Options

Stand Up To Cancer

panthergirlpanthergirl Posts: 469
edited May 2008 in The Porch
just saw the new PSA (public service announcement) on tv called Stand Up To Cancer and the very prominent music which runs thru the commercial is
Eddie's "Rise Up" encouraging people to "Stand Up"....!!

lots of stars including Susan Sarandon... Morgan Freeman... Toby Maguire... etc etc...

http://www.standup2cancer.org/

:D
08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    spatspat Posts: 644
    beat me to it :-P . knew there'd be at least one other!
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • Options
    jezebeloriajezebeloria Posts: 600
    I saw it as well. Was waking up and thinking this can't be what I think it is. Props to Ed for letting one of his songs be used for a good cause.
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    I saw it this morning too - gave me goosebumps!!!
  • Options
    OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    Wow.... goosebumps here too. That is a major "full circle" moment for me.

That song has been such an inspiration...

I played it for my Dad when he was in critical care in the hospital with complications from his chemo treatments. He is doing better now.

I'm living with my Dad and taking care of him as he fights... but felt totally burned out and drained. My Dad totally understood when I took the time away from him to fly cross country to the San Diego solo shows. All of the songs Ed played were so spot on with my life right now.

And now Rise is being used in a find the cure campaign?

GOOD ON YOU ED. thanks :)
  • Options
    Just A FanJust A Fan Posts: 15
    I was watching this on tv this morning when they played the ad.
  • Options
    glad to hear your dad is doing better, keep on fighting the fight. I had colon cancer and am now 5 yrs cancer free!
  • Options
    OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    Just A Fan wrote:
    glad to hear your dad is doing better, keep on fighting the fight. I had colon cancer and am now 5 yrs cancer free!

wow, congratulations! 5 years... with many more to come! :)
  • Options
    Just A Fan wrote:

wow!! good for you... five years is excellent!! :D
    keep up the good fight :)

my sister in law is turning 40 this year and a 6 year survivor of aggressive breast cancer...!!
    now my mother in law is dealing with her own breast cancer.

YAY for standing up to cancer!!
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
  • Options
    I got colon cancer when I was 42, no history of it in either side of my families. So it doesn't have to run in the family, it can hit anyone any time. Now my sons will have to get a colonoscopy when they are 32 to screen them. If your doctor suggest this test take it, don't put it off the sooner its caught the better. (sorry, I'll get off the soapbox now)
  • Options
    Congrats to your sister!! Tell your mother-in-law to keep fighting it can be won!
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    thanks for sharing.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    Yeah, I too saw this on the morning news and like everyone else, your ears just PERK up at the first notes.

And yes, cancer DOES suck.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    once again, I get to say,
    I'm so fucking proud to be a PJ fan!!!!!!!
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    and donate guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONATE DONATE DONATE!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Evo2010Evo2010 Posts: 90
    Such is the way of the world
    You can never know
    Just where to put all your faith
    And how will it grow

Gonna rise up
    Burning back holes in dark memories
    Gonna rise up
    Turning mistakes into gold

Such is the passage of time
    Too fast to fold
    And suddenly swallowed by signs
    Low and behold

Gonna rise up
    Find my direction magnetically
    Gonna rise up
    Throw down my ace in the hole

Cancer is this worst. My father was diagnosed with cancer (esophagial) in march of 06 and he was gone by nov 7. Chemo was realy hard on him and realy hard on my family. Im 24 yrs old and a triplet. While my dad was sick my brother was in Iraq fighting Geore fuckin Bushs pointless war for money and oil. He had an unsuccessful surgery Oct 23 and wasnt supposed to make it. The one thing he fought for was to see my brother and know he was ok and see the whole family together. My brother Sean showed up a couple of days later and his face tottaly lit up. It was such a special moment. Me and my dad are huge met fans and a weird twist of fate is that he entered the room the second Carlos Beltran took that last strike looking in the NLCS. It didint even matter. My brother was onlly on emergency leave and had to go back 2 days later. He knew that he wouldnt see him again. The rest of the time was spent making him as comfortable as possible. He passed away holding out my hand and calling for his father who died before I was born. The first verse of rise is realy special to me. You have no idea what the future holds. It is important to live each day like it is your last. Thank you for listening and take to heart what Eddies wonderful lyrics hold.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    Evo2010 wrote:

Cancer is this worst. My father was diagnosed with cancer (esophagial) in march of 06 and he was gone by nov 7. Chemo was realy hard on him and realy hard on my family. Im 24 yrs old and a triplet. While my dad was sick my brother was in Iraq fighting Geore fuckin Bushs pointless war for money and oil. He had an unsuccessful surgery Oct 23 and wasnt supposed to make it. The one thing he fought for was to see my brother and know he was ok and see the whole family together. My brother Sean showed up a couple of days later and his face tottaly lit up. It was such a special moment. Me and my dad are huge met fans and a weird twist of fate is that he entered the room the second Carlos Beltran took that last strike looking in the NLCS. It didint even matter. My brother was onlly on emergency leave and had to go back 2 days later. He knew that he wouldnt see him again. The rest of the time was spent making him as comfortable as possible. He passed away holding out my hand and calling for his father who died before I was born. The first verse of rise is realy special to me. You have no idea what the future holds. It is important to live each day like it is your last. Thank you for listening and take to heart what Eddies wonderful lyrics hold.

that was moving to read. Take care....
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Be SoundBe Sound Posts: 199
    pjtaper wrote:
    once again, I get to say,
    I'm so fucking proud to be a PJ fan!!!!!!!

ditto... it gave me chills
    Don't it make you smile
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    I missed it this morning but will catch it tonight.

Cancer affects us all and I say to cancer.....FUCK YOU!!!
  • Options
    Evo2010 wrote:
    Such is the way of the world
    You can never know
    Just where to put all your faith
    And how will it grow

Such is the passage of time
    Too fast to fold
    And suddenly swallowed by signs
    Low and behold

thanks for sharing with us... so sorry to hear about your dad.

i hope your brother comes home safe and sound as soon as possible.
    hang in there!
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
  • Options
    Evo2010Evo2010 Posts: 90
    thanks for sharing with us... so sorry to hear about your dad.

i hope your brother comes home safe and sound as soon as possible.
    hang in there!

Thanks for the support. My brother did come home last October. Hes doing good and joining the FDNY this year. Luckily he came home in one piece.Him
    and his girlfriend are expecting a child in August. It goes to show you the circle of life is always present. I cant wait for the 24th . Im sure if they play release or come back itll be a pretty emotional experience. But theres nothing better than screaming im still alive at the top of my lungs.
  • Options
    skyeriverwinterskyeriverwinter Posts: 1,894
    My mother died from pancreatic cancer when I was almost 13. Diagnosed in April
    gone in July (just 3 months and gone). I never did get to say goodbye. Goodbye mom...I Love you!!!!!! That was way back in 1982. Still hurts. Thank you Ed for joining the fight.
  • Options
    spatspat Posts: 644
    funny they don't credit ed for the theme song in the "friends and acknowledgements" section. hmmm.
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    just saw the new PSA (public service announcement) on tv called Stand Up To Cancer and the very prominent music which runs thru the commercial is

lots of stars including Susan Sarandon... Morgan Freeman... Toby Maguire... etc etc...

Thanks for posting this chickie, I hadn't seen it yet and I think its wonderful that his song is being used to raise awareness for such an important cause.

Cant wait to see you soon.... :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    celebrationcelebration Posts: 318

Cancer affects so many people's lives. Almost everyone has a sad story.

Nice to see this terrible disease back in the publicity spotlight

Kids with cancer saddens me the most, but, it's all bad news.

I remain hopeful for a cure.
    ########################
    Celebration, the ball's in play