Options

Green River secret show tonight

2»

Comments

• Options
    mark armmark arm Posts: 962
    sgossard3 wrote:
    :eek: maybe we'll have more reunion news to look forward to... even if its just one or two shows like this! PLEASE... anyone get to meet kim? whats he been up to? seems like with such a intimate venue youd get to meet everyone... killer setlist... thats really a once in a lifetime show... im jealous as hell!

he is talking about Matt Lukin there.
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    mark arm wrote:
    he is talking about Matt Lukin there.
    aw nuts... im gonna pretend like i didnt hear that
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    i agree, no way.
    hahaha

Do you even have any idea what happened last night? There won't me two legs of Green River shows to attend- just last night and the festival on Sunday

This was big
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Green River ready for reunion show
    ERNEST A. JASMIN; ernest.jasmin@thenewstribune.com
    Published: July 11th, 2008 01:00 AM
    Seattle record label Sub Pop has been a musical taste-maker for years as it has introduced the masses to such hip acts as Nirvana, Mudhoney, the Postal Service, Iron & Wine and the Shins.

Of those, Mudhoney and Iron & Wine will help celebrate the label’s 20th anniversary this weekend at Redmond’s Marymoor Park, with Flight of the Conchords, the Gutter Twins, the Vaselines and other acts. David Cross will headline a related comedy show tonight at Seattle’s Moore Theatre.

But the most talked about deal at SP20 is the reunion of Green River, the proto-grunge band that spawned Mudhoney, Pearl Jam and Mother Love Bone. It will play Sunday. So we caught up with Mudhoney’s Mark Arm to talk about getting the band back together.

When’s the last time you played with Green River?

The last time Green River really played was in ’87.

Have you gotten together since then?

(Mudhoney’s) Steve (Turner) and I played with (Pearl Jam’s) Jeff (Ament) and Stone (Gossard) at a Pearl Jam encore. We did, like, “Swallow My Pride” and I think maybe “Ain’t Nothin’ to Do” or something like that in ’93 – in Vegas. But, like, Alex (Vincent) wasn’t involved. Bruce (Fairweather) wasn’t involved. Chuck Treece, who played bass with Urge Overkill at the time … played drums. It wasn’t Green River so much as it was a disappointment to Pearl Jam fans.

So this is the first time in 21 years. What are the rehearsals like?

Well, we had two in April. And the first one was, of course, was a little shaky. But it wasn’t that bad. (Chuckles.) And by the second one things were startin’ to gel and everyone felt really positive about it. And then, of course, Pearl Jam went on tour. And then they came back, but we went on tour. And then we came back and they were already on tour again. … They get back today (the interview was last week), but we’re not actually gonna start practicin’ until the sixth.

Does that make you nervous?

A little, sure. But we’ve got, like … five full days dedicated to practicing. If we can’t get it together by then …

I imagine this brings back some memories playing these old songs you played back in the mid-’80s.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised, because I hadn’t thought of these songs for 20-plus years; I hadn’t sung ’em or anything. So I was kind of amazed how some of (the lyrics) came back pretty easily. And looking at it, I think everyone kind of (thought) “I’m not sure why we made this (song) as complicated as we did.”

What do you remember about starting the band?

Steve had joined my first band, Mr. Epp, for like the last six months of the band as a second guitar player. And that band fell apart, and Steve and I wanted to continue doing stuff. I was pretty broke at the time, and for some reason all my guitar equipment had fallen apart. … And so I was like, “I guess I’ll try singing in this next band and see if that works.”

We knew that we wanted to maybe try to get Jeff Ament in the band, because he was in a hard-core band called Deranged Diction. And he played with a distortion box in that band, which was something the bass player in Mr. Epp did. And he also jumped really high, and we thought, “Wow! That’s really cool.” (Laughs) You know, that was all it took.

In fact, we kind of went on this little campaign to recruit him to the point where Steve got a job at the same place where Jeff worked. Because we really didn’t know him. (Laughs)

So you were almost, like, stalking him.

Kind of, yes. (Laughs) We totally stalked Jeff. And then Alex went to high school with Steve and also Stone. But Stone wasn’t in the band right at the beginning.

Do you remember your first couple of gigs?

The very first show we played was at a storefront at 12th and Yesler in the (Seattle) Central District. Some friends of ours had this sort of a psychedelic Velvet Underground/Dream Syndicate kind of band called PMA, and they had a party at their place. They actually lived in this storefront.

Where did you envision taking this?

We envisioned taking it to the Gorilla Room, Natasha’s in Bremerton. Maybe Missoula if we get out there. (Laughs)

I ask because a lot of people point to Green River as a starting point for the whole weird grunge thing that happened after that.

I don’t know if that’s entirely the case. It’s kind of an easy thing to point at because both Pearl Jam and Mudhoney came out of that band. But, you know, the Melvins had been around for about a year or so by the time Green River started. And Malfunkshun had been around for a couple of years. They played with punk bands, but they were kind of almost this mock heavy-metal band.

So there were bands that had laid down a foundation.

Oh, sure. You could even look at what Black Flag was doing and point to that as the beginning of the whole thing. Black Flag started off as a totally fast hard-core band. And by “My War,” the second half of that album was totally three, long, slowed-down Black Sabbath/Flipper kind of songs.

That’s just kind of an easy shorthand thing for journalist or whoever to point to. But the truth is always more complicated and nuanced than most people are willing to (accept).

Ernest Jasmin: 253-274-7389

What: Sub Pop 20th anniversary festival

When: 8 p.m. today, noon Saturday and Sunday

Where: Comedy tonight at the Moore Theatre, 1932 Second Ave., Seattle; music Saturday and Sunday at Marymoor Park, 6046 W. Lake Sammamish Parkway N.E., Redmond

Tickets: $20 for tonight’s comedy show, $35 a day at Marymoor, $50 to $60 for both days

Information: Ticketmaster (253-627-8497 in Tacoma, 206-628-0888 in Seattle or http://www.ticketmaster.com)

On the Net: http://www.subpop.com
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    i wanna know what kim thayil has been up to!!! he just dissapeared!

sounds like a cool show .. although i never really listened to green river
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    i wanna know what kim thayil has been up to!!! he just dissapeared!

sounds like a cool show .. although i never really listened to green river

better start before it's too late man, I like them more than Pearl Jam.
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • Options
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • Options
    Ament didn't rule out the possibility of future Green River activity, saying, "It would be fun to write a couple of new songs with those guys." His true goal is what he calls "the ultimate pairing: we need to go ask the Stooges to do 25 shows or something. For me, then it would be worth it."
  • Options
    Ament didn't rule out the possibility of future Green River activity, saying, "It would be fun to write a couple of new songs with those guys." His true goal is what he calls "the ultimate pairing: we need to go ask the Stooges to do 25 shows or something. For me, then it would be worth it."
    that would be a KILLER tour! i hope it happens... i would allow a temporary PJ hiatus for GR, SG, more solo ed, and mad season (with mark lanegan) activity anyday! lets make it happen! (im sure many will disagree)

• Options
    assasinassasin Posts: 61
    well said. What is Kim Thayil up to?
  • Options
    mark arm wrote:
    better start before it's too late man, I like them more than Pearl Jam.

that is just insanity my friend.
  • Options
    assasin wrote:
    well said. What is Kim Thayil up to?
    nothing turned up on google search... last thing was 2004's Probot album... someone mustve talked to him!!

• Options
    that is just insanity my friend.

I think that's just taste. I dig more edgier noisy bands. Pearl Jam is ok but not my favourite band by any chance.
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • Options
    holy shit- that would be sweet!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    pj14pj14 Posts: 105
    steve is so sweet. i met him long time ago in chicago. nicest guy!! wish i was in seattle so i could see them
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    nothing turned up on google search... last thing was 2004's Probot album... someone mustve talked to him!!

Well I went last night to the Sunset, knew about this show for nearly two weeks and couldn't get in! I waited over 3 hours to no avail (there was a girl there from Germany, flew for this weekend's festivities, also didn't get in).

Anyhow I got to talk to Kim for about 15 minutes or so, I was parked in front of the Sunset and he and I sat on the hood of my car and chatted. He said he only plays music 'recreationly' these days and is just 'taking it easy'.

Also said he was going to be at the shows this weekend. I asked him what his favorite place to play in Seattle was when he was in Soundgarden and he said a place called DITTO on 5th ave in Belltown, was only around for a short time I guess. (maybe close to where the Sit & Spin used to be I'm guessing)

We just hung out, nothing too exciting to report... but it was true, Kim was not orignally on the guest list and had to talk to the owner of The Sunset to get in, his friend that he brought did NOT get in... That place was on lockdown last night!

Oh, but the soundcheck sounded great!
  • Options
    Well I went last night to the Sunset, knew about this show for nearly two weeks and couldn't get in! I waited over 3 hours to no avail (there was a girl there from Germany, flew for this weekend's festivities, also didn't get in).

Anyhow I got to talk to Kim for about 15 minutes or so, I was parked in front of the Sunset and he and I sat on the hood of my car and chatted. He said he only plays music 'recreationly' these days and is just 'taking it easy'.

Also said he was going to be at the shows this weekend. I asked him what his favorite place to play in Seattle was when he was in Soundgarden and he said a place called DITTO on 5th ave in Belltown, was only around for a short time I guess. (maybe close to where the Sit & Spin used to be I'm guessing)

We just hung out, nothing too exciting to report... but it was true, Kim was not orignally on the guest list and had to talk to the owner of The Sunset to get in, his friend that he brought did NOT get in... That place was on lockdown last night!

Oh, but the soundcheck sounded great!
    Wow!!! That it so cool. No pics to share? How could he not be on the list and they wouldn't let his friend in????

Could you hear the show from the parking lot?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    mark arm wrote:
    I think that's just taste. I dig more edgier noisy bands. Pearl Jam is ok but not my favourite band by any chance.

i know, i know, i'm screwin with you. even though i still think you're insane! but hey, to each their own .. i think it's just rare that someone on a pearl jam forum says that they are "ok", let alone them not being their favorite band.
  • Options
    i know, i know, i'm screwin with you. even though i still think you're insane! but hey, to each their own .. i think it's just rare that someone on a pearl jam forum says that they are "ok", let alone them not being their favorite band.

I mean, I liked them a lot more when I was about 17. And now I'm 23. From Yield till Riot Act you could say I was a die hard fan. It was great to see them in South America but about that time I was more excited to see Mudhoney.

Once I got into Pearl Jam right after I got into Mudhoney and Green River. And the latter two are the ones the get more spins in my record/cd/digital player.

Anyway, changing the topic, the Green River show is up in Dimeadozen thanks to my pal Mike Ziegler!
    http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=204855
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mark arm wrote:
    Anyway, changing the topic, the Green River show is up in Dimeadozen thanks to my pal Mike Ziegler!
    http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=204855

Awesome! Downloading now! I will be seeing them on Sunday, so this will be a nice little warmup.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    The sound quality is fuckin' amazing! Diggin' the new Baby Help Me Forget and Leech re-works
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires