Happy Birthday Larry Bird

DL136722DL136722 Posts: 685
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Larry Legend is 54 years young today! Other than MJ - Larry is the greatest! By far the nastiest white boy to rock the short shorts and old school Converse!
Tweeter Center - Aug 29, 2000;Tweeter Center - Aug 30, 2000;Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000;Pepsi Arena - Apr 29, 2003;Bryce-Jordan Center - May 03, 2003;Bell Center - Jun 29, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 05, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 06, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 08, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 09, 2003;TD Banknorth Garden - May 24, 2006;TD Banknorth Garden - May 25, 2006;Fleet Center - Sept 28, 2004;Fleet Center - Sept 29, 2004;Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 New England Dodge Music Arena - May 13, 2006;Grant Park - Aug 05, 2007;Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008;Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008 XL Arena - May 15, 2010;TD Garden - May 17, 2010;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sept 03, 2011;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011 Corel Centre - Sep 16, 2005;Colisee Pepsi Arena - Sep 20, 2005; Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 15, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 16, 2013; Fenway Park - August 5, 2016; Fenway Park - August 7, 2016

Oh Dude!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• From Cow Lick Indiana, yeah?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • The Legend lives on! Thank you Larry for turning me a basketball fan when I was a little kid. Watching him back in the day was so great.
    33-39781-F.jpg
    Happy Birthday Larry!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    French Lick.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i didn't know he was a member here. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I heard he was a great trash talker, there was a story Dennis Rodman told about the first time he played against him and Bird acted like he didn't see him, he was like "I can't beleive they got nobody guarding me, don't they know who the fuck i am? well i guess i'll just have to punish them for it" the whole time Rodman's in his face and Birds, just poppin three's.

Brillant.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I heard he was a great trash talker, there was a story Dennis Rodman told about the first time he played against him and Bird acted like he didn't see him, he was like "I can't beleive they got nobody guarding me, don't they know who the fuck i am? well i guess i'll just have to punish them for it" the whole time Rodman's in his face and Birds, just poppin three's.

Brillant.

- During the three-point shooting contest on All-Star Weekend 1986, Bird entered the locker room, looked around without saying a word, then finally said, "I want all of you to know I am winning this thing. I'm just looking around to see who's gonna finish up second." He won the shooting contest.

- During one game on Christmas Day against the Indiana Pacers, before the game Bird told Chuck Person that he had a Christmas present waiting for him. During the game, when Person was on the bench, Bird shot a three-pointer on the baseline right in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry fuckin' Christmas!", and then the shot went in. This was no doubt inspired by Person (nicknamed the "Rifleman") stating prior to the game that "The Rifleman is Coming, and He's Going Bird Hunting."

- Reggie Miller recalled his encounter with Larry Bird's legendary trash talking ability in his book "I Love Being The Enemy". Reggie tried to disrupt Larry's concentration when he was shooting free throws late in a game. Larry glared at him, made the first free throw and said, "Rook, I am the best shooter in the league right now. In the league. Understand? And you're up here trying to tell me something?" Then Larry buried the second free throw.

- Late in a tied game against the Seattle SuperSonics, Bird told Supersonics forward Xavier McDaniel, who was guarding him, exactly where he would hit the game winning shot. After a timeout, Bird made two baseline cuts, then posted in the exact spot he had indicated to McDaniel, paused, turned, and hit the shot in his face.

- On November 9, 1984, Bird was ejected along with Julius Erving in the third quarter after an on court scuffle. At the point of both ejections, Bird had outscored Erving 42 to 6. During the game, Bird had continuously informed Erving of their tallies with every chance he got to score. Bird denies this stating that it was "M.L. (Carr) talking trash from the bench" during that game. Eventually a shoving match ensued, then swings taken by both players, and finally a bench-clearing brawl.

Clearly one of the most bad ass basketball players ever. Larry Fucking Bird.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    He was the ultimate trash talker - that's what made him so awesome. If you haven't seen the HBO doc about him and Magic, then you're really missing out.
    He was the ultimate trash talker - that's what made him so awesome. If you haven't seen the HBO doc about him and Magic, then you're really missing out.

I'd really like to. I missed it originally due to not having HBO. Do you recall the title?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • He was the ultimate trash talker - that's what made him so awesome. If you haven't seen the HBO doc about him and Magic, then you're really missing out.
    It was AMAZING!!
    ESPN is really doing a terrific job with the docs these days.

Oh and the Cow Lick thing above was from Indiana 2010 show when EV dedicated Small Town to LB... He said he was from Cow Lick :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    It was AMAZING!!

Oh and the Cow Lick thing above was from Indiana 2010 show when EV dedicated Small Town to LB... He said he was from Cow Lick :lol:

shit, i should have have caught that.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    It was AMAZING!!

Nooooow I get it.

DC, I think it's just called 'Magic & Bird'. The part about them making a commercial together at Bird's property is the best.
    It was AMAZING!!

Nooooow I get it.

DC, I think it's just called 'Magic & Bird'. The part about them making a commercial together at Bird's property is the best.

I wonder if it is Netflixable. I certainly hope so.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • dcfaithful wrote:
    I think we have a top contender for OED word of the year... I like it...
    GoiMTvP.gif
    dcfaithful wrote:
    It was AMAZING!!

Nooooow I get it.

Funny. I was just checking my queue and decided to search for it, and it indeed is.
    Funny. I was just checking my queue and decided to search for it, and it indeed is.

Fuckin' A!

img_64268_primary.jpg
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:

OED? :oops:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • He was the ultimate trash talker - that's what made him so awesome. If you haven't seen the HBO doc about him and Magic, then you're really missing out.
    It was AMAZING!!

Ed actually called Bird's hometown Salt Lick... :D

Quickly corrected himself

Larry Bird is the only thing better to graduate from Indiana State than me! :roll:
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • dcfaithful wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Oxford English Dictionary...
    The morons who just added Sarah Palins twitted refudiate to the dictionary :roll:
    GoiMTvP.gif
    It was AMAZING!!

Ed actually called Bird's hometown Salt Lick... :D

Quickly corrected himself

Larry Bird is the only thing better to graduate from Indiana State than me! :roll:
    :oops: I stand corrected...
    GoiMTvP.gif
    dcfaithful wrote:

Oxford English Dictionary...
    The morons who just added Sarah Palins twitted refudiate to the dictionary :roll:

Isn't Colbert's "truthiness" in there? And if it is, I'm a little bit bothered that Firefox is underscoring in red that word. Don't tell me it's not a word!
  • Fuck off......Go LAKERS
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    QA217709 wrote:
    Fuck off......Go LAKERS

:lol::lol::lol:

"Magic comes across the middle , with the HOOK"
    QA217709 wrote:
    Fuck off......Go LAKERS

fuck-kobe-shirt-256x300.jpg

:mrgreen:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Wore this shirt constantly as a kid.

vtg-80s-LARRY-BIRD-caricature-t-shirt-BOSTON-CELTICS.jpg

EDIT: After posting this, I immediately went to Twitter and saw that Bill Simmons has this pic as his avatar. I'm not stealing his idea, it was a quick Google image search for Larry Bird.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.