Thinking about learning how to play guitar...

LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
edited December 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
Any recommendations for a decent, good starter electric guitar?

Thanks
www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
1998: Birmingham
2000: Charlotte, Tampa
2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
2004: Kissimmee
2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
2010: MSG2
2012: Music Midtown
2014: Memphis
2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
2022: Nashville
2023: Ft. Worth II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LukinFan wrote:

Thanks
    What is the price range ?
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense"

Mansfield 08 1
    Boston 2010
    Montreal 2011
    EV Prov 11
    Worcester 1 13
    Worcester 2 13
    Hartford 13
    Boston 16 - 1
    Boston 16 - 2
    Boston 18 - 1
    Boston 18 -2 
    MSG 24 - 1
    Boston 24 -1
    Boston 24 -2 
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    LukinFan wrote:

Thanks
    to be honest, I have no clue. Either way, it will have to be something that I have to save up for.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• LukinFan wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:

Thanks
    to be honest, I have no clue. Either way, it will have to be something that I have to save up for.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Affi ... 1175988.gc

I recommend this great starter pack!

Mansfield 08 1
    Boston 2010
    Montreal 2011
    EV Prov 11
    Worcester 1 13
    Worcester 2 13
    Hartford 13
    Boston 16 - 1
    Boston 16 - 2
    Boston 18 - 1
    Boston 18 -2 
    MSG 24 - 1
    Boston 24 -1
    Boston 24 -2 
  • Squiers are usually pretty good starting guitars, and they are pretty cheap

You can go with http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Affi ... 1473220.gc

Or if ur like me, and u like telecasters go with this http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Affi ... 1148535.gc
  • KM43590KM43590 Posts: 298
    Find yourself a second hand store and look for something that speaks to you, something you can make you own! I did just that 17 years ago and since then I've added about a dozen or so guitars to my collection, but that first one still feels and sounds the best. It was a Stratocaster style Harmony electric, all black for $75... it's been beat to hell since then, but it sounds awesome and I wouldn't part with it for the world. You can always buy a brand new guitar later on when your more experienced. Start small and dream big, that's what I recommend! But whatever you decide, just enjoy the ride and Rock On! :D
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    Squier Fender Strat

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 36&bih=725

This is the one I have.

Really Nice "Starter" probably more of legitimate guitar than a starter guitar.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier_Stratocaster
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    cool- thanks everyone!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• LukinFan wrote:
    cool- thanks everyone!
    No problem!

Mansfield 08 1
    Boston 2010
    Montreal 2011
    EV Prov 11
    Worcester 1 13
    Worcester 2 13
    Hartford 13
    Boston 16 - 1
    Boston 16 - 2
    Boston 18 - 1
    Boston 18 -2 
    MSG 24 - 1
    Boston 24 -1
    Boston 24 -2 
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376

This is the one I have, it sounds really good. Now I need to learn how to play it! :D
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • My first was a Squier Strat (Eric Clapton style). Played it for almost 13 years until I saved up and bought a Les Paul. Great guitar. Wish I still had it!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    LukinFan wrote:

Thanks

If I can give you an advice, an electric guitar isn't the best way to start, if you never touched a guitar in all your life.. Much better to start with a good acoustic guitar for a decent price, so you can fully dedicate yourself to the study of chords and scales, and you will not be distracted by amps, pedals and stuff like that..

That's my opinion, anyway
  • i started on an electric for one simple reason. it was easier to tune. i bought an electric and a cheep tuner and i was good to go. a few months later i bought my first little practice amp. to my mind it is impossible to learn scales and notes if i can't keep the damn thing in proper tuning. for that reason alone learning on an electric was very valuable to me.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Jammalambo wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:

Thanks

If I can give you an advice, an electric guitar isn't the best way to start, if you never touched a guitar in all your life.. Much better to start with a good acoustic guitar for a decent price, so you can fully dedicate yourself to the study of chords and scales, and you will not be distracted by amps, pedals and stuff like that..

That's my opinion, anyway

though it is not the way i started, i tend to agree with this.

that being said, i started on electric because that was what i was most interested in and perhaps it held my attention longer and got me through the initial struggles.
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    Well, I think that strings on an electric are usually more softer to play than acoustic, so starting with an acoustic will make your fingers strong and callous enough :D
    I remember I was playing acoustic guitar for three years, and when I picked up my first electric + amp I was like "wow, this is so much easy to play!" especially when it comes to hammer-on and pull-off, tapping, ecc.. :lol:
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    humpzjames wrote:
    Squiers are usually pretty good starting guitars, and they are pretty cheap

You can go with http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Affi ... 1473220.gc

Or if ur like me, and u like telecasters go with this http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Affi ... 1148535.gc

My first was a Squier. Did me well for a good 5+ years until I was ready to move on.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Sorry to crash in on your thread, but similarly im about to try learn myself, except im looking to get an acoustic guitar for about 250 euro (thats about 330 dollars). Wondering if anyone could recommend some? love to hear a few different opinions on types. I got a cheap tanglewood electric when i was young and just picked up a few chords and some tabs, loved it, but never really learned properly and it got damaged a few years back, so my fiance is treating me to an aoustic for my birthday this week!
    Thanks!
    Drop the leash, Drop the leash........
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    decved wrote:
    Sorry to crash in on your thread, but similarly im about to try learn myself, except im looking to get an acoustic guitar for about 250 euro (thats about 330 dollars). Wondering if anyone could recommend some? love to hear a few different opinions on types. I got a cheap tanglewood electric when i was young and just picked up a few chords and some tabs, loved it, but never really learned properly and it got damaged a few years back, so my fiance is treating me to an aoustic for my birthday this week!
    Thanks!

This would be a great guitar in your range:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=515653
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • phungiphungi Posts: 641
    BinFrog wrote:
    decved wrote:
    Sorry to crash in on your thread, but similarly im about to try learn myself, except im looking to get an acoustic guitar for about 250 euro (thats about 330 dollars). Wondering if anyone could recommend some? love to hear a few different opinions on types. I got a cheap tanglewood electric when i was young and just picked up a few chords and some tabs, loved it, but never really learned properly and it got damaged a few years back, so my fiance is treating me to an aoustic for my birthday this week!
    Thanks!

I have the GS330S, same price, amazing guitar for the money...
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • BinFrog wrote:
    decved wrote:
    Thanks!

Thanks a million for that, this looks great and might be just the one! :) I wonder what there shipping to Ireland is like!!
    Cheers
    Drop the leash, Drop the leash........
  • AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    LukinFan wrote:

Thanks

"Real guitars are for old people" - Eric Clapton, err Cartman ;)
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • decved wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:
    decved wrote:
    Thanks!

Thanks a million for that, this looks great and might be just the one! :) I wonder what there shipping to Ireland is like!!
    Cheers
    Art and Lutherie!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V