Strat Or SG

S0nic reducerS0nic reducer Posts: 163
edited December 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok so i went to guitar center with my son today to buy him a new guitar . we both started playng a little more than 2 yrs now. He selected an ESP viper and it rocks. I tried an american standard strat and a gibson sg standard both guitars are in same price range but i kinda like the sg. Which guitar do you guys recomend for Pearl jam to classic rock. Is the strat better as a HSS ?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    they'd both work but for different things. if you're shooting for good chunky classic rock rhythm tones, i'd say SG. more bluesy lead-oriented stuff perhaps the strat.

totally different beasts tough. ultimately down the road the answer is Strat *and* SG.
  • exhausted wrote:
    they'd both work but for different things. if you're shooting for good chunky classic rock rhythm tones, i'd say SG. more bluesy lead-oriented stuff perhaps the strat.

totally different beasts tough. ultimately down the road the answer is Strat *and* SG.
    +1
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense"

Mansfield 08 1
    Boston 2010
    Montreal 2011
    EV Prov 11
    Worcester 1 13
    Worcester 2 13
    Hartford 13
    Boston 16 - 1
    Boston 16 - 2
    Boston 18 - 1
    Boston 18 -2 
    MSG 24 - 1
    Boston 24 -1
    Boston 24 -2 
  • You'll be happy with either....but REALLY happy with the SG;)
    No need to be void,... or save up on life...
    You got to spend it all.....

PJ
    Toronto 2003 · Boston I, 2004 · Kitchener 2005 · London 2005 · Hamilton 2005 · Toronto 2005 · Toronto I, 2006 · Toronto II, 2006 · Mansfield I, 2008 · Mansfield II, 2008 · Philadelphia III, 2009 · Philadelphia IV, 2009 · Cleveland 2010 · *Buffalo 2010* · PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY 2011 · Toronto I, 2011 · Toronto II, 2011 · Hamilton 2011 · London (ON) 2013 · Buffalo 2013 · Toronto I, 2016 · Toronto II, 2016 · Chicago I, 2018 · Chicago II, 2018

EV
    Montreal I, 2008 · Montreal II, 2008 · Albany 2009 · Philadelphia 2011 · Fort Lauderdale I, 2012 · Orlando I, 2012 · Orlando II, 2012
  • markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,075
    SG. Do it.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • Depends. You'll end up having a single coil guitar and a humbucker guitar down the road (probably)... But I personally prefer Strats (never was comfortable with SGs)
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • get the sg.

you can always get a strat later. i'm a gibson guy though....i have 2 strats and i like them, but they just lack the "ooomph" that i need in the guitars that i use. the strats just sound too thin to me...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • I have a couple SGs and a strat. I like both. Ultimately, you're gonna have to choose which one is more comfortable. PJ used both so it's not a matter of "which one would be more to PJ". Watch some vids and see what guitars the guys use. Like everyone has been saying, chances are you'll have both. For what it's worth, the strat was my first guitar. I think it's extremely versatile. The same can be said about SGs. Mike McCready LOVES his strats and Eddie loves his SGs. Good luck and keep us filled in. Also, remember that those guitars won't just give you the PJ tone. You'll have to get the amps and the effects, too.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • IMO you can't go wrong with either one, but if you want stone's sounds you want a les paul or something comparable like an sg. if you want mike's then go with a strat. and like xtreme said, you need a proper amp and pedals if you want to nail those tones though, but that is a whole different discussion altogether.

• SG man! Much more versatile for my liking. I always end up sounding like a crap Hendrix playing a Strat :lol:

To repeat the earlier posts... the guitar IS just the beginning... a couple of pedals will open a door to a world of possibilities
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    i love my Strat, but the SG is on my wishlist. it really depends on what kind of tone you want & which feels comfortable to you.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • JW42505JW42505 Posts: 113
    Id actually focus on the amp, get a tube amp and keeley mod blues pedal. That with almost any guitar will get the sound you are looking for. I would look at a Gibson Les Paul studio instead of an sg. Are these sg and strats american? Is the sg an epihpone? I would suggest saving up for an american, and dont forget a top of the line guitar will sound like shit with a shitty amp.
  • I have a strat that I really, really love even though it's by far not the best one I've played. It's fairly versatile and you can achieve a lot by just experimenting with different pickups. That being said, right now I'd kill for an SG Jr. :)
  • I have a strat that I really, really love even though it's by far not the best one I've played. It's fairly versatile and you can achieve a lot by just experimenting with different pickups. That being said, right now I'd kill for an SG Jr. :)
    I would LOVE an SG special.. I like having a neck pickup...
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    I would LOVE an SG special.. I like having a neck pickup...
    sg specials are nice. only thing is i wish they had some neck binding and trapezoid inlays rather than dots...lacking those 2 things makes the sg special look really cheep...but to me it was not worth another $300 for those 2 things....and they did not make the blue teal flip in an sg standard, so i had to go with the special...

• I'm just a sucker for those P90s and of course a fan of the general idea of a plug and play guitar.
  • I'm just a sucker for those P90s and of course a fan of the general idea of a plug and play guitar.
    i have always wanted something with p-90s. at one time when i was first starting out and did not understand the diffrence between single coils and humbuckers...at that time i bought a early or mid 90's LP special with the 2 P-90s and i had a shitty amp and couls not get it to sound good. i sold it, bought some sweet vintage amps, and now i wish i had that guitar again. i was looking at an sg with P-90s last year but failed to pull the trigger. and recently i was contemplating putting some fralin P-90s in my blue/teal sg, but that things sounds way too sweet to me to even mess with it now...