of one for ya...but I wanted to quill in and say nice avatar pic! I'm you're not too distant neighbor to the north. Glad to see there some sorta local PJ love.

good luck with the show

I reside in North Salt Lake, so yeah... not too far! Plannin' on heading up to Boise in March to see Drive-By Truckers at The Knitting Factory.

Thanks for chiming in, and if you come up with any ideas, I'd love to hear them!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • The only thing I can think of right now is "Free Note" or some variation of that. It kinda goes with the idea of a free form type of show and the word 'note' would be as in musical note.

I'll try to think of some other ideas today I'm a bit hungover right now as it is. :D

Also, for a segment maybe you could have some sort of Pearl Jam and/or alternative rock and/or <insert bands you like here> trivia game where you basically make it known that you're a PJ expert or whatever and you can have people call in and try to stump you with a trivia question. If they stump you, they get to make a few song requests and have the requests played right away, or something like that, for a prize. My dad used to have his own radio show and he did something quite similar to this idea.

I'll keep thinking though. Good Luck!
    The only thing I can think of right now is "Free Note" or some variation of that. It kinda goes with the idea of a free form type of show and the word 'note' would be as in musical note.

I'll try to think of some other ideas today I'm a bit hungover right now as it is. :D

Also, for a segment maybe you could have some sort of Pearl Jam and/or alternative rock and/or <insert bands you like here> trivia game where you basically make it known that you're a PJ expert or whatever and you can have people call in and try to stump you with a trivia question. If they stump you, they get to make a few song requests and have the requests played right away, or something like that, for a prize. My dad used to have his own radio show and he did something quite similar to this idea.

I'll keep thinking though. Good Luck!

Thanks for the input man. I like that idea! Did your dad find it was well received? Who did he focus his segment on, was it an artist in particular?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Are there going to be bits on the show, or just music? What you should do is just have people come in and do funny voices of celebrities and rock stars. Like you say "Here to introduce the next song is the artist himself, Mr. Elvis Presley!" and then have someone go "Thank ya very much, Mr. DC. Here's a song I did back in 1959."
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,659
    you should only play records

and call it

into the vinyl
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    what time of day is the show?
    morning wake up = some pretty heavy riffs, drums and stuff

example...
    DC. "good morning. DC here kickin ass and takin names
    right now i'm callin my good buddy in western washington
    let's wake his lazy ass up; after all we are 1 hour ahead of this fool :mrgreen:

phone ringing...

chadwick. yeah?
    DC. morning dickhead. what's crappinen?
    chad. uh. nicely done UTAH
    you gonna crank up some Sabbath - Megalomania or what?
    DC. never heard of Sabbath - Megalomania
    chadwick. rule.

CLICK goes the phone

DC. we have apparently lost ole numb nuts
    let's google Sabbath - Megalomania
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN5UW-PXXME
    13 minutes later DC's studio phone rings 27 times

DC. rockin UTAH like a big dog
    hello you're on the air
    chadwick. got any Liberace down there in Amish country?
    DC. that's Mormon country... (interupting DC)
    chadwick. yeah yeah whatever. do Mormons smoke dope on Sunday or just Saturday night?

to be continued...
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • dcfaithful wrote:
    I might, just might be able to get my own slot on a community radio station here in SLC. My original volunteer application described my show, if I was given one, to be a free form type of show. Anything goes, anything will be played, and can be played. I don't necessarily want to put any limitations on what to play. I'd also like to make a big part of the show be listener requests or recommendations.

Basically I want a show that will be unpredictable as far as music goes. Of course there will be reoccuring artists, but there will constantly be new stuff, and my playlists would definitely be genre jumping while maintaining a flow to it.

Anybody got any clever ideas for a name for a show along the lines of this? I realize the outline of my show is vague at the moment, but I need to start working on this.

Also, any ideas for some interesting segments to throw in would be great. I was thinking about a "This Day In Music:" or something like that.

CONGRATS!!! That's awesome and I know you'll doing a great job :-) as far as names go...I'm not very good at names/titles, but I'll try to think of something! My first thoughts on getting a show name is to write a bunch of word that you'd like to describe it and it'll come together...
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
    edited December 2010
    chadwick wrote:
    what time of day is the show?
    morning wake up = some pretty heavy riffs, drums and stuff

example...
    DC. "good morning. DC here kickin ass and takin names
    right now i'm callin my good buddy in western washington
    let's wake his lazy ass up; after all we are 1 hour ahead of this fool :mrgreen:

phone ringing...

chadwick. yeah?
    DC. morning dickhead. what's crappinen?
    chad. uh. nicely done UTAH
    you gonna crank up some Sabbath - Megalomania or what?
    DC. never heard of Sabbath - Megalomania
    chadwick. rule.

CLICK goes the phone

DC. we have apparently lost ole numb nuts
    let's google Sabbath - Megalomania
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN5UW-PXXME
    13 minutes later DC's studio phone rings 27 times

DC. rockin UTAH like a big dog
    hello you're on the air
    chadwick. got any Liberace down there in Amish country?
    DC. that's Mormon country... (interupting DC)
    chadwick. yeah yeah whatever. do Mormons smoke dope on Sunday or just Saturday night?

to be continued...

Damn, that's funny shit! I do know of Megalomania... one of Sabbath's longest and most epic tracks. The end solo is pretty heavy shit.

You can give me your number and I'll prank call you regardless. :twisted:
    Post edited by dcfaithful on
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • you could call it the Intervention Hour.. for those who need a musical intervention.
  • dcfaithful wrote:
    Thanks for the input man. I like that idea! Did your dad find it was well received? Who did he focus his segment on, was it an artist in particular?

His on-air personality was Dr. Rock (this was an oldies station) and the whole premise of the show was to try to stump him with a music trivia question. It wasn't on a particular artist, but focused on the era of 40s 50s and 60s music.

I guess my dad knew the answer most of the time, there were only a handful or less of times he missed it. This was years ago though and he's not on the air anymore but it was well received as far as I know.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    ZOMBIE SEX
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    ZOMBIE SEX

:lol::lol::clap:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    you could call it the Intervention Hour.. for those who need a musical intervention.

That's a cool idea, thanks!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,995
    does the station do webcasts?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • fotdfotd Posts: 514
    Everybody gets laid
    I’ve seen Pearl Jam 25 times, Eddie Vedder 9 times, and Brad once.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    Congrats, Dave!!! That's awesome news, man! Will we be able to stream it?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • maybe this is dumb, but if it includes all forms of music, how about the All Encompassing Trip? I like the "all vinyl hour" or "vinyl track of the day/week" depending how long your show is, and also your idea of the "this day in music history track/album"

All Encompassing Trivia, where you have a question related to today's music history, have someone call in with the answer, and let them request a track from that particular artist/album.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    edited December 2010
    Paul David wrote:
    maybe this is dumb, but if it includes all forms of music, how about the All Encompassing Trip? I like the "all vinyl hour" or "vinyl track of the day/week" depending how long your show is, and also your idea of the "this day in music history track/album"

All Encompassing Trivia, where you have a question related to today's music history, have someone call in with the answer, and let them request a track from that particular artist/album.

I have actually considered The All Encompassing Trip as my show name.
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Congrats, Dave!!! That's awesome news, man! Will we be able to stream it?

Yes sir. Streaming will be available, in the event that I am chosen. You can check out the website now at http://www.utahfm.org.

Hopefully soon I'll be on the programming. I figure that if I've received two responses back from the programming and station manager then I'm being considered? Hope all goes well.

I have to submit a sample playlist. I've put one together but am still reviewing it to see if I want it to be finalized.
    Post edited by dcfaithful on
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:

CONGRATS!!! That's awesome and I know you'll doing a great job :-) as far as names go...I'm not very good at names/titles, but I'll try to think of something! My first thoughts on getting a show name is to write a bunch of word that you'd like to describe it and it'll come together...

Thanks for your kind words Janet! :)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • loadedgunloadedgun Posts: 1,389
    I was thinking 'open mic' or something with open in it. Being open minded to all music and what not.

Utah Musicah
    Baked in Salt lake
    :|
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    'A and E'

Anything and Everything
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Yes sir. Streaming will be available, in the event that I am chosen. You can check out the website now at http://www.utahfm.org.

Hopefully soon I'll be on the programming. I figure that if I've received two responses back from the programming and station manager then I'm being considered? Hope all goes well.

I have to submit a sample playlist. I've put one together but am still reviewing it to see if I want it to be finalized.

that's awesome, man! good vibes to you, my friend!! keep us posted so i can call in & harass you. :D
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Got an email requesting a short, 2-5 minute demo... I don't really have any equipment to record on, but they pointed me in the direction of a USB mic and downloading audacity just to get by for now. USB mics aren't really that expensive that I can see. Obviously there are higher quality ones than others, but does anyone have experience with these?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    mfc2006 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

that's awesome, man! good vibes to you, my friend!! keep us posted so i can call in & harass you. :D

:lol: Deal. Perhaps you can help me wake chad up early in the AM.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i can't wait to listen to the DC show.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Borderless or No Boundaries

segment: Around The World in 80 days ... each day you will highight a different country's biggest music phenomenom ... you can talk a bit about who typically is famous from that country and who's big there now ...

congratulations and good luck ...

edit: maybe Without Borders sounds better ...
  • DaveyGDaveyG Posts: 225
    "Free Form"
    10/23/10, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (24th Bridge School Benefit)
    10/24/10, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (24th Bridge School Benefit)
    07/11/11, Paramount Theater, Oakland, California (Eddie Vedder Solo Show)
    10/22/11, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (Eddie Vedder Solo Show, 25th Bridge School Benefit)
  • JDBJDB Posts: 277
    Open Legs?
    loadedgun wrote:
    I was thinking 'open mic' or something with open in it. Being open minded to all music and what not.

Utah Musicah
    Baked in Salt lake
    :|
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    So I read the whole thread, still holding out hope that you were looking to name... I don't know... a treasured body part? And I had a lot of candidate names for your consideration.

But since you are not talking about that, I offer my heartiest congratulations and wish you the best of luck.

I like "The All Encompassing Trip." But then, I'm biased...
    ;)
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)