Don Meredith has Passed Away at 72

g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Dandy Don Meredith Has Passed Away at 72

Rest in Peace he was very funny...Turn Out The Lights.

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Don
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    RIP Don.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Wow such a part of my childhood...

RIP Don and Howard
    Frank's all that's left.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    A Cowboy legend....denied the Super Bowl, as a player, twice by Lombardi's Packers....you will be missed, Sir
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • RIP Mr. Meredith

We've gone from guys like Don Meredith and Al Michaels on MNF to that bumbling idiot John Gruden saying "This guy/That guy" every other sentence.

Not looking forward to hearing that guy's voice for 3 hours tonight.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Unbelievable.
    Such a great player and great sense of humor. He kept a very low profile these last years, such a shame that many people didn't know him.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    turn out the lights, the party's over

rip dandy don
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I posted about him in the Cowboys thread but it got lost in all the trash talk in there. :D

I am too young to remember him play, but I've seen a lot of the video of course. Meredith was the original Dallas Cowboy, signing a contract before the team even existed. He was loved and hated by Dallas, taking the Cowboys to from the very depths of futility to the top, but never quite over. Of course, we all remember or have seen and read a lot about the Ice Bowl. He was there.

Meredith gave it up pretty early in his career, citing personal issues, but I think it had more to do with the demands of the Dallas fans and his relationship with Landry. I often wonder what would have been had he stayed on a couple of more years. Maybe Staubach would have never gotten the job. Who knows? You could make the argument that Staubach won with Meredith's team, the team he helped build.

In any case, most of America knows him as the co-host of MNF all those years. I just told my wife last night about how much I remember about MNF from back in the day. When I was 9, 10, 11 years old, etc. Monday night was the only night my dad let me stay up late to watch TV, and it was always Monday Night Football. That meant so much to me, and of course I remember Meredith singing "The Party's Over".

Well now it is. So turn out the lights for a local legend that never got his due while playing, but is certainly revered now.

http://www.wfaa.com/video?id=111399624&sec=553032
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13