Tax Relief / Jobs Creation Act of 2010

JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Social Security Tax Savings

It gets pretty complicated to understand, but there is a reduction in payroll taxes that benefits everyone who is employed. FICA (social security tax) is being reduced from 6.2% to 4.2%, so, for everyone earning below $106,800 in wages, they will take home an extra $200 for every $10,000 they earn.

Someone making $50,000 per year will save $1,000.

The employer portion of FICA is also reduced, so business owners will save the same amount on their payroll tax expense. Hopefully this serves as a good incentive to hire more employees.

Estate Tax
Another move that may be popular for the average person is the reinstatement of the estate tax. Before Bush, a decedents estate would pay a maximum estate tax of 55% of their taxable estate. For 2010, there was no estate tax, so if a wealthy person died, their heirs would receive 100% of the estate, as opposed to 45%. This was a huge point of contention, but the new estate tax rate is 35% of the taxabale portion of the estate (the first $5,000,000 of the estate is not taxable).

Not too be morbid, but 2010 was a good year to die if you had a huge estate. George Steinbrenner's estate saved about $500 Million in estate tax because he died in 2010.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Estate Tax
    Another move that may be popular for the average person is the reinstatement of the estate tax. Before Bush, a decedents estate would pay a maximum estate tax of 55% of their taxable estate. For 2010, there was no estate tax, so if a wealthy person died, their heirs would receive 100% of the estate, as opposed to 45%. This was a huge point of contention, but the new estate tax rate is 35% of the taxabale portion of the estate (the first $5,000,000 of the estate is not taxable).

Not too be morbid, but 2010 was a good year to die if you had a huge estate. George Steinbrenner's estate saved about $500 Million in estate tax because he died in 2010.
    Don't tell this to my wife :?
    The years not over yet :shock:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Estate Tax

She is exempt from estate tax on your assets, so it would make no sense FINANCIALLY for her to off you!
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    edited December 2010
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Estate Tax

She is exempt from estate tax on your assets, so it would make no sense FINANCIALLY for her to off you!

Oh phew...
    :stabbed by the 5 year old:
    Post edited by Black Diamond on
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

The employer portion of FICA is also reduced, so business owners will save the same amout on their payroll tax expense. Hopefully this serves as a good incentive to hire more employees.

Thank goodness for that. My boss needs all the help he can get to keep us employed!!!

now is this FOR SURE or is it part of what is still being voted on?
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Lizard wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

The employer portion of FICA is also reduced, so business owners will save the same amout on their payroll tax expense. Hopefully this serves as a good incentive to hire more employees.

Thank goodness for that. My boss needs all the help he can get to keep us employed!!!

now is this FOR SURE or is it part of what is still being voted on?

Still to be approved, but for bills of this size, they usually make changes beforehand so they won't have to keep voting over and over again.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

It gets pretty complicated to understand, but there is a reduction in payroll taxes that benefits everyone who is employed. FICA (social security tax) is being reduced from 6.2% to 4.2%, so, for everyone earning below $106,800 in wages, they will take home an extra $200 for every $10,000 they earn.

Someone making $50,000 per year will save $1,000.

The employer portion of FICA is also reduced, so business owners will save the same amount on their payroll tax expense. Hopefully this serves as a good incentive to hire more employees.

i don't see this happening at all. all we hear about is how broke SS is going to be in a few years.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg