Options

Story Verification

mr highmr high Posts: 1
edited April 2008 in The Porch
A friend of mine told me a story that Eddie Vedder and Chris Chelios (Hall of Fame NHLer) were childhood friends in Chicago. They both went on to great careers but they never kept in touch and knew what eachother did. Then.... One day they recognized eachother in a restaurant to then find out that 1 became the lead singer of a rock band and the other was an All-Star NHL defensman.

I find this hard to believe. I can see EV not being a Hockey Fan... but who doesnt know the face of Pearl Jam???

Anyone know the validity to this story???
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,084
    Q: You also are friends with Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder. Is he a big hockey fan?

A: Absolutely not. He went to his first game last year in Vancouver. He's watched a few games on television. He watched me win the Cup in Detroit in 2002 on TV. As we've become good friends, he has started to follow the game a little more, but no, he wasn't a hockey fan. He grew up in Chicago on the North Side and moved to San Diego as a teen. Funny thing is, we grew up surfing in the same place in San Diego and I actually knew Eddie before he was Eddie Vedder the "rock star." It's pretty crazy.

Q: So, you've been friends since you were teenagers?

A: Not exactly. Like 25 years ago, he moved to Seattle and I moved to Moose Jaw, and we never spoke again for more than 10 years. Then, one night, he is out with Dennis Rodman in Chicago at a restaurant, and we're staring at each other, and he says "I know you," and I said, "What's your name?" He says "Eddie," and I say "I think I know you from San Diego." He didn't know me as Chris Chelios the hockey player, and even at the restaurant, I didn't realize he was Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam. I am a Pearl Jam fan, but his hair was different and I never imagined Eddie Vedder being that small. He's probably about 5-foot-4. So, one of the security guards comes up and says, "That's Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam." I was like, "Jesus, now I remember, we worked at the gas station across the street from each other." It was really a crazy situation how we met after all those years of not talking.

that's part of a Q and A that ran with Chelios on ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=amber_david&id=2705498
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,943
    Q: You also are friends with Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder. Is he a big hockey fan?

A: Absolutely not. He went to his first game last year in Vancouver. He's watched a few games on television. He watched me win the Cup in Detroit in 2002 on TV. As we've become good friends, he has started to follow the game a little more, but no, he wasn't a hockey fan. He grew up in Chicago on the North Side and moved to San Diego as a teen. Funny thing is, we grew up surfing in the same place in San Diego and I actually knew Eddie before he was Eddie Vedder the "rock star." It's pretty crazy.

Q: So, you've been friends since you were teenagers?

A: Not exactly. Like 25 years ago, he moved to Seattle and I moved to Moose Jaw, and we never spoke again for more than 10 years. Then, one night, he is out with Dennis Rodman in Chicago at a restaurant, and we're staring at each other, and he says "I know you," and I said, "What's your name?" He says "Eddie," and I say "I think I know you from San Diego." He didn't know me as Chris Chelios the hockey player, and even at the restaurant, I didn't realize he was Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam. I am a Pearl Jam fan, but his hair was different and I never imagined Eddie Vedder being that small. He's probably about 5-foot-4. So, one of the security guards comes up and says, "That's Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam." I was like, "Jesus, now I remember, we worked at the gas station across the street from each other." It was really a crazy situation how we met after all those years of not talking.

that's part of a Q and A that ran with Chelios on ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=amber_david&id=2705498

cool man! i knew eds first game was a canucks game, that was in 05 right?>
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I '24
  • Options
    Ed is a hoops man first and foremost!! why do you think his favorite number is 23?

MJ BABY!!!

hockey is so boring!! (no offense Canadians :D)
  • Options
    dudes getting fouled every second and shooting FREE THROWS is boring. hockey is pure excitement all the time. basketball sucks. (no offense americans:mad:
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I '24
  • Options
    dudes getting fouled every second and shooting FREE THROWS is boring. hockey is pure excitement all the time. basketball sucks. (no offense americans:mad:

ah touche mon a mei !!

and you are right Basketball does suck,nowadays.

(but during the Celtics,Lakers & Bulls days..Hockey never came close!!)
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,084
    ah touche mon a mei !!

that western conference in the nba is pretty good.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Both basketball and hockey are awesome sports. Hockey just has an idiotic commissioner that has run the league into the ground.

Anywho, Chelios' stock just went up. Go Wings!
  • Options
    ah touche mon a mei !!

celtics lakers was in and around when gretzky and the oilers were doing there thing, but still the magic/bird rivalry cant be touched. and the bulls had the 90's on lockdown!!! what a great time that was.....every sunday you could see MJ play..the NBA on NBC!

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/restlesssoulbdp/Pearl%20Jam/edwithrod.jpg
    http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/restlesssoulbdp/Pearl%20Jam/ednmic.jpg

ed and dennis
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Give me the NHL playoffs any day over any other pro sports post-season.
  • Options
    amen to NHL palyoffs!
  • Options
    the magic/bird rivalry cant be touched. and the bulls had the 90's on lockdown!!! what a great time that was.....every sunday you could see MJ play..the NBA on NBC!

you just brought a tear to my eye,ahh the nostalgia!!
  • Options
    swallowedwordsswallowedwords Posts: 1,093
    Ed is a hoops man first and foremost!! why do you think his favorite number is 23?

MJ BABY!!!

hockey is so boring!! (no offense Canadians :D)

23 was also Don Mattingly's # on the Yankees, who is my favorite Yankee. :)
    Free the West Memphis Three
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    23 was also Don Mattingly's # on the Yankees, who is my favorite Yankee. :)

get a haircut
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    Lacrosse and Skiing the two best sports ever..........but football is the best pro sport to watch and follow.

oh yeah and college bball,,,,,,,,,,,,,,fuck the NBA
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,648
    I went to my first Canadian NHL game in vancouver last week - great time - however I was sad to realize that even the corporate world had invaded the canuck land - also they have a promotion like every 5 minutes. The experience was no different then a Bruins game here which left me a little disappointed.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    Chelios's stock just rose indeed.
    :)
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    Cool story.

I thought Ed was also a big Cubbies fan. I remember an interview he gave where he described all the memorabila he owned. It was like a mini hall of fame. He has vintage jerseys and all sorts of crazy shit that is priceless.