Options

Bad Xmas Sweater Party

The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone else going to one of these? I am hitting one tomorrow night. It's always fun to get dressed up like an idiot and get hammered. The bad sweater parties are one of my holiday highlights
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,804
    Haha, that's funny, I'm actually going to one tomorrow as well. Mustache and all. Cannot wait.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    I have one tomorrow as well, no sweater yet though. Should probably get on that.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I have one tomorrow as well, no sweater yet though. Should probably get on that.
    I'm invited to one tonight but cant go.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Goodwill - take care of all of your needs.

I've been using the same getup for the last 3 years - when I lived in the city I used to host it, but now my gay suburbanite(no offense fixer) friends are hosting it since I can't. Lame.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I've been using the same getup for the last 3 years - when I lived in the city I used to host it, but now my gay suburbanite(no offense fixer) friends are hosting it since I can't. Lame.

Thats what I plan on hitting up tomorrow morning.

Mines up in Bridesburg tomorrow. Only party I have at my place around the holidays is New Years day since I am at 2nd and Christian. Will be the 3rd year coming up. Fucking blast and a complete mess of a day.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Mines up in Bridesburg tomorrow. Only party I have at my place around the holidays is New Years day since I am at 2nd and Christian. Will be the 3rd year coming up. Fucking blast and a complete mess of a day.

I'm sure I've said this before, but I'm not jealous of much in life, but your spot I definitely am, ya bastid.

Yeah, New Year's Day is the fucking best. I don't even think I'm going out NYE so I make sure I get my full of New Year's Day this year. Usually the morning starts off with a party at a friends house with beer and mimosas, then walk down to Broad for the parade, then walk down Mifflin hitting the shitty corner South Philly bars till we get down to 2 street where....well....the ultimate shit show begins. Love New Year's Day.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'm sure I've said this before, but I'm not jealous of much in life, but your spot I definitely am, ya bastid.

Yeah, New Year's Day is the fucking best. I don't even think I'm going out NYE so I make sure I get my full of New Year's Day this year. Usually the morning starts off with a party at a friends house with beer and mimosas, then walk down to Broad for the parade, then walk down Mifflin hitting the shitty corner South Philly bars till we get down to 2 street where....well....the ultimate shit show begins. Love New Year's Day.

I love it there dude. You see that dump of a bar, the Lyons Den closed and there is a new place there called Kennett? Looks pretty sweet. Good food and good beer I think. Going there tonight.

Yeah, man. That is a hell of a day. New Years day is so much better than Eve. I have been wanting to get to Broad street for the past couple years but haven't been able to because of my party. People usually start showing up around 11. We have crockpots full of Chili and pulled pork and a shit load of other food, Bloody's, mimosas and a whole lot of beer. Usually some people stick around and watch football and some people head down to 2nd st when things get going. Always a fucking blast. This year should be no different.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

none taken brotha. I lived in the city for 5 years after college. Great times...I really miss living downtown. Getting old sucks
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I love it there dude. You see that dump of a bar, the Lyons Den closed and there is a new place there called Kennett? Looks pretty sweet. Good food and good beer I think. Going there tonight.

Yeah, man. That is a hell of a day. New Years day is so much better than Eve. I have been wanting to get to Broad street for the past couple years but haven't been able to because of my party. People usually start showing up around 11. We have crockpots full of Chili and pulled pork and a shit load of other food, Bloody's, mimosas and a whole lot of beer. Usually some people stick around and watch football and some people head down to 2nd st when things get going. Always a fucking blast. This year should be no different.

That's funny, I was just going to ask you if you ever go to the Lyon's Den. But nah, dude, I don't know much about the new places opening up since I haven't been down there much as of late. Pisses me off - hopefully by the summer I'll be back where I belong.

I know there's a new place on 11th, I think, down the street from Buena Vista Beer that I heard is good that I wanted to check out.

As for the parade, some will say it's boring, but whatever, doing anything involving drinking is never boring to me. And my family has been it in for years so I kinda have to like it. Plus, I don't mind dancing around like an idiot.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

dude, how long have you been at 2nd and christian?? I used to live on 3rd and christian. that is pretty fucking crazy.

I loved that area...it's disgusting how many times I hit that wawa at 2 AM.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

dude, how long have you been at 2nd and christian?? I used to live on 3rd and christian. that is pretty fucking crazy.

It's more disgusting that it's not even a Wawa anymore. Seriously, there's like 2 Wawa's left in the middle of the city that I know of - one down on 2nd St. in Society Hill and the other on Del Ave. near the strip clubs.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

No shit dude, thats pretty crazy. Been there for almost 3 years. Great area, I was in Old City for my first 23 years in Philly which was cool but this is so much better. My apartment is on the 3rd floor above the Bainbridge Law Office next to the Lyons Den, roof top deck and all. Great neighborhood.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

No shit dude, thats pretty crazy. Been there for almost 3 years. Great area, I was in Old City for my first 23 years in Philly which was cool but this is so much better. My apartment is on the 3rd floor above the Bainbridge Law Office next to the Lyons Den, roof top deck and all. Great neighborhood.

Oh, you bastard. How'd you end up with that place?
  • Options

It's more disgusting that it's not even a Wawa anymore. Seriously, there's like 2 Wawa's left in the middle of the city that I know of - one down on 2nd St. in Society Hill and the other on Del Ave. near the strip clubs.

oh man, that blows. when I lived there the places we hit the most were the new wave, kildare's on south, and shit, I don't even remember the names of some of the other places. Those years are kinda a blur.

can't believe that wawa closed. that place was always packed. what is there now?
  • Options
    That's funny, I was just going to ask you if you ever go to the Lyon's Den. But nah, dude, I don't know much about the new places opening up since I haven't been down there much as of late. Pisses me off - hopefully by the summer I'll be back where I belong.

I know there's a new place on 11th, I think, down the street from Buena Vista Beer that I heard is good that I wanted to check out.

As for the parade, some will say it's boring, but whatever, doing anything involving drinking is never boring to me. And my family has been it in for years so I kinda have to like it. Plus, I don't mind dancing around like an idiot.

The Lyons Den just had a shitty crowd and I only ever went there when I could barely walk. I wasn't a huge fan of it. I doubt I will move out of the city until I have kids, which is NO time soon.

I think I heard about this place, I think someone was telling me about it recently. Will have to look into it.

Nah, anyone who says the parade is boring is an idiot. It's my favorite day of the year and one of my absolute favorite things about this city.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Kept calling about a place on 2nd and Catherine that I really wanted to see and they guy said that the apartment I was calling about was taken but he has another one with a rooftop deck and something like 20 foot ceilings just down the street. Walked in the place and said "done".
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

OK...I think I moved outta my place back in '06. something like that. It was before I moved to florida, so it was a while ago.

Sounds like your place is nicer than mine was. I had a 2 bedroom apt on the first floor of a 3 floor building. It was like a dungeon.

I was in northern liberties for a year before I moved over to queen village. I really like both spots. I'm not the biggest fan of havertown. There are no good bars or restaurants up here (that I know about...JP, I'd love suggestions if you know of any)
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

oh man, that blows. when I lived there the places we hit the most were the new wave, kildare's on south, and shit, I don't even remember the names of some of the other places. Those years are kinda a blur.

can't believe that wawa closed. that place was always packed. what is there now?

They're just like the other wawa's that closed - some cheap knock off, or a 7-11. Horrible.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

New Wave is good. I dont go often. They do have this chick bartender with dreads, who is fucking slamming though. Kildares is closed, I hit up Dark Horse quite a bit and my favorite bar by far and JP and I have talked about many times is For Petes Sake.

yeah, terrible that the Wawa closed, now called 24/7 but closes at midnight. It's pretty shitty. There is a new deli right across the street that is great though!
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Kept calling about a place on 2nd and Catherine that I really wanted to see and they guy said that the apartment I was calling about was taken but he has another one with a rooftop deck and something like 20 foot ceilings just down the street. Walked in the place and said "done".

Oh word. Yeah, if I don't end up on my boat down there, then I'm definitely moving back down to that area. If you walk into Dee's Bar on New Year's, look for an older lady with blonde hair behind the bar - that's my aunt Linda. Tell her you know her nephew Chris. She'll hook it up.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

OK...I think I moved outta my place back in '06. something like that. It was before I moved to florida, so it was a while ago.

Sounds like your place is nicer than mine was. I had a 2 bedroom apt on the first floor of a 3 floor building. It was like a dungeon.

I was in northern liberties for a year before I moved over to queen village. I really like both spots. I'm not the biggest fan of havertown. There are no good bars or restaurants up here (that I know about...JP, I'd love suggestions if you know of any)

Yeah, I moved here in 06 (so obviously I have not been here for 23 years like I mistyped). Yeah, I like my place a lot. 1 bedroom but pretty big.

I am a fan of Northern Liberties although it is so overpriced now. My girlfriend worked at Liberties for a while and I know the owners very well so I am there fairly often. Good times.
  • Options
    Fixer, if you're to find anything in the suburbs ya gotta drive around, I'm sure you know this. And, plus, it is the suburbs so a lot of stuff just isn't the same. There's a lot of good deli's, but are you looking for like bars with different beers & good food like in the city?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I am a fan of Northern Liberties although it is so overpriced now. My girlfriend worked at Liberties for a while and I know the owners very well so I am there fairly often. Good times.

used to go there a lot. cool spot. and standard tap...I really miss that place. Their pork sandwich is fantastic
  • Options
    Oh word. Yeah, if I don't end up on my boat down there, then I'm definitely moving back down to that area. If you walk into Dee's Bar on New Year's, look for an older lady with blonde hair behind the bar - that's my aunt Linda. Tell her you know her nephew Chris. She'll hook it up.

The boat would be pretty sick, think we talked about that a while back. Can't go wrong either way.

Nice. I am sure we will end up there at some point. Always do. Can't wait.
  • Options
    Fixer, if you're to find anything in the suburbs ya gotta drive around, I'm sure you know this. And, plus, it is the suburbs so a lot of stuff just isn't the same. There's a lot of good deli's, but are you looking for like bars with different beers & good food like in the city?

I'm open to any bar/restaurant recommendations. Me and the wife like to eat out (and I really like to drink). We haven't had much luck finding anything really worth going back to in this area and we've been here for 2 years now. tonight we are heading up to KOP to hit the capital grill that just opened up there.

just looking for good spots to grab dinner...or just beers.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

used to go there a lot. cool spot. and standard tap...I really miss that place. Their pork sandwich is fantastic

Yeah, I like standard tap, don't go often though. Usually only for work happy hours and shit like that.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

I'm open to any bar/restaurant recommendations. Me and the wife like to eat out (and I really like to drink). We haven't had much luck finding anything really worth going back to in this area and we've been here for 2 years now. tonight we are heading up to KOP to hit the capital grill that just opened up there.

Well, if you're willing to go up to KOP, I'm sure I could come up with some places. I'll send you some places.

And, yes, For Pete's Sake at Front & Christian has been agreed upon between me and Cliff is the bee's knees.

I went to that PYT joint in NL for the first time this past summer. Pistachio encrusted lamb burger with a b&w milkshake w/ Maker's Mark. Dear. Lord.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

Well, if you're willing to go up to KOP, I'm sure I could come up with some places. I'll send you some places.

And, yes, For Pete's Sake at Front & Christian has been agreed upon between me and Cliff is the bee's knees.

I went to that PYT joint in NL for the first time this past summer. Pistachio encrusted lamb burger with a b&w milkshake w/ Maker's Mark. Dear. Lord.

ideally, the places would be closer, but like I said I'm open to anything.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

ideally, the places would be closer, but like I said I'm open to anything.

Got ya, well, just off the top of my head, some low key hole-in-the-walls to drink would be Frankie's on Eagle & WC Pike and Gillane's in Ardmore.

Food - I know there's a Japanese joint at Brookline and Darby that's alright(I think that's where it's at), you know about the Oakmont(meh. we were actually getting drunk next door at Burke's the other night), Yang Ming on Haverford rd in Bryn Mawr is decent.
  • Options

And just to add, speaking of boats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ1lc6KASWg