Options

snow on my satellite dish :(

WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
edited December 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
so....I just moved to salt lake from vegas. it fucking snows here! who knew? :? ;)

anyway, we got about a foot of snow last night. dish or direct are my only TV choices. I've got people coming over to watch the NFL package, so I had to climb my 16 foot ladder (not tall enough), hang backwards and whack the dish from behind until the snow slipped off. I ate a bit of snow in the process.

so....cold weather people.....who has tried the heater or the cover? the covers are cheap and would be a breeze to install. the heaters are about 100 bucks and would require power or an ugly extension cord. I can't be risking life and limb every time it snows! :lol:
If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
VIC 07
EV LA1 08
Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
Columbus 10
EV LA 11
Vancouver 11
Missoula 12
Portland 13, Spokane 13
St. Paul 14, Denver 14
Philly I & II, 16
Denver 22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    lmao the cover are sufficient for Utah. Salt Lake you guys also get ICe so just make sure that every so often you go out on decent days and spray some RainX de icer on it, ( about once a month Id say) and it keeps great. At least that worked when I had dish tv out here in Kansas City..good luck whose your team?
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Nothing better than eating snow while cleaning it. But I don't have dish.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    lmao the cover are sufficient for Utah. Salt Lake you guys also get ICe so just make sure that every so often you go out on decent days and spray some RainX de icer on it, ( about once a month Id say) and it keeps great. At least that worked when I had dish tv out here in Kansas City..good luck whose your team?
    my team? cowboys :shh: :shifty:

we made it thru the day. been drinking eggnog and whiskey.....today was a success with the TV but I need to find a solution.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    imalive wrote:
    my team? cowboys :shh: :shifty:

we made it thru the day. been drinking eggnog and whiskey.....today was a success with the TV but I need to find a solution.

Radio.

Was that helpful?
    :lol:
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    imalive wrote:
    so....I just moved to salt lake from vegas. it fucking snows here! who knew? :? ;)

anyway, we got about a foot of snow last night. dish or direct are my only TV choices. I've got people coming over to watch the NFL package, so I had to climb my 16 foot ladder (not tall enough), hang backwards and whack the dish from behind until the snow slipped off. I ate a bit of snow in the process.

so....cold weather people.....who has tried the heater or the cover? the covers are cheap and would be a breeze to install. the heaters are about 100 bucks and would require power or an ugly extension cord. I can't be risking life and limb every time it snows! :lol:

NOTV!!! :lol::lol:

youll be fine... read a book.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

I read plenty of books. sunday is football day. my people count on me!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    imalive wrote:

I read plenty of books. sunday is football day. my people count on me!

sunday is the lords day son. ;)

GO TEAM!!!
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    I had to bump my own thread :roll: because I need some input.

Surely, some of you east coast sports fanatics have dealt with this. what works? heater, cover or slippery spray? :?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    imalive wrote:

Surely, some of you east coast sports fanatics have dealt with this. what works? heater, cover or slippery spray? :?

Cable.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    imalive wrote:

Not sure how helpful this will be, but when I was younger and living in my parents house they'd send me out there ( :x ) to clean it up...ya know, cause I was the shit head teenager...

Anyway, I used to use this thing that was almost like a swiffer, but it had an end that was big, flat, and had and extension on the pole...that thing got pretty damn long. It was perfect, I would just stand on the ground, reach it up to the roof and clean the dish off with ease. I was determined to find an alternative to climbing on the roof in with the snow and ice up there. :? :idea:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options

Cable.

not an option :cry:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Not sure how helpful this will be, but when I was younger and living in my parents house they'd send me out there ( :x ) to clean it up...ya know, cause I was the shit head teenager...

Anyway, I used to use this thing that was almost like a swiffer, but it had an end that was big, flat, and had and extension on the pole...that thing got pretty damn long. It was perfect, I would just stand on the ground, reach it up to the roof and clean the dish off with ease. I was determined to find an alternative to climbing on the roof in with the snow and ice up there. :? :idea:
    as you know, dave, now is not really the time for me to go check it out....."blizzard warning" :?

but when the skies clear tomorrow and it's eight (fucking) degrees, I will go out and assess the situation. the problem is, it's on a very high roof and faces parallel to the overhang....so, I'm not sure the super-swiffer would even work. was yours homemade or something you can buy?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

Cable.

not an option :cry:
    dcfaithful wrote:

as you know, dave, now is not really the time for me to go check it out....."blizzard warning" :?

but when the skies clear tomorrow and it's eight (fucking) degrees, I will go out and assess the situation. the problem is, it's on a very high roof and faces parallel to the overhang....so, I'm not sure the super-swiffer would even work. was yours homemade or something you can buy?

I'm pretty sure it was something you could buy. It may have been a window cleaner because it had some kind of a felt cover that I would assume was used for cleaning glass...?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    i've had direct tv for 3 years now and never once had a problem during a rain storm, snow storm or windy day. i don't use a cover, heater or slippery spray.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    metsfan wrote:
    i've had direct tv for 3 years now and never once had a problem during a rain storm, snow storm or windy day. i don't use a cover, heater or slippery spray.
    As always, a helpful post from metsy. :P
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    mickeyrat wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    lol wiseass :P
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    yeah.....I had great anticipation for an east coaster's input and I get........that. :roll: :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    snow, satellites?
    never heard about it
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    dcfaithful wrote:
    imalive wrote:

perhaps you can go over to his place and take care of it for him.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    imalive wrote:

perhaps you can go over to his place and take care of it for him.

I'm pretty sure this nifty contraption isn't at my parents house anymore. :(
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    dump the dish
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    dump the dish
    it's my only option....and it's snowing again (hard)....and the NFL comes on in an hour. :shock:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    dump the dish
    it's my only option....and it's snowing again (hard)....and the NFL comes on in an hour. :shock:

Yep, looks like another good snow is coming our way.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    you must be doing something wrong or something

in the late 60's or early 70's
    my grandfather erected a tv antenna tower beside the house (in iowa not utah)
    in the early 80's we bought the place from him
    for all my childhood years we had 3 or 4 channels thanks to the tv antenna

at some point in the mid to late 90's we had a satellite installed
    this satellite replaced the tv antenna
    it was about 40 feet off the ground
    i don't remember snow and ice ever fucking it up

then again
    i don't remember a lot of things... :lolno:

by the way
    this tv antenna/satellite tower was great fun for us kids to climb and it aided in our abilities to get on the house and garage roofs :evil: :twisted: :evil:
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    you guys must have to put your dish at a different angle vs. us NE IL subcribers. we've had dish for 3.5 years and snow never piles up on the dish. we've had ice storms as well, and they've never been an issue.

teh only problem we ever have is before a big thunderstorm. for some reason, it always goes out for a minute or two just as the storm is starting.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    dump the dish

cable is not offered in your area? :shock:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    dump the dish

maybe imalive lives in rural utah
    does cable tv run into the country these days?

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:

maybe imalive lives in rural utah
    does cable tv run into the country these days?
    I live right in Salt Lake fucking City....yet, no cable :evil: . somehow, by the grace of god, the dish is still bringing in a signal even tho it's been snowing ALL day. I did order some super slippery goo today....but I will have to wait until god knows when to get on my roof. :?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,691
    I think you should call Dish out for some bogus reason and when the guy is there say " hey , while you're up there , can you spray this on the dish?"
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    pop an umbrella over it. one of them golf umbrellas. or maybe a beach umbrella. :mrgreen: :thumbup:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    pop an umbrella over it. one of them golf umbrellas. or maybe a beach umbrella. :mrgreen: :thumbup:

have you ever witnessed snow in person catherine?
    chinese-happy.jpg