I am considering becoming a teacher...

FearTheBeardFearTheBeard Posts: 666
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
but do not even know where to start. One of my best friends was a teacher so I am going to talk to him this weekend.

Are any of you teachers, specifically in California? Is it hard to get a job right now? Where can I go to get questions answered? Any advice would be appreciated. :D:D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i feel bad for you. low pay, bad raises, lots of red tape. i went down the road to be teacher... made it to 90 semester hours before i became an accountant.
    "Can't fuckin' Twitter, hate that shit" - EV
  • i feel bad for you. low pay, bad raises, lots of red tape. i went down the road to be teacher... made it to 90 semester hours before i became an accountant.

100% correct.
    I'll be back

lol, I am considering it. I have been in sales for 10 years and just tried a stint in law enforcement, it didn't work out. Looking for something new to do...
  • I'm either going to nursing school or accounting.???
    I'll be back

lol, I am considering it. I have been in sales for 10 years and just tried a stint in law enforcement, it didn't work out. Looking for something new to do...
    bless you if you do teaching. i am sure it is comendable and fufilling profession but it has its drawbacks. anything related to technology, healthcare, or $ is much better pay and benefits.
    "Can't fuckin' Twitter, hate that shit" - EV
  • JzPJzP Posts: 933
    stay away from toddlers they are bad news :lol:
    ~JzP
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    but do not even know where to start. One of my best friends was a teacher so I am going to talk to him this weekend.

Are any of you teachers, specifically in California? Is it hard to get a job right now? Where can I go to get questions answered? Any advice would be appreciated. :D:D

Good hours and vacation schedule but bad everthing else!
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I'm studying teaching. Got my last exam for the year today. hard work studying. But children are great. They keep you going most of the time.

Great holidays, but I gotta fly, get to my exam starts in just under 2 hrs and I gotta get through peek hour..

Peace out....
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Become a professor.
    2009: Philly 3 & 4
    2010: Newark, MSG I
    2011: EV Philly
    2012: Philly MIA
    2013: Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Philly 1 & 2, Baltimore
  • you're all a bunch of whiney lil bitches if you think teaching is that bad
    if you got the right mindset and are good with people then go into it

40K right out of school with pretty good benefits is nothing to sneeze at... some room to grow too

not to mention, for every shitty moment there is something equally redeeming... and thats coming from a cynic like me

don't go into it if you're trying to relive your glory days or power trip... i know plenty of those types

I just read a list somewhere of the top 15 cities looking for teachers... i think there were 2 in CA, a couple in FL, and most in TX

GOOD LUCK
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    I used to want to be a teacher. Since having kids of my own I have realised that I don't really like children that much! :? Love my own just not other peoples.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    tinkerbell wrote:
    I used to want to be a teacher. Since having kids of my own I have realised that I don't really like children that much! :? Love my own just not other peoples.

:lol::lol::lol:

yeah any kid you can hand back is a good kid.

p.s. i love my children... seriously. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    has ups & downs
    wifey makes about 50g so pay isn't that bad
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    My husband teaches high school. Assuming you have a college degree, take the CBEST test and this will allow you to substitute in most districts--see if you like teaching. Be sure to sub at the level you want to teach in.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Thanks for the info/advice people! I am still considering... :D
  • too many people go into it for the summers off. BIG mistake if you aren't passionate about it. But those that are, love it. It's a very rewarding profession (assuming you have a good superintendent and principle). The pay for a teacher up here in Canada is nearly the same as a freaking lawyer if you keep up your studies.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Lizard wrote:
    My husband teaches high school. Assuming you have a college degree, take the CBEST test and this will allow you to substitute in most districts--see if you like teaching. Be sure to sub at the level you want to teach in.

Do that. My wife is a teacher in San Diego, been teaching for 10+ years. It's tough to get a full time job right now, lots of layoffs due to budget constraints. But you can start out subbing, and get a rep at a given school if you do good work. If you can't get a contract, you may be able to get a long term sub position (i.e., someone goes on maternity leave and they need a sub for a few months).

That's pretty much how she started out for the first year, lots of subbing until she got a contract. Also, be prepared to be at a tough school the first few years, until you can get some seniority.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    merkinball wrote:

Do that. My wife is a teacher in San Diego, been teaching for 10+ years. It's tough to get a full time job right now, lots of layoffs due to budget constraints.

My sister teaches at a school near Sacramento. She has been in the game for a bit, so she's been dodging the layoffs, however, where do all those students go when the other teachers are laid off? You guessed it, to the few remaining teachers.
    She teaches high school and has one class with 47 students in it.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    milarso wrote:

My sister teaches at a school near Sacramento. She has been in the game for a bit, so she's been dodging the layoffs, however, where do all those students go when the other teachers are laid off? You guessed it, to the few remaining teachers.
    She teaches high school and has one class with 47 students in it.

Yikes. Elementary is lucky, I guess. Only 30-35 kids to a class. :roll:
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • I'm working on becoming a teacher right now and I currently sub. There are alternative routes in some states. My state offers a non-tradition license (I'm not sure if this is available in every state). Essentially, if you have any bachelor's degree and meet the minimal GPA requirements you can get enrolled in this program and teach while you go to school. I'm not sure if I'm going to do that or get my MAT, which will give me my teacher's license while I earn my masters. The former is a quicker route, but depending on what subject area you want to teach or grades, you may have to take a couple of classes before you can enroll in the program. I have a son in first grade and live in an area where my PR/Journalism degree is essentially useless. I love subbing and look forward to a steady job where I can keep the same hours at my son, an added bonus is I'm really trying to get a job at his school. The pay could be a lot better, but I have to say that between the decent hours, fairly good benefits, and great vacation time, I don't think I will have much to complain about if I'm lucky enough to get a job. I would love some advice from anyone who might be familiar with the non-traditional route vs. the master program, I really can't make up my mind on which would be best.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • you're all a bunch of whiney lil bitches if you think teaching is that bad
    if you got the right mindset and are good with people then go into it

40K right out of school with pretty good benefits is nothing to sneeze at... some room to grow too

not to mention, for every shitty moment there is something equally redeeming... and thats coming from a cynic like me

don't go into it if you're trying to relive your glory days or power trip... i know plenty of those types

I just read a list somewhere of the top 15 cities looking for teachers... i think there were 2 in CA, a couple in FL, and most in TX

GOOD LUCK

40K right out of school? I'm in the wrong state! I'm in my thirteenth year, have three degrees (BA, MA, and EdS) and am barely clearing 45K. No, I did not go into it for the money, but it is definately not a glamorous job. The government sticks their grimmy little hands deeper and deeper into education every year taking more and more of a teacher's control of what she can do in a classroom. Pretty soon we might as well be animated robots programed by the government but yet you can not discipline the ones who need it. Big brother is always watching.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,039
    Lizard wrote:
    I'm a teacher and I wouldn't suggest trying out substitution first - I think that would push you away from the field. I really don't know how subs do it
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • LukinFan wrote:
    Lizard wrote:
    I'm a teacher and I wouldn't suggest trying out substitution first - I think that would push you away from the field. I really don't know how subs do it
    yah i did it for the first time on friday... without any sub plans cause the teacher had an emergency... though i don't imagine it would be any easier with plans... since you wouldn't know what was going on or where anything is

kids don't respect you... you don't know the class/school disciplinary measures... its babysitting... except for less money than most babysitters make these days... and for 25 extra kids
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    LukinFan wrote:
    Lizard wrote:
    it's called baptism by fire!!! ;)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited November 2014
    Here is what a teacher can be capable of
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeX1H7ajOvQ
    How has it worked out OP?
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I've come down on teachers who put that work, that necessary dedication, on the back-burner for purposes of their own...agenda.

But the ones who give a shit, who give of themselves, who impact their students years beyond - invaluable.

Mrs. Speigelman, English
    Dr. Love (yes, his name WAS Dr. Love), Science
    Mr. Schiffrin, History
    Madame Pusey, French
    Ms. Sasaki, Algebra

I will always remember and be thankful for each of them.

"Old school" takes on a different meaning, since those days are a far cry from what I imagine today's educators have to deal with.

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,785
    My son's fourth grade teacher makes 125K a year, has great benefits and works 10 months a year.

Sounds like a good gig to me. If you can fight through the poverty of the early years, and find the right town, it is a great career. Not to mention the personal rewards.
  • Get_Right said:

My son's fourth grade teacher makes 125K a year, has great benefits and works 10 months a year.

Sounds like a good gig to me. If you can fight through the poverty of the early years, and find the right town, it is a great career. Not to mention the personal rewards.

This would signify the highest salary I have ever heard for a teacher... by far.

If this is accurate, this is a private school paying this teacher and the tuition for attending is astronomical. The school has the opportunity to attract the finest teachers given what they are paying and I'm sure the programs are second to none.

Congrats on being able to send your child to such a school.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    edited November 2014
    Such schools also symbolize and perpetuate pretty much everything that is wrong with society.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,631
    PJ_Soul said:

Such schools also symbolize and perpetuate pretty much everything that is wrong with society.

No sure which schools you mean by "such schools" PJ_Soul, but generally speaking, most do exactly that. I used to teach so I guess it's OK for me to say that.

But that said, this is all the more reason we need good teachers. Of all the many teachers I've had through 12 years of public school and over 200 college course credits, the best of them had a majorly great impact on my life. Here's what some did for me:

Miss Painter helped me to discover that I am creative and can write.

Mrs. McGilvery taught me that sometimes the toughest teachers give the best life lessons and that sometimes they are the ones who are tough because they want to to help you learn to be resilient and do your best.

Mr. Jones proved to me that walking a different path is the way of the brave soul.

Mrs. G. let me choose what to read and from that day on, I never stopped.

Professor John Handy taught me the entire history of jazz.

Ms Welty showed me how to see and thus to draw.

Dr. Pender challenged and pushed me greatly and helped me learn how find my own way.

Henry showed me that it is far better to hack rather than to pack.

These are the kind of people you never forget.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.