Pete Sampras' trophies stolen

normnorm Posts: 31,146
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
kinda blows

but notice what else was stolen :ugeek:

One of tennis' ultimate winners, Pete Sampras, suffers a major loss

By Bill Dwyre
When Pete Sampras finished his legendary tennis career, he had enough hardware to open a store. Also, the perfect name: Aces.

No longer.

Sampras has been robbed of the majority of trophies, medals, plaques, crystal and rings that are a testament to a career that brought a then-record 14 major titles and status as one of the greatest ever to play the game. Three weeks ago, he found out that the dozens of boxes containing these symbols of his career had been stolen.

Get sports scores and updates, delivered to your mobile phone. Text SPORTS to 52669.

"I have 13 of my 14 Grand Slam trophies," he said. "Some are at home and some up at NikeTown [in Portland]. My first Australian Open trophy is gone, and so is everything else."

Seven Wimbledon, five U.S. Open and one Australian Open trophy remain.

"Everything else" includes trophies for winning 64 tour tournaments, and finalist hardware from 24 others. It includes what he was presented for winning five season-ending ATP World Tour titles, for being on two Davis Cup winners, and for taking 11 ATP Masters event titles. It includes an Olympic ring, seven ESPYs and six trophies awarded to the player who finished No. 1 in the year-end rankings. Sampras, now 39, did that from 1993 to '98.

The items were stolen from a public storage facility in West Los Angeles. Sampras had rented two units and stored furniture and the boxes of memorabilia. All, except for some large furniture, was taken.

"We've had some housing issues," Sampras said, "and we stored things while we were sorting that out."

A few years ago, he and his wife, actress Bridgett Wilson, and their sons Christian and Ryan had moved from Beverly Hills to Thousand Oaks and a home in the hills surrounding Sherwood Country Club. Recently, they moved again, this time to Brentwood.

Sampras said he never considered that his things wouldn't be safe.

"I was like, 'What?'" he said. "I thought there were security cameras. I thought these things were locked up tight. I was shocked."

He said police currently have no leads, but they encouraged him to go public in the hope that somebody who knows somebody who heard something might come forward.

An LAPD spokesperson confirmed an investigation is ongoing and said the responsibility has been transferred to the commercial crimes unit downtown.

Sampras said he had no way of knowing whether his trophies were targeted, or if they just were taken with the furniture that was stolen.

Obviously, putting the 1994 Australian men's singles championship trophy on EBay would quickly raise questions, as would just about everything else Sampras lost. So the next step for those with Sampras' hardware is clearly problematic.

Nor is Sampras treating this as a catastrophe.

"I'm not one to gloat about trophies, or show them off," Sampras said. "I've never been like that. I just want them for my kids to see. They didn't see me play, but I'd like them to see these things."

Christian is 8, Ryan 5. Sampras' last professional match was his 2002 victory over Andre Agassi in the U.S. Open final.

"Losing this stuff," he said, "is like having the history of my tennis life taken away."

Magazine articles are gone, including many with Sampras on the cover. So are newspaper clippings, including front-page L.A. Times stories after he tied and broke Roy Emerson's Grand Slam record.

Also lost are a signed program from Pearl Jam lead singer Eddie Vedder, a signed piano bench from Elton John and a signed guitar from Carlos Santana.

Sampras said none of this was insured because there was no real way to assess value.

"For me to have it for my kids is priceless," he said. "I just hope it hasn't already been destroyed. That's why I wanted to get the word out now. I know this is a longshot, but I'd regret it if I didn't at least try. Maybe somebody knows something.

"That's all I can hope for."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-120 ... 631.column
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Who cares about the trophies, tennis is boring anyway but dude....DON'T TOUCH HIS EDDIE SIGNED PROGRAM! NOT COOL!!! :lol:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    one of the few tennis players i actually enjoyed watching play.

i wonder what the trophies are made of? silver? will they get melted down? at least he has most of the big ones.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    people really suck
    what a way to fuck someone over

not knowing much about pete sampras i going to watch this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlALn_GzoPk

thank you, norm
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    I am a big fan of Pete's and used to try and get to see his matches when he played in Melbourne. It was he who was responsible for me finding out PJ in the first place, cos he was a fan of theirs, which prompted me to find out about them - and I've never looked back. I hope he gets all his trophies back, his Eddie Vedder signed program, and other items that were stolen. Such a shitful thing to do, steal these important items of his. :x
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    he has to be one of the most boring sportsman of all time... plus he was hairier than a mammoths fudd... still, a bit of a shame indeed!!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I bet Agassi did it. Who's got all the trophies now, bitch!
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • arqarq Posts: 8,012
    this is the end of the world as we know it!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I know how he feels. My mother recently told me that she somehow lost the statue of St. Joseph I was awarded when I came in third in the Grade 3 Spelling Bee at St. John the Evangelist School. (First place got a Jesus, second got a Mary.)

That was going to be my legacy to my children.

Wait _ I don't have any children.

*whew*

I do feel bad for Sampras. He was a classy player. That was a shitty thing for someone to do to him.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • eyedclaar wrote:
    I bet Agassi did it. Who's got all the trophies now, bitch!
    :lol:

That's really too bad. Stealing the man's tennis trophies. That sucks. At least he's still married to Billy Madison's girlfriend.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925