The Philly f*ck Count

phungiphungi Posts: 641
edited October 2013 in The Porch
While listening to the Philly boots in the car last week, my son said “they curse a lot” so I started counting how many times the word “fuck” came up during the shows.

I counted the number of times word “fuck” is added to songs (e.g., I Got Id, Present Tense) or appears in banter between songs… I counted these separately from songs that have the word “fuck” in the lyrics (e.g., Jeremy, Leash, Save You, Given to Fly, Lukin). When a “fuck” came up during between-song banter, I used the track from the CD to identify what song it occurred during. If there was a “fuck” in the lyrics as well as one added, they were counted separately.

Summary:
Night 1: 10 “fucks” (plus 7: Leash-5, Why Go, RVM)
Night 2: 11 “fucks” (plus 11: Save You-7, GTF, Lukin-2, Porch)
Night 3: 16 “fucks” (plus 2: GTF, RVM; Note; omitted "fuck" during Jeremy, audience sang it)
Night 4: 30 “fucks” (plus 3: Why Go, Rats, Porch; Note: omitted "fuck" during Jeremy, audience sang it)

To calculate an average, I added up the number of songs (including encore breaks) and divided by all the “fucks” (both incidental, and including within lyrics). Some songs with "fuck" in the lyrics had to be counted as "fuck-added" songs because "fucks" appeared twice (e.g., Lukin, Night 2).

Mind you, this was not fucking easy!

Philly Average:
“Fucks-added”: 1 “fuck” added every 1.98 songs (133 songs/67 “fucks”), or about "half a fuck" per song (0.5037)

“Total Fucks”: 1 “fuck" every 1.58 songs (142 songs/90 “fucks”), or about "two-thirds a fuck" per song (0.6338)

I have begun a NYC fuck count, but,based on preliminary numbers,I am confident these numbers stand up to any multi-night stand in any other city in PearlJam history, confirming that Philly (fucking) rocks...

Details:

Night 1:
“Fucks” added to songs or between-song banter: Corduroy, Faithful, Not for You, Encore 1, SOLAT (4), Encore 2
“Fucks” written into lyrics: Leash (5), Why Go, RVM

Night 2:
“Fucks” added to songs or between-song banter: WWS (2), Gone, Wishlist, Given to Fly, Lukin, Push Me Pull Me, Blood (2), Betterman (2)
“Fucks” written into lyrics: Given to Fly, Lukin (2), Save You (7), Porch

Night 3:
“Fucks” added to songs or between-song banter: The Fixer (3), In My Tree, Untitled, MFC, Hold On, In Hiding (2), Cropduster, Off He Goes (2), Force of Nature, Present Tense, Encore Break 1, Encore Break 2
“Fucks” written into lyrics: Given to Fly, RVM

Night 4:
“Fucks” added to songs or between-song banter: Severed Hand (3), The Fixer, Pilate, Daughter (10), Rats, I Got Id, Glorified G (2), Black, Low Light (4), Whip It (3), Satan’s Bed, Sweet Lou, Alive
“Fucks” written into lyrics: Why Go, Rats, Porch
37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 796
    Good science. But the Gorge was way fucking better...
  • OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    Your math on total fucks is off. You have an average of 1.58 fucks per song, but if there are 142 total songs, and only 90 fucks than my guess is it's 0.58 per song. There would have to be 142 fucks to average 1 per song. Just my 2 fucking cents!

edit: It's actually 0.63. I see your mistake, you did 142 divided by 90, when you should have done 90 divided by 142.
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    OGT92 wrote:
    Your math on total fucks is off. You have an average of 1.58 fucks per song, but if there are 142 total songs, and only 90 fucks than my guess is it's 0.58 per song. There would have to be 142 fucks to average 1 per song. Just my 2 fucking cents!

edit: It's actually 0.63. I see your mistake, you did 142 divided by 90, when you should have done 90 divided by 142.

yeah, the average guy can perform about 1.58 times per song....wait what's this thread about?
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • pjsycopjsyco Posts: 646
    Fuckin' A Dude
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    I thought this was going to be about how many people hooked up/scored at/after the Philly shows!! ;)

You obviously have way too much time on your hands ;) but kinda cool/funny/interesting. :D
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • That thread title is too fucking funny.

At first I thought that you were referring to all of the fucking fucks from Philly who attended the shows!!!

:lol:
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    IBFTL
  • G ForceG Force Posts: 1,393
    I like this fuckin thread.
  • Hey man do you need to be so vulgar
    seems pretty fucked up you fuckin fuckers
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • mdgsolo wrote:
    Good science. But the Gorge was way fucking better...
    :D word.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • mavimavi Posts: 941
    IBFTL

more like IBTFL.. or are you gonna f*ck the lock? :lol:
    "He who hears music, feels his solitude peopled at once" R. Browning
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • arqarq Posts: 8,012
    G Force wrote:
    I like this fuckin thread.

Who the fuck are you?!? ;)
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • :wtf:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Fuck!
    What fucking career do you fucking have Bc I fucking want it!
    Ps. Love your user name, I'm from AC and we should fucking pool our resources sometime;)
    If I don't see you no more in this world, I'll meet you on the next one...
  • NHidingNHiding Posts: 1,899
    it's phuckin' philly...whadya expect?
  • who the fuck counts fuck in a fucking rock concert??? ;)

In Before Somebody Lock the Fucking Thread :wtf:
    Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • This makes me feel like watching The Big Lebowski, meeky feekies.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Evensteven wrote:
    This makes me feel like watching The Big Lebowski, meeky feekies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU2ZgaQ_H-Y
  • loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,389
    Fuck the Fuckin Phillies.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    D I L L I G A F
    aqo2t.jpg
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    mavi wrote:
    IBFTL

more like IBTFL.. or are you gonna f*ck the lock? :lol:

Good Lookin Out :lol:
  • ρε δε γαμιεσται λεω εγω... :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • phungiphungi Posts: 641
    OGT92 wrote:

my stats are correct... it reads "a fuck every 1.58 song"... however, I edited the OP to include:

Philly Average:
    “Fucks-added”: 1 “fuck” added every 1.98 songs (133 songs/67 “fucks”), or about "half a fuck" per song (0.5037)

“Total Fucks”: 1 “fuck" every 1.58 songs (142 songs/90 “fucks”), or about "two-thirds a fuck" per song (0.6338)

Fuck!
    What fucking career do you fucking have Bc I fucking want it!
    Ps. Love your user name, I'm from AC and we should fucking pool our resources sometime;)
    Ironically, I am a (fucking) academic who does a lot of (fucking) statistics... and, what can I say, I'm a fun guy...
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    "my love for you is like a truck Berzerker /
    would you like to make some fuck Berzerker"
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • "my love for you is like a truck Berzerker /
    would you like to make some fuck Berzerker"

:lol:

But, more to the point when listening to Philly boots with kids in the car: How did I forget about the exchange between Ed and Mike at Philly 4?!?! :o I mean, my ten-year-old was sitting with me at the show, but somehow I forgot all about Kiss and Gene Simmons and Ed's mom and Mike's mom until the four of us were in the car one day, listening to the Philly 4 boot. :oops:
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    phungi wrote:
    my stats are correct...

Ah, okay I thought you were going for how many fucks per song not how many songs on average between the fucks. Makes sense now. Carry on. Nothing to see here.
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • phungiphungi Posts: 641
    But, more to the point when listening to Philly boots with kids in the car: How did I forget about the exchange between Ed and Mike at Philly 4?!?! :o I mean, my ten-year-old was sitting with me at the show, but somehow I forgot all about Kiss and Gene Simmons and Ed's mom and Mike's mom until the four of us were in the car one day, listening to the Philly 4 boot. :oops:
    That's the highest FPS*, coming in at a 10-count

*Fuck Per Song
  • tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Never thought of statistics as anything either funny or useful, but now I know! Good to have the stattos working such things out
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878