Gran Turismo 5

Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
edited December 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Holy schnikes, it's finally here!

The early reviews indicate it may fall short of being a masterpiece. It may have to do with high expectations, but when you delay a game for four years, it should have high expectations.

IGN gave it an 8.5

A 10/10 simulator wrapped up in a 5/10 game – it's driving is as exhilarating as anything that's gone before, and its slavish obsession with the minutiae of many of its cars ensure it's an encyclopaedia of automotive delights. Its brilliance on the track, however is matched by its sloppiness off of it, and there's a lack of polish that would at one time have seemed sacrilegious to the series.

No matter the reviews, I'm ready hit the asphalt!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    There are a lot of things in the reviews that I pretty much expected (i.e. I didn't expect perfection).
    That said I would have pre-ordered it anyway, should be good.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Sweet!! Been waiting a long time for this. :D

Anyways I'll be getting it soon, still have a couple of other games I gotta get caught up on first.
    Anyone get their mitts on this yet?
    I hear the handling is excellent, and karting is really fun.
    My friend has been killing himself trying to ace every license test, haha!
    Of the two people I have talked to who have it, one has said 30 minute install and the other said 50, but the load screen still says installing after the full install.
    Speaking of load times, I hear they're pretty awful!
    130mb patch already, too.

I am hoping mine arrives tomorrow so I can take the plastic off GT logo on the racing wheel!
  • i didn't pre-order it, but i'm definitely going to be getting it. can't wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvC66NZPOyY
    9/1/00, 9/2/00, 9/3/00, 12/31/00, 3/2/01, 4/29/01, 6/21/01, 7/25/01, 8/31/01, 9/1/01, 9/2/01, 4/18/02, 8/30/02, 8/31/02, 8/31/02, 9/1/02, 9/22/02, 3/22/03, 5/6/03, 6/29/03, 8/29/03, 8/30/03, 8/30/03, 8/31/03, 2/21/04, 4/2/04, 4/3/04, 9/3/04, 9/4/04, 9/4/04, 9/5/04, 2/19/05, 7/22/05, 9/2/05, 9/3/05, 9/3/05, 9/4/05, 1/22/06, 6/7/06, 9/1/06, 9/2/06, 9/2/06, 9/3/06, 7/6/07, 8/31/07, 9/1/07, 9/1/07, 9/2/07, 3/7/08, 8/29/08, 8/30/08, 8/30/08, 8/31/08, 7/11/09, 6/4/10, 6/11/11
    Well, what does everyone think?

My beefs are the lack of events and cars, and the entire B-spec mode, of course.
    Other than that it's a lot of fun to play. Some of the events are insanely difficult and not worth trying to upgrade a silver to a gold, haha!
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Rygar wrote:

My beefs are the lack of events and cars, and the entire B-spec mode, of course.
    Other than that it's a lot of fun to play. Some of the events are insanely difficult and not worth trying to upgrade a silver to a gold, haha!
    I'm waiting for a deal on it before I buy it. Hell, I waited almost four years, what's a couple more months?

Is the B-spec mode have the cars with less detail?
    Jason P wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

I'm waiting for a deal on it before I buy it. Hell, I waited almost four years, what's a couple more months?

Is the B-spec mode have the cars with less detail?
    I got 8 off and another 10 off something down the road, was good enough for me.

Hmm, the cars with less detail is in all modes I believe. They divided them up into standard and premium, and I am not entirely sure what this is for - it's something like 200 premium, 800 standard, and premium have in-car views, better visuals, more upgradable components, etc, and the 800 are potentially ported right from GT4 (don't quote me on that, though). I was reading that standard cars aren't available for photo mode but I haven't looked at photo mode so I can't confirm that.

In B-spec mode you create a driver then guide them through their own 'career mode', essentially, using your cars (which sucks when legit damage kicks in cause it's out of your pocket). You then have to watch each race in real time (and they're twice as many laps in Bspec as they are in Aspec) and continually tell your driver to maintain, increase, decrease pace or overtake, and if they get too steamed or too bored they put it in the wall.
    Rygar wrote:
    I got 8 off and another 10 off something down the road, was good enough for me.

Hmm, the cars with less detail is in all modes I believe. They divided them up into standard and premium, and I am not entirely sure what this is for - it's something like 200 premium, 800 standard, and premium have in-car views, better visuals, more upgradable components, etc, and the 800 are potentially ported right from GT4 (don't quote me on that, though). I was reading that standard cars aren't available for photo mode but I haven't looked at photo mode so I can't confirm that.

In B-spec mode you create a driver then guide them through their own 'career mode', essentially, using your cars (which sucks when legit damage kicks in cause it's out of your pocket). You then have to watch each race in real time (and they're twice as many laps in Bspec as they are in Aspec) and continually tell your driver to maintain, increase, decrease pace or overtake, and if they get too steamed or too bored they put it in the wall.
    Hmm, sounds like B-spec will be skipped when I get the game.

So the 800 standard cars don't have in-car views?? What the hell were they working on for so long?
    Jason P wrote:
    Hmm, sounds like B-spec will be skipped when I get the game.

So the 800 standard cars don't have in-car views?? What the hell were they working on for so long?
    You will still win credits and new cars for competing in B spec.
    And what took them 6 years I am not really sure. They do spend a lot of time putting out needless demos, real dashboards and driving real race cars.
    A lot of the game looks like it was just imported and HD'd from GT4 (some tracks, cars, etc) - they look good, but clearly that's not where they put all their time.
    The actual A spec mode does not have a lot of events compared to GTs of past, which to me is where the real disappointment lies.
    And don't get me wrong, I complain a fair bit but it's still a good game. GT6 is rumoured to be headed for a summer 2012 release date (ha!). I hope I finish Forza 4 by then!
  • Got this game last week and thought it was meh....good but not so much fun...then discovered that you can play music from your own library...punched in Hartford 08 and voila! Racing to Breakerfall just made this game 5x more enjoyable..thanks Pearl Jam :ugeek:
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
    I ended up getting the game this weekend and so far I'm very impressed ... 9/10 at least overall. As other reviews have mentioned, the menu system is horrible and confusing, but the actually racing is amazing. I use the Logitech wheel (cheaper one) and the feedback really makes you "feel" the car.

I'm using a nearby laptop to help figure out which cars to focus on for the beginner events. Once I build a stable of cars up, I won't rely on it. I'm also trying to focus on the premium cars as I like the interior view ... although it should be mentioned that the bumper cam for the standard cars is completely acceptable. The HUD display is set up very well (it's amazing how often car games screw that up). And thank goodness that the license tests are not mandatory!

Go-karts are great fun by the way!
  • one thing that bothers me a little is the sound effects.....I have been in a couple fender benders in real life and I dont remember it sounding like a slammed 2 water jugs together
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
    Jason P wrote:
    I ended up getting the game this weekend and so far I'm very impressed ... 9/10 at least overall. As other reviews have mentioned, the menu system is horrible and confusing, but the actually racing is amazing. I use the Logitech wheel (cheaper one) and the feedback really makes you "feel" the car.

I'm using a nearby laptop to help figure out which cars to focus on for the beginner events. Once I build a stable of cars up, I won't rely on it. I'm also trying to focus on the premium cars as I like the interior view ... although it should be mentioned that the bumper cam for the standard cars is completely acceptable. The HUD display is set up very well (it's amazing how often car games screw that up). And thank goodness that the license tests are not mandatory!

I like going my own way for car progression, but it's hard sometimes. Another thing to watch out for is making sure you don't buy a car that is a prize car later on ;)

Is the wheel you got the Driving Force GT (with the GT logo horn button and red dial for assist adjustment)?
    That's the one I have and I'm loving it.

RygarNine is my psn ID, anyone can add me although poor MCA has had me on his friends list for more than a year and we haven't played anything, I'm surprised he hasn't deleted me yet!
    Rygar wrote:
    Is the wheel you got the Driving Force GT (with the GT logo horn button and red dial for assist adjustment)?
    I also have the driving force GT. I can't imagine the G27 being worth the upgrade as I usually drive automatics in games.

The GT is about 10x better then Microsoft's attempt at a wheel.
    Jason P wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    I also have the driving force GT. I can't imagine the G27 being worth the upgrade as I usually drive automatics in games.

I actually find MS's wheel to be decent. Anyway, create a new psn I'd with today as your bday, 1988, add yourself as a friend, start gt, get your bday car, and hope it is the 88 jaguar race car, and send to yourself. if not, delete game save and try again!
    The intro to GT5 is brilliant! It's basically the best produced "how it's made" shoot ever. Well done.
    Rygar wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

I actually find MS's wheel to be decent. Anyway, create a new psn I'd with today as your bday, 1988, add yourself as a friend, start gt, get your bday car, and hope it is the 88 jaguar race car, and send to yourself. if not, delete game save and try again!
    I need to figure out how to change my ps3 gamertag first ... after 853 attempts and getting rejected, my 854th choice was accepted and afterward I determined the name would be a good pseudonym for a member of the Village People. Once I figure out another one, I'll let you know.
  • Rygar wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

I like going my own way for car progression, but it's hard sometimes. Another thing to watch out for is making sure you don't buy a car that is a prize car later on ;)

RygarNine is my psn ID, anyone can add me although poor MCA has had me on his friends list for more than a year and we haven't played anything, I'm surprised he hasn't deleted me yet!

I just ordered the GT logo wheel should be here in a couple days....I too, have MCA on my list although we played a game or two last year...haha.....you have NHL11? I'll play ya
  • Jason P wrote:
    I need to figure out how to change my ps3 gamertag first ... after 853 attempts and getting rejected, my 854th choice was accepted and afterward I determined the name would be a good pseudonym for a member of the Village People. Once I figure out another one, I'll let you know.

wait, you can change your gamertag? i was told you couldn't do that. how'd you do it?
    9/1/00, 9/2/00, 9/3/00, 12/31/00, 3/2/01, 4/29/01, 6/21/01, 7/25/01, 8/31/01, 9/1/01, 9/2/01, 4/18/02, 8/30/02, 8/31/02, 8/31/02, 9/1/02, 9/22/02, 3/22/03, 5/6/03, 6/29/03, 8/29/03, 8/30/03, 8/30/03, 8/31/03, 2/21/04, 4/2/04, 4/3/04, 9/3/04, 9/4/04, 9/4/04, 9/5/04, 2/19/05, 7/22/05, 9/2/05, 9/3/05, 9/3/05, 9/4/05, 1/22/06, 6/7/06, 9/1/06, 9/2/06, 9/2/06, 9/3/06, 7/6/07, 8/31/07, 9/1/07, 9/1/07, 9/2/07, 3/7/08, 8/29/08, 8/30/08, 8/30/08, 8/31/08, 7/11/09, 6/4/10, 6/11/11
    Jason P wrote:
    The id doesn't have to be one you'll keep, just to use to get the birthday cars for 'that year', and send them to your regular profile.
    I just ordered the GT logo wheel should be here in a couple days....I too, have MCA on my list although we played a game or two last year...haha.....you have NHL11? I'll play ya
    It's pretty good!
    I don't have NHL, nopes!