Self-checkout at the grocery store!

FirstExitFirstExit Posts: 973
edited November 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Well, now that holiday season is upon us (for people like me, who begin celebrating on November 1st, it has been), everyone's gonna be hitting the supermarket harder than ever, so I figured this thread was appropriate. Here are my personal tips and tricks for the self-checkout line

1) It's best to go in the mid-afternoon. The grocery store is not only dead at this time, but they'll probably only have 1 attendant at the self-checkout, and he or she is most likely going to be apathetic to whatever problems you have, because they're about to be on lunch break. So when the check-out computer tells you "INCORRECT WEIGHT" when you try to steal produce, he'll just press "cancel" and you'll be on your way.

2) Buy Organic food and enter it as Regular

3) If I'm buying a big case of beer, like a 30 rack of Bud Light or something, the UPC scan code is on the box. Instead, what I do is tear the carton at the handle, and make it so a UPC from a CAN is showing, so the register scans the can instead of the box, and charges me for a 6-pack. This works well with soda and expensive beer too!

let's see yours!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lephtylephty Posts: 770
    As an insider of the business, the can trick won't work! At least on my companies machines. Our machines would detect the weight difference~
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    The correct wording of the title should be:

Self-checkout at the grocery store: Or how I learned to steal and tell myself it was ok
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • BinFrog wrote:

Self-checkout at the grocery store: Or how I learned to steal and tell myself it was ok

+1

I've just about given up going to my local supermarket because you are all but forced to use self-checkout, which I can't stand. They've done a good job in moving my business to Trader Joe's and the like. Congrats SuperFresh. Is it that hard to pay a cashier $7 an hour?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    BinFrog wrote:

Sound like bragging too.

I love the self-check. It's quick and fast even without cheating.
    #FHP
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I do a lot all by myself, why shouldn't checking out at the grocery store be one fo them...
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I do a lot all by myself, why shouldn't checking out at the grocery store be one fo them...

Ain't nothing wrong with self-checkout. Being dishonest and trying to scam the store out of money is the issue.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,707
    Especially when its a small load (of groceries of course), you can certainly handle it on your own.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Poncier wrote:
    Especially when its a small load (of groceries of course), you can certainly handle it on your own.

ten-items-less-lehr20.jpg
  • Too bad you can't buy a car with self check out.

:D
    Hold On
  • FirstExit wrote:
    Well, now that holiday season is upon us (for people like me, who begin celebrating on November 1st, it has been), everyone's gonna be hitting the supermarket harder than ever, so I figured this thread was appropriate. Here are my personal tips and tricks for the self-checkout line

1) It's best to go in the mid-afternoon. The grocery store is not only dead at this time, but they'll probably only have 1 attendant at the self-checkout, and he or she is most likely going to be apathetic to whatever problems you have, because they're about to be on lunch break. So when the check-out computer tells you "INCORRECT WEIGHT" when you try to steal produce, he'll just press "cancel" and you'll be on your way.

2) Buy Organic food and enter it as Regular

3) If I'm buying a big case of beer, like a 30 rack of Bud Light or something, the UPC scan code is on the box. Instead, what I do is tear the carton at the handle, and make it so a UPC from a CAN is showing, so the register scans the can instead of the box, and charges me for a 6-pack. This works well with soda and expensive beer too!

let's see yours!
    But if ya go to the regular checkout....
    You can hand the girl working the register a note....
    Stating that you have a weapon.....
    And you can steal all the money in the register......

This fucking thread sux........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....