Options

Four Loko

The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
edited November 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone try this stuff? Been in the news a lot recently. Sounds like it's really getting some kids in trouble
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,811
    It makes me feel old that some kind of alcoholic mischief has passed me by.

I have a feeling it's along the lines of Sparx but A LOT worse. And I loved Sparx.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    A friend bought some at a game and it was poured into a clear cup...looked like chunky pee. It has been equated to: 6 beers and 4 Red Bulls in one can...the college kids call it 'Blackout in a Can'.
    Some say you can't taste the alcohol...but it's banned in Washington state and I guess the news today is that the FDA is 'looking into' alcoholic beverages that contain caffeine. I had a Sparx...I didn't like the taste :sick:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    This stuff was the shit on New Year's Day mornings. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparks_%28drink%29

I saw this doc called "Beer Wars" and how this chick who helped build up Sam Adams was trying to start up a new caffeine beer, essentially mortgaging her whole life on the idea - house, cars, everything except her kids. Well, then I read this article where the gov't wants to ban all caffeinated alcoholic drinks. Welp, I guess I know how that girl's future has turned out.
  • Options
    holy shit that shit will fuck u up,, i mean we tried it this pass weekend out of a beer bong,,, an like wow i woke up across the street at the neighbors,, its def will make the night blurry lol
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    4and20 wrote:
    A friend bought some at a game and it was poured into a clear cup...looked like chunky pee. It has been equated to: 6 beers and 4 Red Bulls in one can...the college kids call it 'Blackout in a Can'.
    Some say you can't taste the alcohol...but it's banned in Washington state and I guess the news today is that the FDA is 'looking into' alcoholic beverages that contain caffeine. I had a Sparx...I didn't like the taste :sick:

I stopped at "chunky pee"

:sick:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    dcfaithful wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

I stopped at "chunky pee"

:sick:

Yeah. I'm picturing the marketing meetings.

Marketing: OK, boss, based on our focus group testing we found that we can either market this as "Chunky Pee" or "Blackout in a Can"

Boss: Blackout in a Can it is!
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    banning and alcohol and caffeine mixed? i am gonna be pissed if they outlaw jagerbombs in bars...

i remember budweiser had a caffeinated beer a couple of years ago called Be (it is supposed to be a big B and an exponent little e and it is called "b to the e") terrible name , i know...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    banning and alcohol and caffeine mixed? i am gonna be pissed if they outlaw jagerbombs in bars...

It never fails that a bunch of idiots will ruin something for everyone. :roll:

I doubt it'll happen though. Do you know how many cocktails that will outlaw?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    I think it's outlawing the 'pre-made' caffeinated alcoholic drinks...better stock up! :lol:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    4and20 wrote:
    I think it's outlawing the 'pre-made' caffeinated alcoholic drinks...better stock up! :lol:

:lol:

If they outlawed that Clamato shit I wouldn't be bothered one bit. Let's throw that in there too.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

If they outlawed that Clamato shit I wouldn't be bothered one bit. Let's throw that in there too.

just don't take away my Boone's ! (I love that syrupy shit)

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    4and20 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

just don't take away my Boone's ! (I love that syrupy shit)

Boone's I can handle. Plus, you get a pass cause you're a girly. If you were a man I'd insist I show up to your doorstep with some bourbon and show you how we get shit done! :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    4and20 wrote:

I've seen 4 beers and 2 cups of coffee. Otherwise known as rocket fuel
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    So how is this different, conceptually, from an Irish coffee?
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

Just to get things straight, i've done my research and it is the equivilent of 2, 12oz beers and 3, 8oz cups of coffee...and the adults call it 'over-hyped syrupy garbage that proves college freshmen will drink anything in a can'

I'll stick with Irish Coffee
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

Just to get things straight, i've done my research and it is the equivilent of 2, 12oz beers and 3, 8oz cups of coffee...and the adults call it 'over-hyped syrupy garbage that proves college freshmen will drink anything in a can'

from their website:
    Four Loko:

* Four Loko is sold in 23.5-ounce cans with either 6 or 12 percent ABV, depending on state regulations.
    * It was introduced to the market in August of 2008 and today comes in eight flavors: Orange, Fruit Punch, Lemonade, Cranberry Lemonade, Uva (grape), Watermelon, Blue Raspberry and Lemon Lime.

Caffeine and Alcohol Equivalents:

* Four Loko has roughly the same alcohol content as wine and some craft beers, and far less alcohol by volume than hard liquor.
    * A can of Four Loko also has roughly the same amount of caffeine as a tall Starbucks coffee.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    4and20 wrote:

from their website:
    Four Loko:

* Four Loko is sold in 23.5-ounce cans with either 6 or 12 percent ABV, depending on state regulations.
    * It was introduced to the market in August of 2008 and today comes in eight flavors: Orange, Fruit Punch, Lemonade, Cranberry Lemonade, Uva (grape), Watermelon, Blue Raspberry and Lemon Lime.

Caffeine and Alcohol Equivalents:

* Four Loko has roughly the same alcohol content as wine and some craft beers, and far less alcohol by volume than hard liquor.
    * A can of Four Loko also has roughly the same amount of caffeine as a tall Starbucks coffee.[/quote]

So based on 6 abv for loko and 5 abv for beer

so even less caffiene than what I read...which makes it even more over hyped
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    shit sounds crazy

probably not on the market in Canada
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    dcfaithful wrote:

yes, that would outlaw the entire "bomb" family of shots....and we can't be having that now can we?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

Conceptually, this is a ghetto Irish juice box.

I'd rather my vomit tasted like coffee than Electric Malibu Grape-Melonade.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,218
    dcfaithful wrote:

yes, that would outlaw the entire "bomb" family of shots....and we can't be having that now can we?

they would not outlaw 'bomb' shots - 1st those drinks aren't pre-made and this drink is very different in that the SIZE of it. having one 4 loko is like 3 or 4 of those shots at one time. the news here in Philly did a story on it last night and said it is the equivalent of 4 cans of red bull and 3-4 shots of vodka in ONE can. it comes in like a 24 oz. can - have you seen the cans of these things? they are massive.
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378

Or rum and Coke?

Come to think of it, this coffee could use some whiskey.
  • Options

Or rum and Coke?

All coffee deserves at least a little whiskey.
  • Options

Or rum and Coke?

All coffee deserves at least a little whiskey.
    I want one now...

::Irishing up coffee::
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i just do Cocaine, i'm old fashion
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Fairly popular at my school.

It doesn't even taste that good at all- but it DEFINITELY gets the job done. Just 1 of those things gets you pretty gone. Not a huge fan of Four Loko, I'll stick to other stuff.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    jmurrayjmurray Stratham, NH Posts: 3,538
    i just do Cocaine, i'm old fashion

I like the way you think.
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    The Fixer wrote:
    Anyone try this stuff? Been in the news a lot recently. Sounds like it's really getting some kids in trouble

I've done the 4Loko thing a several times in recent months...that stuff will make you take back things that you never stole...with that said, I'm staying away from it...one is more than enough, two is out of control...and three...holy hell, I could not imagine what three would do....