Report: Ron Santo Dies at 70

g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Report: Ron Santo dies at 70
Ron Santo, a legend in Chicago as a former Cubs third baseman-turned-wildly popular announcer, died Thursday in Arizona, the Chicago Tribune reports. He was 70.

Friends of the family told the newspaper that Santo died after falling into a coma on Wednesday. Santo struggled with diabetes throughout his life and lost both of his legs to amputation.

Santo was expected to work the coming season as an analyst for the Cubs flagship radio broadcast on WGN-AM 720.

He played for the Cubs from 1960-73 before finishing his career with the White Sox in 1974. He became a Cubs broadcaster in 1990.

Santo was the quintessential Cubs fan and made no apologies for his on-air cheerleading or his utter frustration over a Cub's misplay.

Wonderful player may he always RIP

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Sad sad day as a Cubs fan. May he RIP. Had the pleasure of meeting him for a few minutes and you couldn't have met a nicer person. Saw him a few months later and he remembered who I was. Cubs nation will miss him a lot. It will never be the same listening to games on WGN radio.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Very sorry to hear this.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Oh NO

COME ON

jeeze

and my favorite. Cubs were playing an afternoon game agaist the cardinals a couple of years back. it started raining and after they came back from commercial break to start the next inning, all you heard was dead air/crowd noise for like 30 seconds. the annoucement came out about the rain delay and ron goes "damn it"

i'm about as far from being a cub fan as they come, but i will miss Ron on the telecasts.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RIP
  • RIP.....

This poor guy went through a lot of pain the last 20 years....

Not only health wise...

But with getting SCREWED by both the players and writers, and not being voted in to the Hall Of Fame....

This guy was a Hall Of Fame 3rd baseman if ever there was one....

9 time all-star
    5 time gold glove winner
    342 career homers (without the use of fucking steroids)

And he had diabetes......

This guy isnt a hall of famer??????
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • I always got a kick out of how excited Ron would be when Mr. Vedder showed up to the games.

They were buddies...
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    So sad. Of all the things he put up with in his life, he always came to the booth with the most positive of attitudes...and that was tough given his love for the Cubs.

Gonna miss ya' Ronnie!

What do you wanna bet he gets voted in next year and won't be around to participate. :(
  • mca47 wrote:
    So sad. Of all the things he put up with in his life, he always came to the booth with the most positive of attitudes...and that was tough given his love for the Cubs.

Gonna miss ya' Ronnie!

What do you wanna bet he gets voted in next year and won't be around to participate. :(

Yeah...

Sooner or later Baseball will get there heads out of their asses, and vote this guy in....

But Ron wont be here to enjoy it....

And thats just a fucking shame....
  • Yeah...

Sooner or later Baseball will get there heads out of their asses, and vote this guy in....

But Ron wont be here to enjoy it....

And thats just a fucking shame....

and yet the downright criminal behavior of some today's "superstars" continues to be rewarded.

i don't get it, and i never will.

it is indeed a real shame.
    Nice shirt.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    It's going to be weird listening to games without him there.
    Granted, I realize he hadn't been as "sharp" over the last few years but it was always great hearing his insights to the game...and he also shared many of the frustrations the majority of fans had toward this team.

:(
  • RIP Mr. Santo.

Is it just me or is this like the 5th MLB broadcaster to pass away this year?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    Listening to Cubs games will not be the same without Ron Santo. He was 99% fan and 1% broadcaster and that's what made him so much fun to listen to. He said what most Cubs fans were thinking.

Its sad that he passed away without experiencing at least one of his dreams - induction into the Hall of Fame or a Cubs World Series victory.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,813
    R.I.P.
    I miss igotid88