How to determine the age of an LP

MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
edited December 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey all,

I recently decided to pickup a used Epi LP Standard to mess around with. Does anyone know how to date the instrument? I know with my Strat and PJ bass it is in the serial number, but I have been unable to find any accurate info on the Epis.

Thanks,
"Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Hey all,

I recently decided to pickup a used Epi LP Standard to mess around with. Does anyone know how to date the instrument? I know with my Strat and PJ bass it is in the serial number, but I have been unable to find any accurate info on the Epis.

Thanks,

If all else fails, maybe you could try and contact them to inquire about the serial number? :?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Hey all,

Thanks,
    it is in the serial number. i would take it to a shop and they can tell you. i know gibson has changed the way they do their serial numbers several times depending on the era. on my gibsons newer than 1975 the first and 5th number show the year, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, show the day of the year (ie:311=the 311th day of the year, which is november 7) and the last 2-3 numbers show the what rank the guitar is (ie:101= the 101st guitar produced that day). i think it is the same for epiphone but i am not entirely sure...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

here ya go. this is supposed to be able to date your guitar, as long as you have a serial number....

edit to add, this actually works. i typed in my epiphone lp serial number and it told me the factory where it was made, the year, the month, and the production number for that month..

there ya go.

• DaveyGDaveyG Posts: 225
    Cut it open and count the rings. ;)
    10/23/10, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (24th Bridge School Benefit)
    10/24/10, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (24th Bridge School Benefit)
    07/11/11, Paramount Theater, Oakland, California (Eddie Vedder Solo Show)
    10/22/11, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California (Eddie Vedder Solo Show, 25th Bridge School Benefit)
  • http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

here ya go. this is supposed to be able to date your guitar, as long as you have a serial number....

edit to add, this actually works. i typed in my epiphone lp serial number and it told me the factory where it was made, the year, the month, and the production number for that month..

there ya go.

Yeah, I saw that site too, but it tells me that the serial number is unrecognized. I know that it was made in China, so that tells me that it is no older than 2002 since the Gibson/Epiphone plant didn't open until then.

Thanks anyways
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

• DaveyG wrote:

Hardy har har! Should be easy if it is layered plywood! :D

• DaveyG wrote:

Hardy har har! Should be easy if it is layered plywood! :D
    dude don't laugh.

if that is your guitar, you don't need to date it, just find out when it was born and rock it out....
    :mrgreen: