Matt Millen

PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
edited November 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
It's bad enough that Matt Millen helped destroy a mediocre franchise, but why would networks ask for his insight on college and pro football.

He gives commentary on being sub-par?

I cringe every time I see this clown on tv.

What a disgrace.

PBM
"We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    I don't think he's bad as an announcer. There are much worse...dierdorf, gruden (THE WORST), theismann, etc
  • The Fixer wrote:
    I don't think he's bad as an announcer. There are much worse...dierdorf, gruden (THE WORST), theismann, etc

I don't understand how you can do a piss-poor job as a general manager and then get paid to be a commentator. He has a proven track record of sucking.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

The Fixer wrote:

I don't understand how you can do a piss-poor job as a general manager and then get paid to be a commentator. He has a proven track record of sucking.

PBM

I don't think there is any correlation to GM/player performance and game announcing ability. He's not getting paid to make draft picks or sign free agents...he's getting paid to announce a game. I think he does a decent job
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    Kinda funny . i just watch this http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... &success=1

came here and ran into this - I am a lions fan . no bandwagon here . and he killed us for Years :cry:
  • The Fixer wrote:
    I don't think there is any correlation to GM/player performance and game announcing ability. He's not getting paid to make draft picks or sign free agents...he's getting paid to announce a game. I think he does a decent job

He is providing commentary on a subject that he sucks at.

I don't see how his opinions as a commentator (not play-by-play) are valid.

PBM

• jokertt wrote:
    I am a lions fan

Me too.

I can't stand the guy.

PBM

The Fixer wrote:

He is providing commentary on a subject that he sucks at.

I don't see how his opinions as a commentator (not play-by-play) are valid.

PBM

you know he played football right? He was a pretty good player...just like a lot of other commentators.

He sucked as a GM...there's no debating that. He's not bad as an announcer though. He obviously knows the game. I think he's pretty good at in-game analysis. Like I said, he's much better than some of the other crap that's on TV these days
  • The Fixer wrote:
    you know he played football right? He was a pretty good player...just like a lot of other commentators.

He sucked as a GM...there's no debating that. He's not bad as an announcer though. He obviously knows the game. I think he's pretty good at in-game analysis. Like I said, he's much better than some of the other crap that's on TV these days

I realize he can give his in-game analysis as someone who played and and worked in upper management.

Seeing someone make bad decisions and, ultimately, ruin a franchise for a decade, on TV giving his opinions...that bothers me.

Is ESPN that hard up for talent?

PBM

The Fixer wrote:

I realize he can give his in-game analysis as someone who played and and worked in upper management.

Seeing someone make bad decisions and, ultimately, ruin a franchise for a decade, on TV giving his opinions...that bothers me.

Is ESPN that hard up for talent?

PBM

To answer your question, yes. I can't stand ESPN. I only watch that channel when a game is on.

Seems like you've got a lot of pent up anger directed towards millen. you're a lions fan, so I can understand that. Looks like your squad is pointed in the right direction now.

Can't believe I just wasted 10 minutes defending matt millen. I swear I'm not related to him. haha
  • The Fixer wrote:
    Can't believe I just wasted 10 minutes defending matt millen. I swear I'm not related to him. haha

:lol:

That feels better.

PBM

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    There's definitely worse than Millen.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    the man knows his football. he was a horrendous evaluator of talent as a gm. but he knows the game inside and out.

i thought he was one of the best analysts before taking the lions gm job. i don't see why it would be any different today.

i will admit it would drive me insane seeing his mug on tv if i were a lions fan though :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • I will admit it would drive me insane seeing his mug on tv if i were a lions fan though :lol:

That's what bothers me the most. We have the worst record in football during his tenure. We're left still picking up the pieces and this ass-clown gets a job as a commentator.

If he knew the game so damn well, why didn't he analyze a way to make the Lions better.

Seriously, I wish I could suck at my job and then give my commentary on how to do it effectively.

PBM

I will admit it would drive me insane seeing his mug on tv if i were a lions fan though :lol:

That's what bothers me the most. We have the worst record in football during his tenure. We're left still picking up the pieces and this ass-clown gets a job as a commentator.

If he knew the game so damn well, why didn't he analyze a way to make the Lions better.

Seriously, I wish I could suck at my job and then give my commentary on how to do it effectively.

PBM

X'S AND O'S DUDE. x's and o's are not what a general manager does. not even close. he's not analyzing other general managers. he's analyzing something he did extremely well as a player 20 some years ago.
    www.myspace.com
  • X'S AND O'S DUDE. x's and o's are not what a general manager does. not even close. he's not analyzing other general managers. he's analyzing something he did extremely well as a player 20 some years ago.

I get the argument in his favor. I have a hard time rewarding someone with a prime job after failing at being a GM for 10 years. I don't see how he can be taken seriously.

PBM

X'S AND O'S DUDE. x's and o's are not what a general manager does. not even close. he's not analyzing other general managers. he's analyzing something he did extremely well as a player 20 some years ago.

I get the argument in his favor. I have a hard time rewarding someone with a prime job after failing at being a GM for 10 years. I don't see how he can be taken seriously.

PBM

he was a very good analyst before going to detroit. that's probably why he got hired as an analyst again.
    www.myspace.com
  • he was a very good analyst before going to detroit. that's probably why he got hired as an analyst again.

During that time, his credibility was shot. That's my opinion, but it's one that is shared with a lot of football fans.

I don't see how you can take the guy seriously again regardless of his time as a player or time previously on-air.

PBM

he was a very good analyst before going to detroit. that's probably why he got hired as an analyst again.

During that time, his credibility was shot. That's my opinion, but it's one that is shared with a lot of football fans.

I don't see how you can take the guy seriously again regardless of his time as a player or time previously on-air.

PBM

If this was the case herm edwards would never work again
    The Fixer wrote:

PBM

wasn't dick vitale an awful coach too? same with corso?

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

wasn't dick vitale an awful coach too? same with corso?

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!

yes and yes. vitale coached at Detroit mercy and corso coached at indiana

my favorite herm edwards quote was when he didn't know what the internet was. this was like 3 years ago. hahahaha...classic
  • Millen helped ruin a franchise.

As a Lions fan, I have a problem hearing him talk about the game of football.

If you fail miserably at such a high level position, your opinion is no longer valid.

It is evident you don't know what you are doing.

PBM

Millen helped ruin a franchise.

If you fail miserably at such a high level position, your opinion is no longer valid.

PBM

you don't get it. you're too biased to get it.

what's the deal with stafford? that guy ever gonna be healthy for a full season?
    www.myspace.com
    Millen helped ruin a franchise.

PBM

not for nothin, but did millen really 'ruin' the lions? they sucked before he got there. he just kept that trend going. Kinda like everyone that takes over any role for the mets
  • you don't get it. you're too biased to get it.

what's the deal with stafford? that guy ever gonna be healthy for a full season?

I get it...I just don't like it.

Stafford is really good (good in college and good when he plays)...he just doesn't have an offense line to keep him healthy.

PBM

• The Fixer wrote:
    not for nothin, but did millen really 'ruin' the lions? they sucked before he got there. he just kept that trend going. Kinda like everyone that takes over any role for the mets

Granted, they were bad. That actually helps prove my point. How do you take a team that gets either the number 1 or 2 draft spots and make them worse?

Yeah, he's the guy I want analyzing my game. He's a scholar of the sport.

PBM

The Fixer wrote:

Granted, they were bad. That actually helps prove my point. How do you take a team that gets either the number 1 or 2 draft spots and make them worse?

Yeah, he's the guy I want analyzing my game. He's a scholar of the sport.

PBM

i had a problem with him commentating on the draft with espn. this is a man that took a wide receiver with his first pick like 3 years in a row :lol::lol: ...that i have an issue with. analyzing the game itself--no issue there.
    www.myspace.com
  • i had a problem with him commentating on the draft with espn. this is a man that took a wide receiver with his first pick like 3 years in a row :lol::lol: ...that i have an issue with. analyzing the game itself--no issue there.

Fair enough.

:lol:

PBM

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i enjoyed him in the booth before the lions stint. after, not so much. he sounds so defeated.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    The Fixer wrote:
    gruden (THE WORST)/quote]

No way...He's about the most entertaining announcer to listen out of all of them.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    DewieCox wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    gruden (THE WORST)/quote]

No way...He's about the most entertaining announcer to listen out of all of them.

he's pretty brutal to listen to....and i am always picturing him doing that eye thing he does.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg