Options

Paul McCartney needs to hang it up

FirstExitFirstExit Los Angeles Posts: 972
edited December 2010 in Other Music
I posted this on another forum, but I'm gonna copy and paste it here, because I know there are a lot of Beatles fans here:

Before the "kys" comes flowing in, I'd just like to point out that the music of the Beatles changed my life, and was my first real introduction to rock and roll.

In addition, I've seen the man at least twice on every tour he's done since 2002.

That being said, I really think it's getting old. REALLY old. The only reason I'm posting this now is because Paul's performance on SNL really just kinda drove the point home - the ADITL/Give Peace a Chance medley (that I also saw him do at Citi Field) just seemed to have little sincerity, and just seemed like it there because of the show's proximity to the anniversary of Lennon's death.

I just feel like it's time to end the whole thing. I mean, NONE I mean NONE of the other Beatles had a stage show filled with old Beatles songs. Hell, even Paul didn't with Wings. If you take out Wings Over America you'll find only 5 Beatles songs on there.

Maybe if Paul radically decides to being playing more of his solo stuff, and less Beatles work, he could make something real out of it. Other than that, Paul hasn't changed his setlist much at all in the last decade, and continues to wear it out all over the country.

Like I said, I love Paul and I love the Beatles, so I'm looking for people's logical opinions on this here, not KYS and Sorry you don't like music.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I dunno about this, I watched the SNL and I thought McCartney was great. Me being young and a majority of the music I like is before my time, I really do enjoy seeing oldies like Paul playing old Beatles and Wings music. I think because there is enough people who do enjoy hearing those old songs to make it worth it for McCartney to keep playing them. A guy I work with went and saw Ringo Starr in the summer and he said that Ringo played a couple Beatles song in there. I totally see your point but I think from who and how huge the Beatles were Paul McCartney will ride this out for awhile especially with the whole Beatles catalogue being available on iTunes.
    Calgary 08/08/09
    Calgary 21/09/11
    Edmonton 23/09/11
  • Options
    SidnumSidnum Posts: 674
    If he can sell out concerts every time he tours. And if it makes people happy to see him, then more power to him. I'm not a huge Beatles fan or anything either so I doesn't matter to me whether he continues or not. I can totally see your point. But, if he's still able to do it, why not?
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    I think Paul is simply giving the people what they want. Playing newer solo material at his shows would be a total momentum killer. Some acts get to a point where their audiences consider the performance of new songs as a good time for a bathroom break

Perhaps Paul feels enough at peace with his past to play the Beatles songs, whereas, he may have ignored them in 1975 because the break-up of the Beatles wasn't too far behind him.

I don't think John or George did many solo shows, so it is a bit difficult to compare.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    I think you're missing the bigger picture. :?

Paul M. is getting older. He's not going to be around forever! If he has the energy to tour right now, he's giving people a chance to hear this music played not by a tribute band, but by himself, before he's gone. Think about that. Once he's gone, there will be people who will WISH they got to hear him perform this music.

Right now is the time for young people to hear it. Not the year after he's dead. Not the day after he's too unhealthy to go on the road. Now.

If you think it's boring and old....JUST AVOID IT...don't go putting him down for playing his music. His music is going to last and the young people who hear it before he's gone will remember that they got to hear him sing it.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    nicely put justam. what's "kys"?
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options

I don't know. I was wondering what he meant by that abbreviation too. :eh:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    does "kys" mean "kill yourself?" or "keep it to yourself?" I googled it.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    dccrash23 wrote:
    I dunno about this, I watched the SNL and I thought McCartney was great. Me being young and a majority of the music I like is before my time, I really do enjoy seeing oldies like Paul playing old Beatles and Wings music. I think because there is enough people who do enjoy hearing those old songs to make it worth it for McCartney to keep playing them. A guy I work with went and saw Ringo Starr in the summer and he said that Ringo played a couple Beatles song in there. I totally see your point but I think from who and how huge the Beatles were Paul McCartney will ride this out for awhile especially with the whole Beatles catalogue being available on iTunes.

+1.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    I saw Paul in 2003 or 2004 and it was fucking amazing. It's as close as I'll ever get to seeing a/the Beatles and I was stoked to hear so many Beatles songs.

It's pricey, but I hope to go again, and I hope to take my 7 year old son and 4 year old daughter someday.

For those future fans, or fans who don't have the means/luxury to see him 2 times every year, I hope he keeps doing what he is doing.

My show didn't seemed mailed in at all, and if it was, then Paul is simply so talented that a mailed in show will still blow most acts out of the water.

My mom saw him at Fenway a few years ago, she had the time of her life because he played the hits.

I think that is what the world wants, and the OP's thoughts are a little spoiled and a little selfish. (not in a bad way, as I admit to being selfish about Pearl Jam and wanting to hear anything but the hits cause I go to too many shows.)

I think what should happen is perhaps the OP should take a break, and then 4 or 5 years down the road catch him again. Bet you sing a different tune, and will try not to sing out of key.
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Regardless of how much you like/dislike The Beatles/McCartney his gigs are the only events recent generations can experience that is anything close to seeing the actual Beatles. It may not be them but it is their songs sung by one of them and I'd love to see him before he hangs up his guitars. If you don't like his setlists because he is playing what thousands still want to hear then you can just opt to not pay or listen. Huge credit is due to Macca for what he has achieved and for what he continues to do. Bands half his age are playing sets half as long as he does.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    FirstExit wrote:
    I posted this on another forum, but I'm gonna copy and paste it here, because I know there are a lot of Beatles fans here:

Before the "kys" comes flowing in, I'd just like to point out that the music of the Beatles changed my life, and was my first real introduction to rock and roll.

In addition, I've seen the man at least twice on every tour he's done since 2002.

That being said, I really think it's getting old. REALLY old. The only reason I'm posting this now is because Paul's performance on SNL really just kinda drove the point home - the ADITL/Give Peace a Chance medley (that I also saw him do at Citi Field) just seemed to have little sincerity, and just seemed like it there because of the show's proximity to the anniversary of Lennon's death.

I just feel like it's time to end the whole thing. I mean, NONE I mean NONE of the other Beatles had a stage show filled with old Beatles songs. Hell, even Paul didn't with Wings. If you take out Wings Over America you'll find only 5 Beatles songs on there.

Maybe if Paul radically decides to being playing more of his solo stuff, and less Beatles work, he could make something real out of it. Other than that, Paul hasn't changed his setlist much at all in the last decade, and continues to wear it out all over the country.

Like I said, I love Paul and I love the Beatles, so I'm looking for people's logical opinions on this here, not KYS and Sorry you don't like music.

As Paul might say.....

Sod off, man!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I see both sides of this. I am grateful I got to see Paul perform this summer, playing a lot of Beatles songs I thought I would never hear live. OTOH, I can see the argument against a 'greatest hits' show.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    edited December 2010
    justam wrote:

I don't know. I was wondering what he meant by that abbreviation too. :eh:

I'm guessing kill yourself.

Edit: Saw the post above, "keep it to yourself" is very probable too.
    Post edited by dcfaithful on
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I don't think the problem is Paul. I think the problem is you. You said yourself that you've seen him at least twice on every tour he's done since 2002. You're making yourself sick of him. That's not his fault. Do yourself a favour and skip the next tour and let someone else have a chance to see him for a change, lol
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    justam wrote:

Paul M. is getting older. He's not going to be around forever! If he has the energy to tour right now, he's giving people a chance to hear this music played not by a tribute band, but by himself, before he's gone. Think about that. Once he's gone, there will be people who will WISH they got to hear him perform this music.

Right now is the time for young people to hear it. Not the year after he's dead. Not the day after he's too unhealthy to go on the road. Now.

If you think it's boring and old....JUST AVOID IT...don't go putting him down for playing his music. His music is going to last and the young people who hear it before he's gone will remember that they got to hear him sing it.
    I agree! :thumbup:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    I agree! :thumbup:
    :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,255
    I couldnt disagree more. I saw him in June in Dublin and it was in the top 5 gigs i've ever been to. Over 3 hours, and 35 songs. His band are brilliant and he was amazing, his voice is as good as ever. Fantastic value for money
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    I'd love to see him, I don't care if he plays Beatles songs or not. It would just be cool to see him perform.
    I remember seeing an interview where someone asked him if he was going to retire soon, and he said something like, "Look, what else have I got to do besides music? I mean, watching telly is nice sometimes, but I don't want to do it all the time. I'd rather be onstage." I say more power to him. Hope I'm that cool if I live to be late 60s/70s.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    justam wrote:

+1
    couldn't have said it better imo

totally agree - if he can still do it, why the fudge not?
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    justam wrote:

Well put, justam. :)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    FirstExit wrote:

maybe if it's getting old for you, you should stop going to shows. personally, i've never seen him live and would love to.
    9/1/00, 9/2/00, 9/3/00, 12/31/00, 3/2/01, 4/29/01, 6/21/01, 7/25/01, 8/31/01, 9/1/01, 9/2/01, 4/18/02, 8/30/02, 8/31/02, 8/31/02, 9/1/02, 9/22/02, 3/22/03, 5/6/03, 6/29/03, 8/29/03, 8/30/03, 8/30/03, 8/31/03, 2/21/04, 4/2/04, 4/3/04, 9/3/04, 9/4/04, 9/4/04, 9/5/04, 2/19/05, 7/22/05, 9/2/05, 9/3/05, 9/3/05, 9/4/05, 1/22/06, 6/7/06, 9/1/06, 9/2/06, 9/2/06, 9/3/06, 7/6/07, 8/31/07, 9/1/07, 9/1/07, 9/2/07, 3/7/08, 8/29/08, 8/30/08, 8/30/08, 8/31/08, 7/11/09, 6/4/10, 6/11/11